Guitar Nut

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shit. Didn't see that Apache earlier on that thread.
I can already imagine one in deep TV Yellow with a single P90, rosewood board, mahogany body and neck, no binding.
Or maybe a 7-string with a single humbucker, in pelham blue.
Oooooh... A shredder model.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone thinking about buying a DSG - just do it. The experience alone is worth the price of admission and at the end of it you get a world-class instrument for a surprisingly reasonable cost.

I'm not going to detail the process, because I don't want to give the game away and spoil it for those ordering later on. But trust me - you will love it.

southpaw219

Reaction score
I want to know why Gibson makes $2500 Les Pauls with a crappy nut. They look like a piece of plastic carved out by a 5 yr old. I just bought a lp standard an I just replaced the nut with a bone one. The overall install was bad as well as the slots were cut too low. Lots of buzzing. Just a real sloppy job. I shouldn't have to make a new nut for a guitar I paid $2500 for. Has anyone else had this problem?....... thanks.

They do it because you still buy their guitars. Complaining after the fact doesn't motivate them to change anything. Refusing to spend good money on something whose value doesn't reflect its cost *might.*

From what we can see from (and about) Desert Star on just this thread, it seems like a better idea to order a custom guitar from him, for a far lower cost than nearly any Gibson and—as far as the testimonials go—far better quality.

Last edited:

whgmkeller

Reaction score
I liked the adjustable nut just fine on my 2017 HP model. Easist nut adjustment I ever made!

Interesting topic. I only have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro Peter Frampton model right now but am looking to buy a real LP as well.

In my "research" I stumbled upon the High Performance models that have/had a "Zero Fret Adjustable Nut" made of metal - I think Titanium in the latest installment. That seems to be an ideal solution. I hope to be able to buy a 2017 or later HP LP model in a few months. Alternatively, it would be great if it would be possible to install such a nut in any LP, but that seems to be hard to be and would require more adjustments to the neck than I would be willing to do myself.

Cheers,
Willem

Roxy13

Reaction score
Interesting topic. I only have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro Peter Frampton model right now but am looking to buy a real LP as well.

In my "research" I stumbled upon the High Performance models that have/had a "Zero Fret Adjustable Nut" made of metal - I think Titanium in the latest installment. That seems to be an ideal solution. I hope to be able to buy a 2017 or later HP LP model in a few months. Alternatively, it would be great if it would be possible to install such a nut in any LP, but that seems to be hard to be and would require more adjustments to the neck than I would be willing to do myself.

Cheers,
Willem

There is a lot of hate out there for the HP models just because they aren't "traditional". I've had no issues with the titanium nut nor the G Force tuners. When I bought it I knew the G Force wouldn't work forever. The day it doesn't, fine, I'll put on manual ones. That aluminum case more than makes up for replacing the tuners down the road. That thing is a tank! I doubt you could find a more protective case. It is really heavy though!

Ed R.

Reaction score
I’m having issues with my just bought Classic
The nut is diabolical especially on the G and low E strings
The nut is too high so when playing open chords it’s out of tune
I had it looked at last week but it’s still not right
Will get the shop to look at it again
I bought a Classic (goldtop) which had intonation "problems", like you mentioned, g & e. Put on new bone nut and viola! it's a beast now. From the factory, bad, the original owner had it fixed, he assured me, lol.
mine was not seated correctly against the fretboard (an actual gap, with the nut about .010" away (toward the tuners). Hope yours get corrected and rocks then. :)

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Most guitars ship from the factory with the string height too high at the nut. Economics are involved, but there is also the factor that a heavy-handed picker might cause buzzing, which will usually kill a sale in a music store. Music stores could take the time to set up the nut slots before guitars are put out on display, but if they did a generic job for 10-46 strings, then a player who uses .008s or .009s might experience buzzing on the open strings. Setting the string height at the nut is one of the last steps that should be done in a set-up, after deciding on string gauge, adjusting the neck relief, setting the bridge height, and so forth. The player's picking style factors in here as well--someone with a light touch can have the strings lower at the nut than a hard picker/strummer. It's just unavoidable that nut slots will almost always have to be adjusted on a new guitar, and that means ramping them and cutting them lower in most cases. If you want your guitar to play and sound its best, and to stay in tune, you will have to accept the fact that the nut will have to be worked on. Replacing Gibson's vintage-correct nylon nuts with bone is a good move, except on a vintage guitar. I think most players will notice and appreciate the change in sound.

