Guitar Nut

Roxy13

Reaction score
I liked the adjustable nut just fine on my 2017 HP model. Easist nut adjustment I ever made!

tonyclark1

Reaction score
I wonder if the whole Gibson line is this way or does it change when you get to a certain price of guitar? At what price point do you get a custom hand made guitar?

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the whole Gibson line is this way or does it change when you get to a certain price of guitar?
The only Gibson I had with a nut issue was my 1992 LP Standard. G string had to be lowered a bit. My problem child in the nut category was my PRS Custom 22. Had to have a new one made.
At what price point do you get a custom hand made guitar?
When you hire a qualified luthier to build you one

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you PM LT Dave...as a retired guy i cant afford to.
You might be surprised at how affordable his builds are.

Thing is, whether you're paying him $2,000 or $4,000, you're getting the same level of quality and workmanship.
He's not going to give you a fucked up nut just because you spent less than you would have on a new Standard.

His new Apache line will start below $1,000.

AJK1

Reaction score
I’m having issues with my just bought Classic
The nut is diabolical especially on the G and low E strings
The nut is too high so when playing open chords it’s out of tune
I had it looked at last week but it’s still not right
Will get the shop to look at it again

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
No wait seriously?!!
Amazing, I have to get in on this

Yes!..... @LtDave32 is building me a top of the line Apache.... he is also experimenting with a semi-hollow Apache..... Any custom feature can be applied to the Apache,... but the base model will be awesome on its own.

He can cut a 6/6 nylon nut for your LP if you like...... besides swinging the “Ban” hammer he’s a talented craftsman/luthier.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Yes!..... @LtDave32 is building me a top of the line Apache.... he is also experimenting with a semi-hallow Apache..... Any custom feature can be applied to the Apache,... but the base model will be awesome on its own.

He can cut a 6/6 nylon nut for your LP if you like...... besides swinging the “Ban” hammer he’s a talented craftsman/luthier.
thor-hammer-toolbox-2017-dave-delisle-davesgeekyideas.gif

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I'm also slightly disappointed with the setup that came on my LP Modern.

Nut was way too high, bridge saddles didn't come with the right radius (for a compound radius neck, the bridge should have 16"+, not 12")

But, finish was great, binding was great, pickups are great... so I lived with it. Did I wish a $2800 guitar came with a better setup? Hell yeah... my Suhr is just a bit more expensive, but I feel confident I can just buy from the dealer, unbox it and take it to the stage right after. Same thing for any Japanese ibanez I've had (note that you can get a MIJ ibanez for <$1000 today)

diogoguitar

Reaction score
oh sorry, I guess I'll have to disagree with one point, OP. I don't think these nuts in the 2019+ Gibson USA's are bad. They are TUSQ graphtech. In my experience, they are great material.

They may have been under cut or not properly setup.. but they sound and feel great.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
You might be surprised at how affordable his builds are.

Thing is, whether you're paying him $2,000 or $4,000, you're getting the same level of quality and workmanship.
He's not going to give you a fucked up nut just because you spent less than you would have on a new Standard.

His new Apache line will start below $1,000.
wow...specs?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
wow...specs?
The Apache is still in a kinda' "secret squirrel" stage of final development. A couple of members have them on order, and I think Dave posted a teaser shot of one of the bodies a few weeks ago, but a PM to Dave will get you the 411.

But in a nutshell, it's not a production-line guitar. Every Desert Star is hand-built from selecting the wood off of the rack to final buffing, and every one is built to the customer's specifications.
If you want a short-scale, Dave will build you a short scale. If you want a baritone, Dave will build you a baritone.

I haven't seen any previous buyers post what they paid, so I'm not going to provide an actual number, but my DSG build will be an Explorer-type body, double 7-layer bound, AAAA Flame top, bound neck and 5-layer binding on the headstock, ebony board, gold hardware (including frets) and black plastics.
Basically, picture an Explorer version of a Les Paul Custom, but in a sweet transparent tangerine finish that makes the flame maple just explode.
I supplied the bulk of the hardware and pickups (Pearly Gates w/gold covers) including the TonePros locking bridge, and with case, my total cost to Dave out the door will be a fair amount less than a new LP Modern.
I haven't added up what I spent on the hardware ;)

Here's the sneak peak picture of the first Apache...

Last edited:

KStopper65

Reaction score
my total cost to Dave out the door will be a fair amount less than a new LP Modern.
Shit. Didn't see that Apache earlier on that thread.
I can already imagine one in deep TV Yellow with a single P90, rosewood board, mahogany body and neck, no binding.
Or maybe a 7-string with a single humbucker, in pelham blue.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fellas, I'll be debuting the DSG Apache pretty soon.

I've made one prototype model, but then a guy down the street from me up and bought the damn prototype. It was just a prototype with a two-piece African Mahog body and Home depot flat-sawn spruce top with wide grain. It was to hang in the shop for reference. But the heart wants what the heart wants, so I chambered it to a semi-hollow and put two F holes in it at his request.

Even the budget model will have a one-piece Honduran mahogany neck, and feature a Lindy Fralin P90 (I'm a featured builder on Lindy's site) and a perfect nitro-lacquer finish, wet-sanded and buffed to a mirror shine.
Excellent hardware and parts, PIO cap, nylon 6/6 nut, your choice of fret wire and neck carve. So you are still getting a custom guitar tailored to your playing style. The budget model body is either two-piece African mahogany or alder. Every guitar is fret-leveled and crowned and polished, intonated perfectly and ready to hit the stage. Budget models feature a wrap-tail bridge.

I feature a one-piece Honduran neck on the budget model as standard, because the neck is the heart and soul of the instrument. Nothing matters as much as the neck. It has to be soulful and out of this world good, and It needs to be the carve you prefer. I want my customers to never put the damn thing down. You won't need to "upgrade" to a better pickup because you've got a boutique wind in there to start with. I come from the school of "when you buy something, you shouldn't have to throw more money at it".

All that for under a grand.

On mid and high-grade models:

Other woods (such as one-piece Honduran body, two-piece Swamp ash, Alder etc) are available. There is a vibrato model. Pickups one or two, HB or P90 by Lindy Fralin come standard, other choices are also available. Binding, fancy woods, chambered, drop-top with flamed maple or whatever you want are all choices you can have. Fret board woods, inlays, etc. Sky's the limit. Prices go up as the choices become more involved, of course.

Latest Threads