Guitar neck rest - DIY ideas?

Skeletor

Reaction score
So, I'm stuck at home killing time and figured my SG could use a bit of fret work (knock down the sharp fret ends)... so I can probably justify a neck rest (cradle?) But Amazon looks to be preparing for a bit of a shutdown as nothing is expected to deliver until the end of April.

So I guess it is DIY time.
Before I go hack up a chunk of 4x4 - anyone got any creative ideas or suggestions for a DIY neck rest?
I figure if I am going to carve up a chunk of wood - might as well do it right :)

So - let's see some pictures of your favorite neck rests...

Barnaby

Reaction score
My neck rest sits in my bench vise...but...it is a piece that I clamp and it sticks out to the side. That way, no part of the guitar is above the hard metal vise.

pbekkerh

Reaction score
You could make a cube with 6 different depths of the hollow, so you have a support usable from a soprano ukulele to an acoustic baryton guitar ;-)

Last edited:

Skeletor

Reaction score
You could make a cube with 6 different depth of the hollow, so you have a support usable from a soprano ukulele to an acoustic baryton guitar ;-)
That style is what caught my eye on Amazon, maybe I'll go that route

Ripthorn

Reaction score
I used the table saw to cut the coves for some neck rests. I made a short, long, and rocking variation and used cork for padding/ protection.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So, I'm stuck at home killing time and figured my SG could use a bit of fret work (knock down the sharp fret ends)... so I can probably justify a neck rest (cradle?) But Amazon looks to be preparing for a bit of a shutdown as nothing is expected to deliver until the end of April.

Before I go hack up a chunk of 4x4 - anyone got any creative ideas or suggestions for a DIY neck rest?
I figure if I am going to carve up a chunk of wood - might as well do it right :)

Built this 35 years ago.

P1080102.jpg

Solid oak. Before I cut the trapezoid shaped sides I ran it over a tablesaw blade at an angle....that's how I got the concave neck rest.

Lined the neck rest with cork. Installed some velcro so I can stick a tuner etc. on the side. But I also gave the footprint a bit of an angle...may 2 or 3 degrees? So when an electric guitar is on the bench the cradle supports the neck just right:

P1080101.jpg

But for an acoustic guitar, I spin the cradle 180deg. and the reverse angle is usually just right for that!

P1080103.jpg

It's massive. It's solid (use it for fret work all the time....pressing in frets or even hammering etc). Stays put. You just really don't want to drop it on your toe!

sd396

Reaction score
neck support.jpg

I like the rocker style. Made these up when I was getting ready to do fret work on my first builds,

Subterfuge

Reaction score

I just order it from StewMac, they use FedEx which is booming right now and it's a day and a half max for delivery

Latest Threads