Guitar "Bonding" is Real

decoy205

Reaction score
I think it’s real. That’s why players have a “number 1” usually. I found out I connect with Les Pauls more than strat types in most cases. I have played a few Les Pauls that didn’t have it for me. I got lucky with the 3 I own. They have “it” for me.

Pancreas

Reaction score
Guitar bonding is absolutely real, at least for some players. It is completely subjective however so you'll get a wide range of responses. I've moved through a lot of guitars in the past few years to find what I want and now I know, sounds like you may also.
I completely agree!

Dilver

Reaction score
Sometimes all it takes is a slight bridge height adjustment (nice that you can do it on the fly with most Gibsons) or maybe a tweak of the truss rod (again, pretty easy on a Gibson, usually).

I rotate through my guitars almost daily. They all feel different and I am always fine tuning. A good winter setup can go to $h!t pretty easily in the summer and vice versa. Some are more sensitive than others, too, requiring more frequent tweaks.

Point being, I think almost any guitar can be adjusted to being in the zone and bonded with. JMHO.
Agreed. Unless you’re used to setting up your own guitars, the whole “bonding” thing becomes a little sketchy. The guitar was set up by someone else to play how they thought it felt best. If I like my action higher and stiffer, set up a guitar that way, and then hand it to someone who likes it low and loose, they’re not going to bond with it.

Some guitars just need small adjustments to play their best. Others require tweaking of a number of things - nut slots, bridge and tail piece height, truss rod, fret leveling. Sometimes, it’s what the GUITAR likes, meaning some guitars sound better set up a certain way.

I’m glad you (OP) found what you wanted in the Epi Les Paul. Wouldn’t be my first choice, but sometimes you just get lucky.

Peter M

Reaction score
Excluding anything seriously defective, I can "bond" with any Gibson Les Paul once I set it up to my liking.

Latest Threads