Grovers for Gotoh for weight savings w/o drilling?

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I couldn't find a conclusive thread.

I saw a YT video of a guy replacing grovers for gotoh on a Heritage LP. Looks like he was able to save 288g-157g = 131g or 4.6 oz
I know most of you guys couldn't care less about guitar weight, but I'm an old man and my back hurts if I play a 11lb+ Gibson for more than 60mins straight. The guitar in question currently has 9.2 lbs.

The only major requirement I have is to not make permanent mods to the guitar and be able to roll back to original if needed.
Looks like the exact model the person used is this one is sxn510v

But, looking at the specs below, even if I chose not to drill the second hole, the bottom hole is off by 0.5mm (10.0mm gotoh vs 10.5mm grover)
Is there a more direct replacement that is at least 90g/3oz lighter than these milk bottle Grovers?

I'm also looking at hipshot with universal mounting plate...Installing hipshots alone would give back 3oz/86g ...
But the weight savings of the open gear Gotoh is very tempting.

maybe a lighter tailpiece could give another 2oz/60g.

Here are the specs of the Gotoh one:

And here are the grovers (I think these are the specs of mine)

Here is the video I'm talking about

Last edited:

Bud Stoner

Something Something Jedi...
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hipshot are lightweight and even lighter if you get some plastic tuner tips.

I have the Hipshot open gear locking on my upcoming DSG build and when I removed the stock metal tips with small plastic pearl butter bean tips, there was a significant difference.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Hipshot are lightweight and even lighter if you get some plastic tuner tips.

I have the Hipshot open gear locking on my upcoming DSG build and when I removed the stock metal tips with small plastic pearl butter bean tips, there was a significant difference.
nice! which button did you choose and where did you get it from?
I see in the specs the "hipshot" metal one weighs 0.25oz / 7.1g each, so I wonder if there is a reasonable lighter version... (not that I would put strat buttons in there)

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Hipshots for sure. I'd look into a lighter guitar... 11 lbs is a ton if you have back/knee/shoulder issues.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Hipshots for sure. I'd look into a lighter guitar... 11 lbs is a ton if you have back/knee/shoulder issues.
Sorry, I was referring to my lighter LP. This one has 9.2 lb currently... would be ideal if I could get another 3-6oz out of the way.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
I'd second the long term prospect of finding lighter guitars - as in a wholistic change in what you look at.
Whilst its great to consider the prospect of a couple of oz being a magic wand to making the guitar work for you....its just not a long term solution (given age will continue to creep up) - and probably wont do a single thing short term either. Low 9's in lbs is not hugely heavy for a Les Paul generally, and all your loss is from the end opposite to where the strap is directly pulling down.

RocketKing

Reaction score
I also have back problems and I really think you ought to consider buying a lighter guitar.
Saving a few grams will do nothing at all in my opinion.
Look for a chambered les paul or an ES model of the same type.
I have a Es 339, fantastic guitar and I can really recommend it.
A full kg lighter than my les paul, perhaps more, and all the great classic tones.
An often overlooked but great guitar.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
The style of the Gotohs depicted, with the scalloped knobs, looks more appropriate for a vintage acoustic than a Les Paul. And I've experienced quality issues as of late with Gotoh tuners and bridges. Shaving a few ounces from your guitar probably won't help in the long run, and new tuners might not be as good as the ones you have now. There is an outfit called Strapp that makes padded neoprene straps. I have two of them and the padding is about 1/4 inch (6mm) thick and four inches wide. You might also try running your strap over your right shoulder (if you are right-handed) instead of around your neck and over your left shoulder. I have seen photos of old-time blues men slinging their guitars this way, and it just might help. Good luck from a fellow chronic back sufferer!

rogue3

Reaction score
not the answer the op is looking for...but an open back,vs. heavier closed back like Grovers...cool topic.so 2 cents...

I dig the open back butterbean tuners in my Martins...i also like the heavier Grovers...i acknowledge a sound difference.It comes down to individual tastes, imho.not huge,but noticeable.Same goes for tailpieces/Tele bridge plates.

to the op.just fill the wholes if they don't match up...and get it done.jmho.

Last edited:

Latest Threads