Grovers vs Klusons

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
They can be changed back and forth as much as you like. Just buy the right size/type tuners and/or bushings.
Plugging and drilling holes isn't rocket surgery, either. Maybe not a best first woodworking project on your favorite guitar but perhaps a great first guitar-woodworking project on a not-so-prized instrument. It's about one level more involved than reaming the pot holes on an import for CTS pots.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
theyre not all snot green. the yellows look great! and they’re significantly lighter than Grover’s. I tried Grover’s for a while but preferred the lighter weight Klusons...

4l15zr.jpg

I figured my opinion would be the odd one out, but that's what made it worth sharing :)

I totally get why some folks prefer the Klusons, I'm just not one of them. On my Custom they would redefine ugly :)

A4effort13

Reaction score
The difference in tuners between these two guitars should be a non-factor in your decision. Both are more than adequate for the job and (imo) tuners are the lesser aesthetically significant part of hardware. I would notice the difference between a Nashville or ABR before tuners because the bridge is in the proximity to where I would actually play a guitar.

Leave it stock and preserve resale value.
What should factor in is whatever the buyer sees as important. And I don't sell guitars so thats not the issue.
I want Klusons because that's what they originally came with. To me thats what I think of when I think of Gibson and it is as important as being non weight relieved.

sonar

Reaction score
What should factor in is whatever the buyer sees as important. And I don't sell guitars so thats not the issue.
I want Klusons because that's what they originally came with. To me thats what I think of when I think of Gibson and it is as important as being non weight relieved.

Nothing, especially a Gibson product, is going to be a perfect match. What a particular buyer wants is actually not important. You have two choices.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Grover Kidney bean all the way for Lester... Kluson vintage for Fender...

Fwiw

David Garner

Reaction score
Both of mine have Klusons and they work fine. Get the guitar you want, not the one with the tuners you want.

A4effort13

Reaction score
Nothing, especially a Gibson product, is going to be a perfect match. What a particular buyer wants is actually not important. You have two choices.
Dude what are you talking about? If the buyer's wants aren't important why are there options at all

drylandfish

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't like the look of the kidney bean buttons you could swap them with Hipshot pearloid tuner buttons. They are slightly more transparent than stock Klusons. I have them on both of my goldtops w/ locking Grovers. $10 on ebay.
IMG_2116.jpeg

Hogie34

Reaction score
Whole lotta butt hurt going on over some tuners, Holy crap!! OP, it’s your guitar. You sound like me, you don’t buy guitars to worry about resale value. Get the one you want, put the tuners you like on it. Simple.

There are Klusons that will fit the Grover holes, but you’ll pay a little extra for them. You’ll be happy in the end and that’s all that matters.

Last edited:

Breezin

Reaction score
OP , you can do what I did 30 + years ago on my 335.
Install the kluson style tuners and just use one screw. Its works just fine with one.
The existing hole will line up close enough to work.

That way if you ever want you can go back to the old tuners later, without having an ugly exta hole.

DSCN0031b.jpg

Also you can have your cake and eat it too ,Grover makes these.

Grover Vintage-135 series.

Grover_Vintage_135_Series_3and3_Tuners.jpg

Last edited:

Pete M

Reaction score
I would've thought they use the same drill jig for both models, so probably use the 10mm Klusons anyway. That means you can change them out pretty easily, and use conversion bushing if not. Just don't crack the headstock getting those top screw holes in (use a drill) and you're good.

Modern Klusons do a perfect job, even the junior/special modern 3 on a plate tuners I have no complaints about. There are pros and cons to Klusons vs Grovers but it really comes down to personal preference.

anorton

Reaction score
If I buy a guitar with grover tuners but swap them out to klusons will all the holes line up or not? I plan on purchasing one of the new les paul standards but my dilemma is that I like the bourbon burst on the 60s spec better than the cherry burst on the 50s but I realllly dont want grovers I just never cared for the look. If they swap out perfectly I'll just get the 60s and do that, if not I'll deal with the cherry burst. I'd rather have that than extra holes in the back of the headstock

I’m with you. I don’t like the look of Grovers on anything but a Custom style guitar.

Guitpicky

Reaction score

Whatever is on the (new) guitar you buy is what it originally came with. I get where you're coming from... just saying :)

I think you have discovered one of the "cons" I noticed about the new line up. Simplified and back to basics also means that currently you have to buy 3 guitars to get the color, neck profile, and features you'd like to see all in the same guitar.

Personally I look for a guitar that moves me on a deeper level because that is the hardest thing to find, the rest is just details. If I like the guitar as a whole I'll happily adapt to its parts :)

jc2000

Reaction score
I swapped grovers for tone pro klusons. I had to drill screw holes but the grover holes were covered up. Guitar looks like it came with Klusons.
:thumbs:

3-8-14 001 (2).JPG

3-8-14 005 (2).JPG

rogue3

Reaction score
If my Lesters came with Grovers,i would be happy with that. by and large great tuning machines.

redskull_00

Reaction score
Grover 135 series: Breezin knows best!!
This is the best route.

Attachments

• GROVER 135.png
    GROVER 135.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 11

Harleytech

Reaction score
The reason people switched to Grovers back in the day was because the Klusons were junk back then.
Today's Klusons are just as good as the Grovers - Both are made overseas.. I like the look of the Klusons myself...

Latest Threads