Group Buy: Honduran Mahogany and Spanish Cedar

x_archangel_x

Reaction score
For anyone who has been playing along and following my last thread, Wood Shopping, you know that I have a great opportunity here, and I would like to pass this along to all of you.

I have a great source here locally for Honduran and Spanish Cedar, and Sapele, too.

I met with the owner of this company and he has agreed to allow me to purchase lumber directly from him, which is unusual, because he doesn't normally do business with the general public.

He is a supplier to Gibson, Paul Reed Smith, Yamaha, Takamine, and a couple of others that I can't recall. And he is a heck of a nice guy.

I want to make sure that everyone who reads this understands that I have no affiliation with this company, no personal interest, no professional interest... I'm not here to try and boost this companies' profit or anything, and I stand to gain nothing by any of this. Now that all of that is out of the way:

Anyone who is interested in procuring lumber, please contact me via PM, VM, or e-mail.

If you are interested in one-piece backs, the mahogany is available in the correct width, but at that width, the minimum length is 6 feet. Thickness is no problem. Billets for necks are also available; the size I inquired about was 3"x4"x30". The wood has NOT been separated by appearance, ie. flame vs. plain, and as such, there is no additional charge for fancy grain.

I have not had enough hands-on time with the wood to know anything at all about its tonal properties or density, weight, etc., but I can tell you that it is an amazing sight to behold, not to mention the heavenly aroma, which is lingering in my nostrils still, three days after visiting the warehouse.

I intend to leave this thread open for a little while, to give everyone time to read and mull it over. I will, at the request of the owner, need a little bit of a lead time to make certain that the orders can be filled properly; I hope this is no problem. As a matter of fact, I expected it.

I will not ask anything above the price I am given, which I will make public on this thread. You will be responsible for shipping, though.

As of today, the price of the Honduran is right about $11.37 per board foot, with Spanish Cedar being about half of that, approximately $5.68 per board foot. I'm not certain about the Sapele; I will have to ask him again.

As I stated in my last thread, he has over 5,000,000 (read: 5 MILLION each) board feet of Honduran, Spanish Cedar, and Sapele, and the Spanish Cedar is definitely Cedrela odorata, verified by the owner. He claims that the Honduran is not plantation grown, and although I don't know how to tell simply by looking at it, judging by the photos in his building and office, and the fact that they have been doing this for over 64 years, I tend to believe it, at least a little. Just my $.02. I won't claim positively either way. All I know is that this wood is absolutely beautiful.

One last thing. The wood is rough cut, not to final dimensions, so it will obviously have to be cut to final size by you. Also, the neck billet size that I asked about will be available flat-sawn for the most part. Here, though, is where I question his definition of flat-sawn versus quarter-sawn, as the terms seem to get swapped around between us and those who actually mill the lumber. :hmm:

All right. That's it for now. Let's get some wood!

bfcg

Reaction score
Does he have a showroom or yard within 400 miles of NY?

Ph3nom

Reaction score
Does he fancy a visit to the uk any time soon? Lol

Claymore

Reaction score
Thank you for this!
Do you know if the Spanish Cedar is available full-width?

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm in for some mahogany...both body and neck blanks (or planks).

Frank

x_archangel_x

Reaction score

Haha. I knew fletch would find this!

If my understanding was correct, yes. I will confirm this week, though, to be certain.

With 5,000,000 board feet, though,i don't think it would be a problem.

I noticed, also, that I failed to disclose my location. I'm in Biloxi, MS.

bfcg

Reaction score
Well then I got the Biloxi blues because thats just a little out of range for me.(1174 miles:wow:)
I normally take a road trip to buy my wood and I have to drive about 400 miles each way.
For 600-800 bf it is worth it. I get to sift and weigh for a day and a half.
I just can't commit to that much through mail order.
I hope you get a huge order, I expect to see a bunch of build threads coming out of this.:thumb:

T_Dub

Reaction score
I'd be in if I wasn't in silly old Canada.

LG2

Reaction score
One thing to I like to add, the larger the order the more the price should drop. Why a group buy would make some sense.

So you order under 60 bf it would be $11.37 order 100 bf you get a discount order 1000 bf even a better price. more you get the better the price and even free flat bed shipping if close to the mill.

