Guitar Center Shipping Disaster

darkvoice

Reaction score
Additionally, the directly labeled guitar arrived at its final destination no worse for wear with both the case and the guitar seemingly in the same condition as how it initially left the store.
I respectfully disagree. What you are saying is along the lines - let's ship a glass jar of pickles without any packaging, let the shipping company deal with it, they will be careful because they will see it's glass. In the end we will say it's ok to do so as long as it arrives in not broken condition.

Roddyvh

Reaction score
I have been shipping guitars for over 45 years and can honestly say that I have seen it all. I would share the photos with anyone at Guitar Center that will listen, and have them either replace the case or compensate you for the damage. It has been my experience that a replacement is better because a case can be structurally damaged without any outward signs of the issues. You don't want to drop it years later only to find that damage has been hidden. It's worth your time and effort if you value the guitar and want to preserve it. Even if you need to negotiate a price difference between new vs used , it is worth it in the long term. Lastly, if you value your instrument , get a replacement.
The NEW chainsaw case , (branded Gibson or SKB), is a damn fine replacement with a decent warranty included with your purchase.

diesel99

Reaction score
This Gibson arrived yesterday from a Guitar Center store. Someone just slapped shipping label on the case. Case is not even locked.

Needless to say I was speechless when UPS guy gave me this. It was shipped by the largest guitar store in the world, not some amateur who sold only one guitar in his life and does not know how to properly pack a guitar. Each Guitar Center store ships hundreds if not thousands of guitars - you'd hope an employee knows how to safely pack a guitar.

Luckily the guitar survived, but the case suffered some unnecessary damage.

Apology for the rant. I am lost. I heard about something similar happening to other folks, but this is the first for me. I honestly don't know what to say...

View attachment 609564
For a hot minute a couple years ago, I worked in a UPS distribution center loading trucks. A Fender amp came down the conveyor belt in a box, no kind of padding at all. Wonder if it survived intact to destination.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. What you are saying is along the lines - let's ship a glass jar of pickles without any packaging, let the shipping company deal with it, they will be careful because they will see it's glass. In the end we will say it's ok to do so as long as it arrives in not broken condition.
Dude, cool the jets. I never said any such thing. I thought it was interesting that the guitar showed pretty much fine. It was YOU that said in an earlier posts "the case did its job.... kept that awesome alpine white studio from damage. That case is blessed". Extrapolating to any inference from me that this is how guitars should be normally shipped is a monumentally stupid inference.

Coachmoe

Reaction score
This Gibson arrived yesterday from a Guitar Center store. Someone just slapped shipping label on the case. Case is not even locked.

Needless to say I was speechless when UPS guy gave me this. It was shipped by the largest guitar store in the world, not some amateur who sold only one guitar in his life and does not know how to properly pack a guitar. Each Guitar Center store ships hundreds if not thousands of guitars - you'd hope an employee knows how to safely pack a guitar.

Apology for the rant. I am lost. I heard about something similar happening to other folks, but this is the first for me. I honestly don't know what to say...

View attachment 609564
For many years GC has routinely thrown away the boxes their items come shipped in. With the pics that you have, I would think that you should get some kind of compensation. It has always amazed me that many GC employees are clueless about the products they sell. So many times many of us know more about their products than the sales person. Just sad.

D_Rowell

Reaction score

View attachment 609564
I would definitely pursue getting a new case from them. They have a 30 day return policy, so you can say what happened and that you will return it unless they credit you the price of a case or give you a new one. Anyone you talk to should recognize they screwed up. Persist until you get someone who gives a shit. I had an experience with GC where a person who worked in customer support for online sales was willing to make up for store employees mistakes by giving me a discount on my order of a Fender amp.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I received a Spector Legend bass shipped the same way, only he at least duct taped the lid of the case shut. In my case (pun intended) it was only coming a couple of hundred miles, but I was more than a bit surprised that he shipped it that way. Thankfully the guitar was fine, but I gave the case away as it was covered in bumper stickers, and once I got those off no amount of Goo Gone or WD40 could get the glue off. The bass after it's terrifying ride in a few UPS trucks:

Spector_1.jpg

Reactions: Who

Mr French

Reaction score
Have you called the company about the situation? For something like this, they should give you your money back. I wouldn't bother with a local store as they don't have anything to do with it.

JMP

Reaction score
hearing another story about GC is one of the reasons I don't buy from them-not even a pick. they just don't seem to care. a friend is a manager at one of the stores & he understands.
I walked into a GC 3 years ago to buy 2 packs of Ernie Ball strings (it was a moment of weakness for me due to general convenience). The 20-something at the register looks at the strings and asked for my e-mail address. I said “no thank you” and tried to hand him a $20 bill. He insisted that he couldn’t ring me out without an email address! That just pissed me off. I turned around and left without strings. It’s not worth saving a buck and having to deal with an organization like GC.

Reactions: Who

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, cool the jets. I never said any such thing. I thought it was interesting that the guitar showed pretty much fine. It was YOU that said in an earlier posts "the case did its job.... kept that awesome alpine white studio from damage. That case is blessed". Extrapolating to any inference from me that this is how guitars should be normally shipped is a monumentally stupid inference.
Actually it was me that made those comments in post #35 amigo,.... not @darkvoice ..... he was referencing a comment to a reply you made to my post #66..... I apologize for any misdirection and thought i should clear that up.:cheers:

darkvoice

Reaction score
I would definitely pursue getting a new case from them. They have a 30 day return policy, so you can say what happened and that you will return it unless they credit you the price of a case or give you a new one. Anyone you talk to should recognize they screwed up. Persist until you get someone who gives a shit. I had an experience with GC where a person who worked in customer support for online sales was willing to make up for store employees mistakes by giving me a discount on my order of a Fender amp.
Good point, problem is they don't have new cases in stock. I have a Gibson case on backorder with GC since October.

darkvoice

Reaction score
Continuation of the saga: I called the store and asked for the manager, explained the situation and emailed photos. Once he saw the photos he shifted the blame to UPS (just like some of you predicted), saying that they would never ship a guitar without a box. Manager insisted that judging by the piece of cardboard under the label the box got damaged and UPS cut out the label and taped it to the case.

He refunded shipping cost ($23) and offered free inspection of the guitar if I bring it to a GC store. He said that's the most he could do because on the used instruments only the guitar is sold and case basically is a free bonus.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
"Disaster" averted. Case - 1 Shipping Box - 0

Reaction score
Another reason I would never buy ANYTHING from Guitar Center. I had a bad experience with them 20 years ago and have not stepped foot in one or bought anything from them online. this is completely unacceptable. I would be posting this on every site around and ask for a full refund from these lazy and inept shysters!

Mr French

Reaction score
Continuation of the saga: I called the store and asked for the manager, explained the situation and emailed photos. Once he saw the photos he shifted the blame to UPS (just like some of you predicted), saying that they would never ship a guitar without a box. Manager insisted that judging by the piece of cardboard under the label the box got damaged and UPS cut out the label and taped it to the case.

He refunded shipping cost ($23) and offered free inspection of the guitar if I bring it to a GC store. He said that's the most he could do because on the used instruments only the guitar is sold and case basically is a free bonus.
A guitar case is a free bonus?

Latest Threads