Guitar cables, straight or angled jack??

Bogmonster

Reaction score
For those of you who play multiple guitars during a gig, do you use a straight or angled jack on your cables?

One of my buddies was actually asking me this recently and it got me thinking a bit more about it. I know angled jacks are nice and tidy with a LP and sometimes going into a pedalboard. But then with a Strat, this can get in the way.

What's the general consensus on this? Do you just use straight jacks on everything to make life easier? What do you use if switching between a LP, Strat or even a 335 during a gig? They all have the input in different locations.

Same for going into a pedalboard. What's your preference?

I haven't really given too much thought into this before. Cheers for any input!

kenmarkat

Reaction score
I typically use a Taylor acoustic and then either an LP, a Strat or a Carvin for an electric guitar during gigs. Except for the Strat I find the angled plugs are better - out of the way and less likely to come out. I prefer straight cables for the Strat and all other connections including the two keyboards I switch off to, as well as with any pedals and the board so that adjacent plugs don't swing around and touch. I also have a 330 but don't gig with it, but I'd likely use an angled cord on it if possible just to keep the stress on the jack as low as I can. In the studio when I'm not moving around it really doesn't seem to matter as much. If you wrap your cord around your strap as many do that helps relieve stress with a straight connection, but an angled one works great either way.

I also have an ABC box if I want more guitars in a gig (depending on the set list) so that I don't have to do any plugging/unplugging during a gig. Up to three electric guitars to ABC box, then to pedal then to board - works great since I just select the guitar I want to use on the ABC box, can use the same effects pedal for all of them and don't have to worry about muting etc to swap cords. Appropriate jack on one end based on the guitar, straight everywhere else. I'm not one to like swapping a lot but with that setup and a three guitar stand that gives me as many options as I'll ever need if not more. Hope that helps!

Bogmonster

Reaction score
I typically use a Taylor acoustic and then either an LP, a Strat or a Carvin for an electric guitar during gigs. Except for the Strat I find the angled plugs are better - out of the way and less likely to come out. I prefer straight cables for the Strat and all other connections including the two keyboards I switch off to, as well as with any pedals and the board so that adjacent plugs don't swing around and touch. I also have a 330 but don't gig with it, but I'd likely use an angled cord on it if possible just to keep the stress on the jack as low as I can. In the studio when I'm not moving around it really doesn't seem to matter as much. If you wrap your cord around your strap as many do that helps relieve stress with a straight connection, but an angled one works great either way.

I also have an ABC box if I want more guitars in a gig (depending on the set list) so that I don't have to do any plugging/unplugging during a gig. Up to three electric guitars to ABC box, then to pedal then to board - works great since I just select the guitar I want to use on the ABC box, can use the same effects pedal for all of them and don't have to worry about muting etc to swap cords. Appropriate jack on one end based on the guitar, straight everywhere else. I'm not one to like swapping a lot but with that setup and a three guitar stand that gives me as many options as I'll ever need if not more. Hope that helps!
Yes that all makes sense alright. I've always looped the cable through the strap anyways to keep it out of the way anyways and I've gigged with both straight and angled jacks. I think both have their pros and cons.

Thanks for your input!

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
For the most part, straight, although when I was playing out (a looooooooooooooooooooong time ago), I had cables that had a straight end and an angled end, which went into my pedal, with the straight end going to the amp. Don't know if they still make those or not?

Grenville

Reaction score
I know angled jacks are nice and tidy with a LP and sometimes going into a pedalboard. But then with a Strat, this can get in the way.
Not really true. I use angled with my LP and my Strat, it's not in the way at all with my Strat. Yes, I do use the vibrato on the Strat too; as I say, the angled plug is not in the way.

Bogmonster

Reaction score
Not really true. I use angled with my LP and my Strat, it's not in the way at all with my Strat. Yes, I do use the vibrato on the Strat too; as I say, the angled plug is not in the way.
I'm currently using an angled jack with all my guitars including the Strat. I think I've just gotten used to it myself. My cables are getting old and worn so I'm thinking about upgrading anyways and I was just thinking about the jacks.

I was also thinking if the cable got pulled out accidentally (I do loop it through the strap), a straight jack would just pull out whereas an angled jack could do some damage.

tzd

Reaction score
Most of my cables are straight on one end and angled on the other so I can use them for most situations.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Straight at the pedal board, angled at the guitar - but all my guitars like angled jacks, through the strap and down (LP, Jet, 6120).

paddybrown

Reaction score
Angled into the guitar. Straight jacks put too much sideways stress on the jack plate. I broke a plastic jack plate before I figured that out.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep. Even the Switchcraft pancake right angle plugs are just fine with a Strat. Perhaps even more tidy, if you route the cable through your strap.

The only time some angled plugs don't work for me is on early Teles with the deep cup.

moreles

Reaction score
I use both, with the "proper" cord for the specific guitar jack. Having a straight plug going into an SG is just looking for damage. Since I manage my own stuff, I simply have two cords on stage -- one straight, one angled (at the "guitar end"). Yes, this means I need to change the cord at the amp, too. I can usually affoard the 2 seconds that takes.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Angled actually work well with Strats as well... if you loop your cable under the strap, the angled jack puts it in a better position.

Bogmonster

Reaction score
Angled actually work well with Strats as well... if you loop your cable under the strap, the angled jack puts it in a better position.
I always loop the chord through the strap anyways. I just found the angled jack can get in the way a bit with the trem on a Strat (moving the bar back and out of the way) more so than a straight jack. I suppose it's just preference.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I always loop the chord through the strap anyways. I just found the angled jack can get in the way a bit with the trem on a Strat (moving the bar back and out of the way) more so than a straight jack. I suppose it's just preference.
Ahh... Mine doesn't get in the way since the bar stays in the case ;)

Latest Threads