Guitar cabinet, help a newbie

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
So got my prs mt 15 head, now im on the search for a nice cabinet.

Heres what id like. A 2x12 vertical cab. I like the vertical look more than the horizontal *shrugs* haha
Something that takes different heads well (at some point i wanna get a vox ac head, maybe a marshal dsl head)
I need a 8 ohm cab
Id prefer a closed back cab.
And i dont wanna need to buy another cab in the future.
Im completely fine with buying used.

My budget is 800$ if i dont need that much though thatd be awesome haha.

Help me out guys, ive never went with tube heads before so any knowledge or tips you can give are also appreciated, i was just gonna pick up a cab when i went to pick up the amp head but..... the place i bought it from is closed because of the virus and it was hell getting it shipped to me haha

So, come on you glorious bastards give me your knowledge oOo!

fry

Reaction score
I think you’ll find a ton of excellent choices for $800 or less. Can’t go wrong with a real deal Marshall UK cab. I hear great things about the Orange cabs. I had the 2X12 EVH cab, it was really excellent. You could even go in the direction of boutique stuff. Dr. Z cabinets are supposed to be fantastic. I am no help whatsoever, but if I had $800, I’d be on a shopping spree.

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
I think you’ll find a ton of excellent choices for $800 or less. Can’t go wrong with a real deal Marshall UK cab. I hear great things about the Orange cabs. I had the 2X12 EVH cab, it was really excellent. You could even go in the direction of boutique stuff. Dr. Z cabinets are supposed to be fantastic. I am no help whatsoever, but if I had $800, I’d be on a shopping spree.
Oh trust me, ive been going on a rather extensive spree lately haha i got my work bonus and i put half in the bank and half for fun.

Is there a particular marshall cab model that comes to your mind?

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Mesa makes a vertical 212 for $879 and it’s brand new.. they come with Celestion vintage 30s. So that’s a thought. It’s closed back and includes casters.

Last edited:

fry

Reaction score
I think the JVM line is the good stuff. Made in the UK of quality materials. Those cheaper ones are made in Asia, and not made of real plywood. As for used Marshall stuff, I am just not at all familiar with it. I don’t think there have been tons of 212 cabs from Marshall over the years. I think their high end stuff will hang with anything out there.

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
8 Ohm is not used by every amp manufacturer. Some older Marshalls only output 16 Ohm and can't use an 8 Ohm speaker. 16 Ohm is more universal, as you can generally plug 4-8 Ohm amps into 16 Ohm.

Some newer Marshalls have 8 Ohm taps, but my DSL1HR does not.

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
8 Ohm is not used by every amp manufacturer. Some older Marshalls only output 16 Ohm and can't use an 8 Ohm speaker. 16 Ohm is more universal, as you can generally plug 4-8 Ohm amps into 16 Ohm.

Some newer Marshalls have 8 Ohm taps, but my DSL1HR does not.
Huh.... i thought a 8 ohm head had to go with a 8ohm cab or it would get damaged?
Guess it would be better to go with a 16 ohm cab then

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh.... i thought a 8 ohm head had to go with a 8ohm cab or it would get damaged?
I've remembered this wee poem from long ago in a guitar magazine:

Low into high will fly
High into low wont go

:D

You could build a 2x12 cab with 8 Ohm speakers and a switch (or two inputs.) 1 speaker is 8 Ohm, 2 in series is 16.
OR
2 16 Ohm speakers and a switch. 1 speaker is 16, 2 speakers in parallel is 8.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score

Thundermtn

Reaction score
The Mesa cab will sound great and is the proper ohms, and their removable wheel system is my favorite. There are safe mismatch charts available if you look at other stuff too. I have an Orange PPC 212 and love it but has no wheels and is 16. I'd love it more if it was the Mesa.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Reaction score
Mojotone makes a ton of different cabinets. Maybe something like this?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score

And if you weren't busy enough with the ohms stuff,
consider that different speakers sound differently and may or may not match your musical style.
And to top this off, the Mesa cabs had different Vintage 70 speakers as the Marshall's did.
Or so they said. Reinforced cones to sustain the Triple Rectifier savagery!
Some Marshall cabs have Greenbacks (25W), Vintage 30's, Vintage 70's and G12-75 speakers.

I would advise you to try to hear them all.
Or match what the matching cab of the PRS MT15 suggests if that is that specific tone you're after.

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
And if you weren't busy enough with the ohms stuff,
consider that different speakers sound differently and may or may not match your musical style.
And to top this off, the Mesa cabs had different Vintage 70 speakers as the Marshall's did.
Or so they said. Reinforced cones to sustain the Triple Rectifier savagery!
Some Marshall cabs have Greenbacks (25W), Vintage 30's, Vintage 70's and G12-75 speakers.

I would advise you to try to hear them all.
Or match what the matching cab of the PRS MT15 suggests if that is that specific tone you're after.
Well...... zakk wylde is my idol....... his cabs sound good :v xD

redking

Reaction score
+1 on Sourmash or Mojotone. Try and find out what speakers the amp was voiced for and maybe go with 1 of that speaker and one that is a bit different for a big full sound - like maybe one Vintage 30 and one Greenback or something.

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
+1 on Sourmash or Mojotone. Try and find out what speakers the amp was voiced for and maybe go with 1 of that speaker and one that is a bit different for a big full sound - like maybe one Vintage 30 and one Greenback or something.
The 1x12 signature cab for this amp head has a vintage 30 in it. So im guessing its voiced for that. Shame they dont offer a 2x12 version of cab xD

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Palmer make good, inexpensive cabs that would fit what you need.

I just picked up a new 1x12 Palmer OB loaded with a G12M Greenback 8 Ohm for +/- USD 180 (granted, open back, but they offer closed as well, and a lot of different choices in speaker): https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/guitar-cabinets/guitar-cabinets-1-x-12/

I also have their 2x12 closed cab with a VC30 and Greenback 8/16Ohm, and man can it move some air. I think I paid +/- USD 385 : https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/p...r-cabinets-2-x-12/5081/cab-212-v30-gbk?c=2171

Or, if you are really on a budget, there is this in 1x12: https://www.thomann.de/intl/1x12_guitar_cabinets.html?price-first=0&filter=true&manufacturer[]=Palmer&manufacturer[]=Harley Benton

Or this in 2x12: https://www.thomann.de/intl/2x12_gu...acturer[]=Palmer&manufacturer[]=Harley Benton

Last edited:

Latest Threads