Grovers on a 59RI

questionman

Reaction score
Grovers it is

I’ve had a LP or 2 over the years, old and new, 80s and 90s. But never a Custom Shop so this is kinda a new world to me

Also yes, I do realize maybe there are “better” alternates to Grovers. Thanks for your opinions however in the case of asking a question regarding the potential value sway in a very expensive instrument I fail to see the relevance

Guess we’re going for a 3rd set...now for nickel or gold?

pjholland

Reaction score
Yes, nickel, no gold. I have aged Grovers on an R8 and love them. I didn't install them, they are original, custom order I guess. I was very surprised how easily they turn compared to the Klusons on my traditional.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. I’m in the it’s your guitar and you can do what you want camp.
I have and like Grovers, have a set now looking for a home. I have also changed out with Spertzal and Bing. My D41 came with Schallers. IMHO, the Schallers seem of a higher quality than the others I have experience with. Best of luck and be happy

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna probably do it as well. But I like the locking.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuck some kluson revolutions on the R0, I like the easy tune I get with them, less hunting up and down either side of the aimed for pitch, Doubly good now I have a strobe tuner app, things is I hate the look of those big round things that tighten the clamp, someone on here mentioned a few different brands in a previous thread I had a look at them all and I fancy me some fancy Japanese 21:1 ratio jobbies.

59lespaulmann

Reaction score
Alright...

First and foremost, 59RIs cost an arm and a leg. I got a 60th Anniversary one, its a beautiful guitar, makes its way into every playing session I have. But at the same time, it cost me a lot of money, close to a years savings beyond basic saving after expenses

I dont like the tuners. I dont like the look, I dont like the feel, they do hold tune really damn well though Ill say that. Like it lasted 2 weeks out of the case while I was working 14 hour days and when I picked it up last night I didnt even have to tune the thing

I want Grovers on it, I like the little bit of extra weight on the neck, I like the look and the metal feeling. As much as a player this guitar is for me, its also an investment, if I need a chunk of change this will most likely be sold. How much do you think I might hurt resale value putting Grovers on

Doing a sanity check here from those who have been around the block once or 7 times

And for fun, here she is, I'm a pickguard on guy but I took this when cleaning it up a little while ago. Ignore the GOT box set, yes I know the show was flipping amazing until the last couple seasons but gosh darn if that white walker attack on Winterfell doesnt get your heart racing in the first 20 minutes nothing will. First time I saw it I had to keep pausing the episode and walk around to calm down.....granted MIGHTVE had something to do with something I ate an hour or so before watching it....

You may want to look at hipshot locking tuners they come with a plate that mounts on the back of the headstock so you do not have to do any drilling through the headstock check them out a friend of mine put these tuners on his telecaster and I have to say I never felt a more smooth tuner and 43 years of playing I do think they come in nickel finish as well so they will age appropriately with the nice patina.

Peter Mac

Reaction score
Alright...

First and foremost, 59RIs cost an arm and a leg. I got a 60th Anniversary one, its a beautiful guitar, makes its way into every playing session I have. But at the same time, it cost me a lot of money, close to a years savings beyond basic saving after expenses

I dont like the tuners. I dont like the look, I dont like the feel, they do hold tune really damn well though Ill say that. Like it lasted 2 weeks out of the case while I was working 14 hour days and when I picked it up last night I didnt even have to tune the thing

I want Grovers on it, I like the little bit of extra weight on the neck, I like the look and the metal feeling. As much as a player this guitar is for me, its also an investment, if I need a chunk of change this will most likely be sold. How much do you think I might hurt resale value putting Grovers on

Doing a sanity check here from those who have been around the block once or 7 times

And for fun, here she is, I'm a pickguard on guy but I took this when cleaning it up a little while ago. Ignore the GOT box set, yes I know the show was flipping amazing until the last couple seasons but gosh darn if that white walker attack on Winterfell doesnt get your heart racing in the first 20 minutes nothing will. First time I saw it I had to keep pausing the episode and walk around to calm down.....granted MIGHTVE had something to do with something I ate an hour or so before watching it....

If you decide to put on Grovers, each peg hole will need to be widened to 10mm to accomodate them. If you decide later to go back to the Klusons ( for resale value, etc) the standard Kluson ferrules will not fit anymore. Kluson do make a 10mm Adapter Ferrule for 1/4" Post that you will need to buy and these will fit straight in and allow the use of the original Kluson peg.
Good luck with it all.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
Locking NICKEL Grovers. Not the ones with the thumb screw your have to turn, but the ones with the internal cam inside the post. I have them on every 3 x 3 guitar I own and love them.

uncle mud

Reaction score
I personally would not change the original tuners if they worked good. I prefer the look of the originals. I have 6 historic reissues. I play them all and have never had an issue with the tuners

KissTone

Reaction score
My vote, get Grover Milk Bottle Rotomatics. According to the specs, the posts are ever so slightly (like a mm or two) taller than regular Rotomatics, which ever so slightly alters the break angle of the strings behind the nut. To me, the strings feel just slightly slinkier and easier to bend. Just my 2¢. I like Grovers for the same reasons the OP mentioned.
Those were my findings as well when I put the reissue Milk Bottles on my R8. The slightly taller posts actually helped alleviate some string binding at the nut.

Streetglide

Reaction score
You'll lose a grand on the sale. Grovers are more than unpopular now,... most people hate them. They're tone suckers for a start. They make an already fragile headstock even more vulnerable to a catastrophic neck break and they are ugly to most folks. Grovers came out of the folkie era. I grew up during that era and Martin started it all in 1958 with their D28. If you gotta do it, do it. Just be prepared to own the guitar or lose some serious jingle if you have to sell it...

Johnhe

Reaction score
It’s only one opinion, but personally I prefer the look of the original tuners you have on there.

Latest Threads