Grovers?

jppr8

Reaction score
I have a few pairs of modern, non-USA Grovers and have never had any issues with them as far as tuning, the only difference between them is the screw holding the button on. :p

and the tone of course... :)

Kanga Blue

Reaction score
and the tone of course... :)

According to this expert there is f all differnce......
"Many people seem to think the older Grovers weigh less than the more-recent Grovers. Nope: "
and the 18:1 ratio would be a good thing.
Grover Rotomatic Tuner Variations

Beware there are fake CHinese Grovers on ebay apparently

GOLD GROVER ROTOMATIC GUITAR TUNING MACHINES PEGS 102G - eBay Guitar Parts, Parts Accessories, Guitar, Musical Instruments. (end time 09-Feb-10 14:01:23 AEDST)

Item number: 220550151507

If you check the guy's feeback...

Negative feedback rating Buyer beware. Grover tuners were fake. Buyer:
drichardson1222 ( 3 )
24-Oct-09 13:36
-- (#270460368883) --

edit:
the guy who left the fake -ve feedback emailed me back:
" They weren't gold, they were chrome with black knobs. But yeah, pretty sure. I contacted Grover and was told that they were more than likely fake (shipping from HK, in bulk rather than in Grover packaging, Grover doesn't make a tuner with black plastic knobs, etc.) They might have been o.k. tuners, don't know - sent them back and got a set of (real) Gotohs.

- drichardson1222"

weirdotis

Reaction score
Pass. They might be more accurate, but I don't like the feel of them.

Jonny333

Reaction score
Boston Guitar, that green custom is sick! Never seen a green one but I love it!

Poligow

Reaction score
Are they much better than the ones made in japan or wherever they are now made?

Here's a comparaison between an "old" Pat Pend set i put on my R8 and an newer set :

grovers.jpg

on my guitar :
r8d0.jpg

r8d2.jpg

alexmania

Reaction score
Not to rain on the Grover Love In, but....

my 2005 JPP CA has Grovers in it and they work absolutely flawlessly and great. That guitar supports all the accolades everyone has for Grovers and I'm a fan.

03Headsmall.jpg

My Wildwood Spec R0 came with Klusons, which I think is the phrygian word for shit. They stuck, were stiff, had a lower gear ratio and were overall nasty other than looking cool. I wasn't quite ready to change the look of the guitar, so I put Tone Pros on the guitar. Direct replacements with a respectable 16:1 ratio and a $55 experiment (not bad).

07Facesmall.jpg

I am here to tell you that while I do agree that Grovers are fantastic tuners and I might one day put Grovers on my R0, I would be esthetic only because it's a solution looking for a non existent problem. The Tone Pros are as just as smooth, tune perfectly and easily using both of my strobe tuners, and the guitar has all that Jimmy Page quack and Chirp I want If I play it 'that way'.

I must say I love this forum because we can geek out to the most extreme lengths about the smallest of details...I am now worried thought because you've given me one more thing to worry about and watch out for...

ChineseGrover.jpg

DADGAD

Reaction score
Hey Alex,
I just dropped in a set of 70's gold USA grovers to finally make my Page accurate to my liking and they are just as good if not better than the stock Page Grovers. They drop right in and I even use the same screw the Page Grovers come with. The hole lines up perfectly. The Page tuners are buttery smooth but when you compare them to a vintage set you won't want to put them back on. You need to get a set. You know you want too......

photo-111.jpg
[/IMG]

DADGAD

Reaction score
Grover production went overseas in the early 80's, around 83? They switched to metric too. I have no experience with the early Asian grovers but all the old ones I have had pre '83 have been good. Especially if the grease is been redone.

alexmania

Reaction score
Hey Austin,

The Grovers look SWEET!!!!! Where'd ya get 'em?

Latest Threads