Grovers on a 59RI

questionman

Reaction score
Alright...

First and foremost, 59RIs cost an arm and a leg. I got a 60th Anniversary one, its a beautiful guitar, makes its way into every playing session I have. But at the same time, it cost me a lot of money, close to a years savings beyond basic saving after expenses

I dont like the tuners. I dont like the look, I dont like the feel, they do hold tune really damn well though Ill say that. Like it lasted 2 weeks out of the case while I was working 14 hour days and when I picked it up last night I didnt even have to tune the thing

I want Grovers on it, I like the little bit of extra weight on the neck, I like the look and the metal feeling. As much as a player this guitar is for me, its also an investment, if I need a chunk of change this will most likely be sold. How much do you think I might hurt resale value putting Grovers on

Doing a sanity check here from those who have been around the block once or 7 times

And for fun, here she is, I'm a pickguard on guy but I took this when cleaning it up a little while ago. Ignore the GOT box set, yes I know the show was flipping amazing until the last couple seasons but gosh darn if that white walker attack on Winterfell doesnt get your heart racing in the first 20 minutes nothing will. First time I saw it I had to keep pausing the episode and walk around to calm down.....granted MIGHTVE had something to do with something I ate an hour or so before watching it....

DADGAD

Reaction score
I believe you may only have to ream the back of the peg hole a bit and I think klusons should be able to go back in. Someone here can confirm or deny. As far as resale I don’t think it affects it a whole lot. Eapecially if you leave grover’s on there. If you want Grovers, put them on and enjoy the guitar the way you want it. It may be a forever guitar so why not personalize it to your liking?

DADGAD: Votes for Grovers. (maybe find a vintage set).

I stopped thinking of guitars as investments. R9’s are pretty common and markets tends to fluctuate. I remember when used R9’s were minimum 5k. now you see them in the $3500 range. Granted if you need a chunk of change in the future there will be some
money there but don’t hold your breath on profit. Many gear tome chasers take a loss to keep changing gear.

Sct13

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a set and try it....if you gotta ream it....you gotta ream it....

the reamer is available at Stew Mac....

It will change the character of the guitar by adding mass to the headstock ....its not a bad thing ....

Sct13

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those rudder pedals....? Are you a flight sim junkie like me ?

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I've had such bad luck with Grovers and found so many that were utterly shoddy in their construction, and such poor quality control to them that I've literally found new ones in the box where their collars had never been tapped to accept the threaded bushings, that I shudder at the very notion of sticking Grovers on any good guitar.

Schaller, in my opinion, makes the all-around best line of tuners and whatever style you want, there are Schallers in that style. I would find them.

For my own guitars, I use only Schallers. Once I tried PRS Phase III tuners and they're only of good quality. Nothing special. I'd rate them about the same level as Gotohs. I won't buy them again, even if they were NOT 200 dollars a set! But the best are Schallers.

Brek

Reaction score
Been thinking of doing same to my R0, and same thing holding me back, I know done right the kluson’s could go back on, I shouldn’t be thinking about value loss really as it is my keeper. So it shouldn’t matter either way. I have revolutions on at the moment and I hate the look of the locking screw on the back. I feel the mass has helped the guitars sustain though. I did a ‘look dev’ on it by taking the plastic bits off and screwing some metal ones on from some cheap Grover knock offs I have from an old copy I sold. Looks good. I think if I do it will get some proper milk bottles fitted. They Go for about $200 on eBay.
P.s. the figuring on your guitar is awesome.

Last edited:

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
My vote, get Grover Milk Bottle Rotomatics. According to the specs, the posts are ever so slightly (like a mm or two) taller than regular Rotomatics, which ever so slightly alters the break angle of the strings behind the nut. To me, the strings feel just slightly slinkier and easier to bend. Just my 2¢. I like Grovers for the same reasons the OP mentioned. I have Milk Bottles on a Traditional, and regular Rotomatics on a Tribute, and they're both great - far better than the original tuners, in my opinion.