I hope this makes sense.

As of today, the price of the Honduran is right about $11.37 per board foot,

ihavenofish

Reaction score
I'd be in if I wasn't in silly old Canada.

one of these days im going to look into just how much paperwork is involved to import. i imagine this particular supplier has a good paper trail to prove where he got it all from so it may actually be a viable source.

maybe all the canadians could have a separate group buy arranged.

$11ish isnt a spectacularly low price, but being available in massive volume and wide boards is a bit rare these days. whenever i call my supplier i get "yeah, we have 2 or 3 boards in that size".

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The thing that is going to hurt this is shipping... an 8/4 by 6' by 14"+ wide board isn't going to be cheap these days.

fletch

ihavenofish

Reaction score
The thing that is going to hurt this is shipping... an 8/4 by 6' by 14"+ wide board isn't going to be cheap these days.

fletch

fedex says about $50. on 1 board it may not be worthwhile if you have a good local supplier already.

LG2

Reaction score
I get some nice reclaimed maple from a guy up in Oregon for good price, but i factor about $1.00 a board ft to have it shipped to California on a flatbed. :slash:

One more thing regarding wood.. lumber stores in general, will score wood for you, and all that needed is a phone call,

this is how it normally goes..

You, "Yo mista lumber guy" lumber guy, "yea? " you, "I need 200 Bf of 8/4 14" or wider soft maple high figure you got any? " lumber guy, "no" you, "can you get it?" lumber guy, "yes"
you, "how much for 200 bf S4S?" lumber guy, "10 million smackers" you, " that's a little expensive do you have free shipping?" lumber guy, "yes" you, "ok I will call around what about 1000 bf?"
lumber guy, "9.25 bf" you. " NIIIICCCE.... do you have a forklift on the ..."

x_archangel_x

Reaction score
I understand everyone's worries about shipping, and I apologize for not having a solution at this time. I will, however, work on seeing what I can arrange; I have friends with good connections, and may be able to work something out, but please don't hold me to this, as it may happen that I can do nothing at all.

With regards to price, I do not know because I didn't ask, but it is of course possible that price will drop with volume. It also may be that that volume is ridiculous, so we shall have to wait and see.

Bill, I'm truly sorry that I can't be more accommodating to you. Distance kills, I know. I will try and think of a solution, if one exists.

I will certainly check on the dimensions of the Spanish Cedar, and I will try to get better photos of the lumber when I am there again. I wish we had smell-o-vision so I could share this with everyone!

EDIT: I am going to check into the paperwork involved in getting this across the border. Obviously, no promises here, other than actually doing the legwork.

derraj06

Reaction score
I am very interested in some Honduran Mahogany. I'm in Auburn, AL so not too far from you. Also, I have managed a UPS for a few years, so I know my way around shipping. PM me if you want to discuss different shipping options for bfcg. I think UPS Freight might be accommodating, depending on the quantity being shipped.

LG2

Reaction score
understand everyone's worries about shipping, and I apologize for not having a solution at this time.

what worries? call a tucking broker and give them the size, destinations and approximate LBS they will be happy to give you a idea what it would be.:slash:
if under 400.00 bucks go to UPS.

T_Dub

Reaction score
one of these days im going to look into just how much paperwork is involved to import. i imagine this particular supplier has a good paper trail to prove where he got it all from so it may actually be a viable source.

maybe all the canadians could have a separate group buy arranged.

$11ish isnt a spectacularly low price, but being available in massive volume and wide boards is a bit rare these days. whenever i call my supplier i get "yeah, we have 2 or 3 boards in that size".

My issue is that I'm in Newfoundland, went to basically the biggest specialty lumber place and they didn't have any, probably wont get it for me at the quantities I want, and didn't even know what species they could get. If another member in Canada has some on hand and wouldn't mind shipping me a couple body and neck blanks I'd be more than willing to pay a little more for it.

Sorry I got your topic off track, but if others up here were interested in trying to get some across the border I'd be interested in looking into it too.

Barnaby

Reaction score
I'd love to buy some of this stuff if there were a way to get it to Japan. I think that's probably impossible, however. Still, if anyone knows anything about the paperwork, I'd be really interested in enough for about ten guitars...

Latest Threads