Guitar Nut

tonyclark1

Reaction score
I want to know why Gibson makes $2500 Les Pauls with a crappy nut. They look like a piece of plastic carved out by a 5 yr old. I just bought a lp standard an I just replaced the nut with a bone one. The overall install was bad as well as the slots were cut too low. Lots of buzzing. Just a real sloppy job. I shouldn't have to make a new nut for a guitar I paid $2500 for. Has anyone else had this problem?....... thanks.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta agree....silly place to save a few shekels.
This is true....... it would seem that there is some sort of technology that can make these things on a consistent level as a drop in part...... take all the hand shaping out of it. Spend the money on developing the tech since they can't seem to spend it on training personnel.

moreles

Reaction score
it would seem that there is some sort of technology that can make these things on a consistent level as a drop in part......
You can wish, but that's not likely with a nut, where the tolerances are close and dependent on many other factors which are variable. The other posts that describe nuts as easily made, "cheap" components are made in ignorance of what it takes to mage a really excellent nut for both the guitar and the player. The reasons most current production guitars have nuts that are mediocre at best is because the job is actually expensive, not cheap, because it requires skilled human labor. Most companies just ballpark the nut, make it of moldable crap like Tusq or Corian (pretending this is special stuff, when it's really just industrial), and slot it too high to avoid buzzing wherever it gets shipped. A pro nut can get you amazing action abnd feel, but unless you purchase a higher level of build than Gibson or Fender, you're never going to see that. Fenders are easier to fit with stock nuts because the whole guitar design is geared to mass machine production and the variance between guitars is less than with a LP and a set neck.

gball

Reaction score
You can wish, but that's not likely with a nut, where the tolerances are close and dependent on many other factors which are variable. The other posts that describe nuts as easily made, "cheap" components are made in ignorance of what it takes to mage a really excellent nut for both the guitar and the player. The reasons most current production guitars have nuts that are mediocre at best is because the job is actually expensive, not cheap, because it requires skilled human labor. Most companies just ballpark the nut, make it of moldable crap like Tusq or Corian (pretending this is special stuff, when it's really just industrial), and slot it too high to avoid buzzing wherever it gets shipped. A pro nut can get you amazing action abnd feel, but unless you purchase a higher level of build than Gibson or Fender, you're never going to see that. Fenders are easier to fit with stock nuts because the whole guitar design is geared to mass machine production and the variance between guitars is less than with a LP and a set neck.
Agree completely. I actually think they do an outstanding job considering the limitations of mass-producing the type of guitars they build, with set necks, nitro finishes and substantial hand work, etc. at the price-point they sell them at, which for Gibson USA I consider to be a bargain personally.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree..... a machine is leveling the frets..... variables are minimal.

The Floyd Rose locking nut is mechanical and functions perfectly.

You don’t have hand cut gears in a Rolex watch.

Precision machinery can be designed to cut a piece of plastic, bone, or whatever is required for a simple nut.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2019 Standard came with a Tusqu/Graphtech nut and it works perfectly fine.
I've seen nuts cut better, but this is far from the worst.
My 2019 Flying V has one of the best nuts I've seen.

tonyclark1

Reaction score
Yep....you ain't lying. Maybe it would have been better if Gibson stuck with the adjustable nut. I remember this feature years ago and for some reason they changed it but I never knew why?? Seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe too many people were complaining and wanted them to change it back. I'm just glad I know how to make them so when I get a guitar that is messed up I can fix it. Making a guitar nut from a bone blank is a very time consuming task. I have made many for myself and other customers who bring me their gear to work on.

Imperial

Reaction score
In my experience, they're not that bad. The only Gibson I have that required work on the nut was the 2017 Classic. Its G-string slot was too low, and the nut had to be rised higher. That then required cutting the other slots a bit lower. The luthier who did the job mentioned how tough a nylon nut is to cut.

Latest Threads