Grounding Issue After Pickup Swap

Cyclave

Reaction score
I recently swapped my pickups in my Epiphone for 490r and 498t combo, and screwed something up. I get a loud buzz when I touch the bridge, strings, pots, tuners, and etc. even when the pickups are at 0 volume. (This sound goes crazy loud when I touch something metal with my other arm.) Everything works fine besides the buzzing.

I've been told that I could have wired the input jack wrong, but I didn't even disconnect it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a noob at this and am at college so I have to get it right when I go home this weekend.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Cyclave

Tevilspek

Reaction score
Yeah we really need to see it in detail to be able to help, sorry man.

Cyclave

Reaction score
Okay, sorry for not posting a picture, but I figured it out. It was the input jack. Turns out that the lead wire was extremely loose and just broke off today while I was playing and tightened it a little.

FFXIhealer

Reaction score
Ok. I'd resolder BOTH LUGS of the output jack, just to make sure it's a rock solid connection from now on.

Cyclave

Reaction score
Ok. I'd resolder BOTH LUGS of the output jack, just to make sure it's a rock solid connection from now on.

Just gotta wait for Saturday.

Do you have any advice on keeping it all tight and secure? I don't want to screw a LP jack plate on the front of my SG or anything like that though.

Can't wait to hear my G400 with the 498t and 490r WITHOUT a crap jack. Maybe it'll help me stop playing my Strat so much.

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
If it doesn't have one already, a star washer will keep things from moving around.
It will also keep the jack from spinning while you tighten it up.

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
I had this set in my SG, so i'll be on the lookout for your post about "How do I keep the neck from being so muddy" or "The bridge is way too harsh, what can I do"
The answer to both these questions will be the same, Magnet Swap.
But I digress, some people like the set:slap: YMMV

Cyclave

Reaction score
I had this set in my SG, so i'll be on the lookout for your post about "How do I keep the neck from being so muddy" or "The bridge is way too harsh, what can I do"
The answer to both these questions will be the same, Magnet Swap.
But I digress, some people like the set:slap: YMMV

I like them so far and don't mind a little mud or harshness as my only other guitar is a tricked out *hardly a* Squier strat with Vintage Noiseless single coils. And by hardly a Squier, I mean it's basically a Fender with a piece of crap body. (Oh, how I wish I had the funds for a real guitar... BTHO college tuition.)

Keep in mind that I bought the Gibson combo for $40 each, so it's a cheap improvement over the Epi combo it came with. :applause:

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
That's a fair price, & for just a few more bucks, you could probably be real happy.
I put a link in another other thread to where you can get magnets to improve the set

addiction-fx | eBay

A lot of people will recommend an UOA5 in the bridge, & an A3, or A5 in the neck.
Both mags + ship will be under $10, & it's definatly worth it:D
Good luck, & keep us posted
D

Cyclave

Reaction score
Well, I fixed the grounding issue. Turns out it wasn't just the jack; the bridge ground was broken off somehow. That explains why I experienced the grounding issue get worse in two phases until the jack wire broke.

FFXIhealer, I did what you said and resoldered both lugs after cleaning off the contacts. I'm probably going to go in and put in thicker wire the next time it breaks if it does.

DPaulCustom, how hard is it to magnet swap? I've only reverse engineered single coils, and haven't taken my Epi's old pickups apart yet. The set is not covered (I HATE covers on anything but Les Pauls).

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Takes about 5 minutes if you don't have covers.
Go to youtube & search humbucker magnet swap,
It's easy, & the effect can be Very dramatic:thumb:

Latest Threads