Guatemalan rosewood on Les Paul Standard?

Garik

Reaction score
Watched a YouTube video reviewing a Heritage guitar that claims the rosewood that Gibson now uses is Guatemalan. And only the Custom Shop versions use Indian rosewood. Do you know anything about it?

ARandall

Reaction score
I don't know......but just a quick google image search shows something way more attractive (and braz-like) than Indian.

Harley90

Reaction score
Surprised it's not a Custom shop option only, I'm having an acoustic made with it. Brighter sound than Indian Rosewood, lighter weight than Ebony. Looks fantastic. It ain't cheap either. Can't wait to play one with that wood to see if there is a difference to hear or feel. I've played an acoustic with that as a fret board but didn't notice any difference other than the look. YMMV

Garik

Reaction score
Surprised it's not a Custom shop option only, I'm having an acoustic made with it. Brighter sound than Indian Rosewood, lighter weight than Ebony. Looks fantastic. It ain't cheap either. Can't wait to play one with that wood to see if there is a difference to hear or feel. I've played an acoustic with that as a fret board but didn't notice any difference other than the look. YMMV
The question is, is it really Guatemalan mahogany?

Harley90

Reaction score
Garik, Rosewood. The species of rosewoods that grows in Central and South America are available as guitar woods, may have other commercial names.... it is available, somewhat limited. Martin makes a custom version of an OM28 with that wood, a few out there now. A bit pricy but to play one is revealing, depth of sound of rosewood, noticeable treble difference, bell like mid and high.....no idea if it would impact the sound of Les Paul. I doubt it would but would like to play to see/hear, usually lighter in color. YMMV

Garik

Reaction score

@Harley90, If I understand correctly, the guy in the video claims that Guatemalan Rosewood is used on all Gibson Les Paul Standards as a replacement for Indian Rosewood. And he implies that Indian rosewood is blacker in color and more expensive.​

Harley90

Reaction score
I have not watched the video but IR is darker, IR is a managed resource - should be cheaper but with supply chain issues maybe not. Central American Rosewoods are not managed as far as I know and seldom used in guitar making for mass production, and as noted, it's lighter in color and is not as desirable as the darker woods for fret boards for many.
But lots of high end smaller builders are using it and it's gaining in popularity. If a lot of harvesting and no bulk buying it may be cheaper, likely a limited time kinda thing.
If it has no impact on sound for electrics then I personally prefer IR or Madagascar RW fret boards, or Ebony
In acoustic guitars there is a big enough difference that I am getting one, made to spec.( I am sticking with an ebony fret board on it) as the back and sides what I am getting it for- again after playing multiple wood combinations back to back. YMMV

shark

Reaction score
I still think you would much rather have some kind of mis -identified rosewood DNA of any brand to a roasted maple fretboard.

Garik

Reaction score
I wrote to Gibson support. They said they use Indian Rosewood.

budg

Reaction score
I wrote to Gibson support. They said they use Indian Rosewood.
That make sense. I’d rather have something like laurel than pau ferro though.

Latest Threads