amgomez

Reaction score
The nut on my standard came with a perfectly cut nut. It was even rounded off and polished. Looked like it was bleached bone.
Bone nuts are overhyped. The Tusq nuts are great. They self lubricate and I never have tuning issues. It really depends on who finished the nut at Gibson. Blaming a whole company for one guy/girl is ridiculous.
You know what, I hate bone nuts. Always had tuning issues with them.

mgdesigns

Reaction score
I've made about 20 nuts for the guitars I own from a $5 dried and dyed dog bone from Petsmart. Smells horrible when sanding on the ROSS, but the sounds are way better than plastic, nylon, Tusq, or anything. Next I am going to try fallen deer antler. If I screw up, I make another on.

80smetalhead

Reaction score
Mine was cut too low on my first Gibson LP Standard so I replaced it with a bone one. I’ve also had to do the same with other Les Pauls I’ve owned since then.

I’ve always just considerd the additional $$ to have a good nut installed to be part of the price of admission to own such a great guitar.

James Hill

Reaction score
I want to know why Gibson makes $2500 Les Pauls with a crappy nut. They look like a piece of plastic carved out by a 5 yr old. I just bought a lp standard an I just replaced the nut with a bone one. The overall install was bad as well as the slots were cut too low. Lots of buzzing. Just a real sloppy job. I shouldn't have to make a new nut for a guitar I paid $2500 for. Has anyone else had this problem?....... thanks.
What year is your Standard? Mine is a "17" and the nut is bone but is cut high as a giraffes p*%%¿, I have not cut it deeper for fear my lack of experience with filing a nut could be a huge mistake, l took it to a "luthier" who said it's factory height he thinks is low?¿? WTH? I just want it cut lower...ugh

Adinol

Reaction score
I disagree..... a machine is leveling the frets..... variables are minimal.

The Floyd Rose locking nut is mechanical and functions perfectly.

You don’t have hand cut gears in a Rolex watch.

Precision machinery can be designed to cut a piece of plastic, bone, or whatever is required for a simple nut.

I have to admit, you make some very interesting (and string) points.

If they can design a machine to cut perfect wristwatch gears then a nut should not be a problem. I guess a further developed PLEK machine should just do the trick. But I think the PLEK still needs to perfecting.

I have access to a lot of brand new Gibson guitars and I often go over the fretboards to see how perfect the PLEK work is. I have yet to find one Gibson that has perfect fret work. In fact, I just purchased a Les Paul Standard with a significantly high second fret. That fret is so high that it leads me believe that it must have moved after the PLEK work was done. But I'm always finding subtle height discrepancies and it's impossible to conclude with absolute certainly if the PLEK machine did not do a perfect job or if the frets moved afterwards.

However, I have found other PLEK issues, such as frets that have been PLEK crowned off center. In this case the PLEK machine clearly did not do a good job. No argument there.

plek.jpeg

The PLEK machine is clearly not as old as a milling machine used to cut gears. I think that the machine that cuts gears for watches must be greatly oversized, so that any minor discrepancies are going to be negligible on the miniature gears. And I believe that the PLEK machine, which is basically a CNC is undersized and has too many undersized moving parts to be able to deliver the expected precision.

So, judging from all the imperfections that I frequently see on new Gibson guitars, I would say the PLEK machine just needs perfecting. And one day there might be a PLEK machine that actually does a perfect job every time, so we can just put the strings on and go play.

AJK1

Reaction score
I bought a Classic (goldtop) which had intonation "problems", like you mentioned, g & e. Put on new bone nut and viola! it's a beast now. From the factory, bad, the original owner had it fixed, he assured me, lol.
mine was not seated correctly against the fretboard (an actual gap, with the nut about .010" away (toward the tuners). Hope yours get corrected and rocks then. :)
Yep I had it adjusted yesterday, the luthier lowered the Low E and G slots in the nut and it plays perfectly now
Stays in tune on all open chords so I’m pleased as punch

Wise Guy

Reaction score
my hated 2015 junior has one of the best nuts ever...adjustable.that guitar plays well and nut heigth can be reset in about 3 minutes...but nobody liked this feature.nothing like tradition,huh?
I loved both the adjustable nut and the wider fretboard. Those are 2 things I thought were great that came out of the era.

Latest Threads