Grovers on a 59RI

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have shallers on a strat .... excellent tuners... the gotos I have on an acoustic build are excellent as well. Grovers have the luxury of having the clout of being chosen as the replacement to klusons by Jimi Page and other guitar gods during the middle of the last century ....so there’s that...

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Grovers have the luxury of having the clout of being chosen as the replacement to klusons by Jimi Page and other guitar gods during the middle of the last century ....so there’s that...
For me, a lot of the appeal of Grovers is definitely related to having seen them on a lot of cool old bursts: Page’s 1 & 2, Beano, Greeny etc...

ARandall

Reaction score
I've got quite a few different tuner types. Almost every single tuner works well........as long as the nut is well cut. I notice no seeming difference in the minor differences in ratio nor 'sturdiness'.
YMMV, but unless I had really good reason to change, I'd advise to stay with what you have.

Stone76

Reaction score
I changed the Klusons that came with my 335 Rusty Anderson model to Grovers this year. Heresy, they said to me.
F*ck resale value, that guitar is staying with me, and I like it more now and feel it sounds better, so how you like it at the end of the day is the only thing you should really take into consideration.

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I always liked Grovers, but since 2018 I been using Gotoh Magnum Locks.

NHDave

Reaction score
Once had a 335 Where the previous owner did the rear ream only. The washers left marks on the veneer which imho is not a great look if you put the klusons back. Ended up putting the grovers back. I like grovers and certainly don’t mind them if they’ve been installed cleanly.

meanmud

Reaction score
I haven't experienced Grovers in the last 10 years, but unless they've changed something - they suck, mediocre at best.

JDZ

Reaction score
I've converted back from Grovers to Kluson's on quite a few guitars that originally had Klusons. There are conversion bushings that you need to ream slightly larger for, then the Kluson's fit right back in.

On the face of the headstock there may be depressions from the washers on Grovers.

As far as tuners go, I really like some of the Gotoh's that lock and also adjust the height of the posts.

Lindsay Morrison

Reaction score
Somebody above didn't like the quality of Grovers. I downloaded this.

"Sperzel tuners are made in the US, as are Waverly tuners. Grover switched production over to Taiwan in the mid-1980's, though Grovers are most likely in mainland China now. Schallers have always been made in Germany and Gotohs have always been made in Japan."

We all know that there are good products coming out of China. I also am not worried about the politics, I would look local though.

Also it's your guitar. It's yours to do what you want with.

I have a 60's Grammer Acoustic with Grovers on it they are fine. Very nice.

Lorenzo R9

Reaction score
Alright...

First and foremost, 59RIs cost an arm and a leg. I got a 60th Anniversary one, its a beautiful guitar, makes its way into every playing session I have. But at the same time, it cost me a lot of money, close to a years savings beyond basic saving after expenses

I dont like the tuners. I dont like the look, I dont like the feel, they do hold tune really damn well though Ill say that. Like it lasted 2 weeks out of the case while I was working 14 hour days and when I picked it up last night I didnt even have to tune the thing

I want Grovers on it, I like the little bit of extra weight on the neck, I like the look and the metal feeling. As much as a player this guitar is for me, its also an investment, if I need a chunk of change this will most likely be sold. How much do you think I might hurt resale value putting Grovers on

Doing a sanity check here from those who have been around the block once or 7 times

And for fun, here she is, I'm a pickguard on guy but I took this when cleaning it up a little while ago. Ignore the GOT box set, yes I know the show was flipping amazing until the last couple seasons but gosh darn if that white walker attack on Winterfell doesnt get your heart racing in the first 20 minutes nothing will. First time I saw it I had to keep pausing the episode and walk around to calm down.....granted MIGHTVE had something to do with something I ate an hour or so before watching it....

50473435917_4ec9781bdf_b.jpg
I also have the 60th year anniversary R9. I think the tuners look great! The whole point was to get as close the the real 59’s at a fraction of the cost, and they did a really nice job getting there. This is a keeper, don’t ever sell it, you’ll regret that decision for a long time. You would be better off living in a van by the river then selling that guitar.

zdoggie

Reaction score
I've never had a set of grovers that were'nt sloppy in the gear train ,
so I went with schaller and sperzel and haven't looked back.
zdoggie

mptachenko

Reaction score
I Grovered my 2000 R9 that I bought new. Never have regretted it. That is what Jimmy Page did to his guitars. Later I bought a set of vintage Grover's that had smaller washers. There was an era where they used smaller washers and I think they look alot better.

Big electric cat

Reaction score
Alright...

First and foremost, 59RIs cost an arm and a leg. I got a 60th Anniversary one, its a beautiful guitar, makes its way into every playing session I have. But at the same time, it cost me a lot of money, close to a years savings beyond basic saving after expenses

I dont like the tuners. I dont like the look, I dont like the feel, they do hold tune really damn well though Ill say that. Like it lasted 2 weeks out of the case while I was working 14 hour days and when I picked it up last night I didnt even have to tune the thing

I want Grovers on it, I like the little bit of extra weight on the neck, I like the look and the metal feeling. As much as a player this guitar is for me, its also an investment, if I need a chunk of change this will most likely be sold. How much do you think I might hurt resale value putting Grovers on

Doing a sanity check here from those who have been around the block once or 7 times

And for fun, here she is, I'm a pickguard on guy but I took this when cleaning it up a little while ago. Ignore the GOT box set, yes I know the show was flipping amazing until the last couple seasons but gosh darn if that white walker attack on Winterfell doesnt get your heart racing in the first 20 minutes nothing will. First time I saw it I had to keep pausing the episode and walk around to calm down.....granted MIGHTVE had something to do with something I ate an hour or so before watching it....

50473435917_4ec9781bdf_b.jpg
Over the last 45 years I've owned many different Les Pauls, SGs, 335s etc. If the guitar didn't come with Grovers I'd have them put on immediately. The only time I didn't Grover a guitar is when the guitar was a true vintage instrument.
Its my personal belief that the patent pending Grovers sound and feel different then the Grovers made today. I think that may have something to do with the metal gear on the tuner shaft. I think Grover is now using a nylon gear.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
FWIW I say do what you want as long as it doesn’t involve too much drilling. But as far as which brand to put on, I would lean towards Schaller too. Greeny actually has Spertzels in, I believe.

Latest Threads