Guitar Center (one more time)

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
Dropped by local GC last night to waste some time before I picked up the wifey at the airport. It looked different inside the store. After walking around for a few minutes, I realized that the inventory was way smaller than I was accustomed to seeing. None of the usual managers or sales guys were there, just a bunch of younger employees whom I'd not seen before.

It is obvious that this store is about to shut down.

Anyone else notice a similar situation at your local store?

User100

Reaction score
The Tacoma,WA GC just went thru a downsizing, but most of the staff seems intact.

The store seems upgraded , a little nicer and more comfortable now.

They have a good base staff, I like that store.

firesgt911

Reaction score
That's too bad. Is it the one off 635? I've always thought the road work would have a negative impact on that store. The one near me seems to be thriving. I base this on my consistent inability to get a parking spot despite the fact the surrounding businesses are closed.

arc anjil

Reaction score
I've noticed that there is less to see and try out.

Their amp "selection" is horrible, all Line 6 and Acoustic stuff. And if there is a Marshall there it's either an MG or used.

One more: For a place named "Guitar Center", there sure is precious little space devoted to guitars. Too much other musical/band stuff (not that there shouldn't be any...).

--------------------

As to employees: the local (Ocala) store has had a huge turnover, even the original manager is gone. The only person I recognize is the guitar tech. I was emailing back and forth with the current manager on how they don't carry my string of choice (I didn't make a big deal about it, just sent the GC corporate an email on it) and he abruptly stopped responding to my emails. I wonder if he is now gone, too?

dave294

Reaction score
My local one downsized but it actually looks a bit nicer. Staff seemed to remain the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they go out of business though; I've read a lot of articles about how GC is pretty doomed, and it seems to make sense.
Honestly it's a mystery to me how big guitar stores stay in business. Usually its a ghost town but theres always like 15-20 employees. I guess i might be wrong but it doesn't look like a lot of the people who go there buy expensive guitars.

Do you guys think if they go out of business they'll have huge blowout sales?
i think i'll start saving up.

arc anjil

Reaction score
Not sure about that, Dave. I think I remember reading that when Mars Music City folded, everything was sold at bulk at auction.

I'd rather see GC reorganize and move most of their non guitar stuff to online. Maybe expand their studio stuff, too.

Nicky

Reaction score
That's too bad. Is it the one off 635? I've always thought the road work would have a negative impact on that store. The one near me seems to be thriving. I base this on my consistent inability to get a parking spot despite the fact the surrounding businesses are closed.
No, it's the one in Lewisville. The North Dallas, Plano and Central Expressway stores seem to be doing OK. I have a feeling they are going to shutter the under-performing locations.

This trend portends a bleak outcome for the chain. Despite the negatives of the big box store, I still like being able to play gear and quickly pick up strings, cables, pedals, and even a new guitar once in a while. Without the big chain, some will have to scramble to find a local independent store, if any, or do everything by internet.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dropped by local GC last night to waste some time before I picked up the wifey at the airport. It looked different inside the store. After walking around for a few minutes, I realized that the inventory was way smaller than I was accustomed to seeing. None of the usual managers or sales guys were there, just a bunch of younger employees whom I'd not seen before.

Exact same situation at the one by me.

I stopped in there two weeks ago to kill time, and the place was gutted inventory-wise.

Nicky

Reaction score
Exact same situation at the one by me.

I stopped in there two weeks ago to kill time, and the place was gutted inventory-wise.
I'm a sound room/recording geek. Last night, I noticed that they only had 2 or 3 higher-end mixers in stock. Everything else was cheap Alesis and Behringer stuff. In the past, they stocked mixers from $100 to $10,000. Very few nice amplifiers on the floor. The back wall used to be stocked four high up to the ceiling with Gibsons and Fenders, plus a bunch of PRS models. Now it's just two rows. Don't need a ladder anymore.

LarryInTexas

Reaction score

Yes, same here.

michaelinokc

Reaction score
The OKC store goes through cycles of lots of inventory and very little inventory. I haven't seen any major changes there.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine got better. More used (which I like) and they just started pushing Orange stuff (wasn't there before.) They are also getting good Fender tube stuff now. They have a varied guitar selection, but satisfactory.
It was all Marshall MG crap and Acoustic and low end Fender practice amps. It's a lot better now.
Never cared for the staff, so that doesn't matter to me as I know more than most of them because of MLP. I already know what I want and what I'm willing to pay before I go :)

Mine is the south Dayton (Centerville) Ohio one.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
GC in Oxford Valley (near Philly) has reduced their inventory BIG TIME over the last two weeks.

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
I've got 4 GC's within an hour of me. There is no way they're all gonna make it.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My local GC, in (Oxford Valley) Langhorne, PA just turned into a wasteland, as reported above!

I took my grandson there last weekend to play some guitars and the "wall" was bleak. It was VERY bleak. A lot of empty space and the guitars were spaced out, making it look even more barren.

Fenders were largely MIM's and below. There were a lot of Epiphones, but very few Gibsons. The usual assortment of shit-brand guitars was even smaller.

It looks like they removed some of the stock shelves in the middle of the floor. There used to be 4-5 rows of shelves with combo amps. Now, there's only 2 rows.

The "Pro Audio" room was pretty well stocked, as was the keyboard and acoustic guitar rooms.

I asked my contact what was going on and he told me that change is a corporate move. They're not keeping a lot of in-store inventory. He said that eventually all the other rooms will be culled down, too.

They're trying to get people to showroom, then order online.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

They're trying to get people to showroom, then order online.
If I'm ordering online it sure as sh*t isn't going to be from a bottom of the barrel place like Guitar Center. :laugh2:

many other online retailers get much nicer guitars.

..sometimes I think GC gets the leftovers.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Flobboty-flee!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbU4Cb4A4-o]That's The Way It Was And We Liked It - YouTube[/ame]

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your last 15 posts suuuuuuuuucccckkkk ya old bastard.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well they could be getting new stuff coming in, so they had to clear out some of older stock they had.

Could be a lot of things.

Latest Threads