Guitar dealers!

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
This is being touted as a 1982 Les Paul, when anyone who has even a rudimentary knowledge of reissues would know it is a 1983:
1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard '59 Reissue - one of the first "pre-historics" | eBay

I sent him this:

"It is the 311th reissue made in 1983. The Shaws are dated March 1983. The pot dates precede the guitar date by as much as 6 months. This is a 1983 Les Paul, the FIRST year for the official "Les Paul Flametop Reissue." "

What they have is a left over body from 1982 that was to be a dealer reissue that was held over for the regular reissue program. I have noticed quite a few of these Kalamazoo made dealer ordered Les Pauls with the YDDDYxxx SN in the control cavity that ended up as a normal reissue. As the Kalamazoo plant geared down to be closed, I am sure they used up as many parts as they could.

It seemingly has large tortoise side markers, making it a Kalamazoo completed Les Paul.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
really looks like a clownburst to me.. But the figure of the maple is nice

a clown burst is when there is no blending from the outer cherry color to the middle of the top and on a clown burst the cherry color looks like a solid band, cherry bursts are hard to photograph as they usually end looking more clownish in photos than they do in real life.

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
regardless of the year of make it is a beauty.

never seen those type of tuners before

shesrealfine

Reaction score
Nice top whatever it is or isn't but did I read it right-10 pounds 4 ounces?

I mean I have a 9 + pounder or two, but wow that's getting up there!

FUS44

Reaction score
Great top. The weight would scare me off, well that and the price.....

Mad Scientist

Reaction score
Nice top whatever it is or isn't but did I read it right-10 pounds 4 ounces?

I mean I have a 9 + pounder or two, but wow that's getting up there!
Phil X claims the optimum weight of a Les Paul is 9.5 to 10.5 lbs, is that about right?

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
This is a clown

epiphone%20les%20paul%20standard.jpg

or there's THIS

:cool:

duck2k

Reaction score
regardless of the year of make it is a beauty.

never seen those type of tuners before

Hi Mike, those are the "double button" tuners. My R0 came factory with those:

MF1.jpg

lp59burst

Reaction score
Maybe not a "Clown" but a bit too red for me... and 10+ pounds is a bit heavy for me now too. Many years ago a friend had what I think was a '76 or '77 LP Custom that weighed 12+ pounds on his Mom's bathroom scale. Not exactly a super accurate measurement but I guessing his Mom calibrated the tare on the lighter side :)

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maybe not a "Clown" but a bit too red for me... and 10+ pounds is a bit heavy for me now too. Many years ago a friend had what I think was a '76 or '77 LP Custom that weighed 12+ pounds on his Mom's bathroom scale. Not exactly a super accurate measurement but I guessing his Mom calibrated the tare on the lighter side :)

that is how the original bursts looked when they were new

jamman

Reaction score
What ? you mean , you can't have a 1982 made with 1983 pickups ? it's a Gibson, Anything is possible .:lol:

Paging Mr. Bozo ,,,, Your guitar as been found . Please come to the main desk . :laugh2:

OK , it's not as Yellow in the middle as it should be , but Gibson was ramping up to make the RI's at the time . :hmm:

Latest Threads