Also, hot damn, that is a sexy R9... :cool2:

Brek

Reaction score
My vote, get Grover Milk Bottle Rotomatics. According to the specs, the posts are ever so slightly (like a mm or two) taller than regular Rotomatics, which ever so slightly alters the break angle of the strings behind the nut. To me, the strings feel just slightly slinkier and easier to bend. Just my 2¢. I like Grovers for the same reasons the OP mentioned. I have Milk Bottles on a Traditional, and regular Rotomatics on a Tribute, and they're both great - far better than the original tuners, in my opinion.

I read that one of the older Grovers had a 1/8 extra height, didn’t realise it was the milk bottles ones though. That’s something I wanted to avoid, damn. Do you have the fully rounded ones? Like these:

questionman

Reaction score

Well.....

This is strung with 8s currently, slinky as could ever be

I do see why people used these strings, not as much of a tonal drop as youd expect, and insanely easy (and hard) to play

Brek

Reaction score
I just put 8’s on the R0 to see what they are like, I like them, as I have only been trying to learn seriously since March, they allow me to do bends I couldn’t do on 10’s just yet, so will stick with them for a while. Tone surprisingly not awful either.

Sct13

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xplane 11 as my #1 choice...MSFS is hella pretty though...if only they can get the flight dynamics a bit more refined especially with the jets. But I do like my 737 and 757 in Xplane
[/QUOTE

If want to try WWII fighters, the game Il2 Sturmovik is an excellent simulator. It’s not “gamey” like other titles. Great flight models, (how would I know) I never actually flew an Fw190 .... but the flight charectistics are different for every model you fly, real stick and rudder stuff... I like msfs but I get bored flying big jets sometimes ... takes a long time to complete a cycle...

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Huge fan of Grovers, especially old ones. They look killer and contribute to an overall better feel. I also think they make the guitar sound better, but that's been debated to death so let's not go there.

I've owned five R9s and I Grover'd four of them, including my current one. They've never hurt resale value; I usually splurge for vintage sets and I think they're actually a selling point. I'd also suggest going with the milk bottle rotos as @Rob the Photog suggested above. The resulting feel is just wicked.

I also enjoyed GOT, more or less right to the end (gasp!).

20200905_161026_20200907204135864.jpg

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Regarding flight sims, I've spent MANY hundreds of hours flying an F-16C via Falcon 4.0 and its later developments up to BMS 4.33. At my peak skill level I'd say I was pretty dangerous in a furball. I use a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar with rudder pedals to this very day. I use it for spaceflight via Elite : Dangerous as well. It has enough controls that I rarely have to touch either keyboard or mouse.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Any modification like that will have a mild effect on value and will exclude some buyers all together who will not touch a modified guitar. Have that in mind but still go through with it if you really want Grovers. It wouldn't deter me.

Sct13

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spaceflight??? WASSSAT?

Looking it up

Oh yea, did a lot of F-16 and A-10 stuff over the years....I settled on WWII sims because that was my first love to begin with....I pretty dangerous in a 109 or a Spitfire....P-47 has some special needs but its a bad ass ...(in piston engines)

I want to do formation flying but everyone I know thinks its nerdy as hell ....

Jets are faster and very cool, but I'm a stick and rudder guy,,,,tail draggers rule !!

I'm still using the Logitec G something or other rudders and dual throttle ....I'm looking for a good replacement, Might be that A10 stick I keep hearing about....There a guy that builds nice rudder pedals too

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Funny the glory of Grovers, I mean in the world of Tuners they’re middle of the road at best.

Not to overlook Hipshot, but Schaller, Rubner, Alessi, and Gotoh are at least equal if not far better!

I guess it’s like motor oil? I only use Quaker State, Pennzoil, Mobil, or some import that you’ve never heard of...lol

Latest Threads