Grounding Bus Wire

crowemag82

Reaction score
What do I need/???

What gauge does Gibson use from factory? Thanks!

smk506

Reaction score
I’ve used braided and solid before, never paid much attention to gauge to be honest. Thin enough to be able to fit in a stud hole with the stud compressing it into the wood, and thick enough not to break, that’s been my only real criteria.

I’m thinking about using some desoldering braid on my next kit. I’m thinking it should deform around the stud nicely since it’s flat and can be kind of ‘frayed’ or poofed out a bit, and it should take well to the back of a pot.

I think @ehb may have brought the idea to my attention, can’t really recall for sure though.

Reactions: ehb

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Gauge is unimportant. Anything you have and can work with is just fine. Solid, not stranded, and for convenience's sake, 18 to 24 gauge, anywhere around there is fine.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Gauge is unimportant. Anything you have and can work with is just fine. Solid, not stranded, and for convenience's sake, 18 to 24 gauge, anywhere around there is fine.
This.
Solid, you know where it is and where it will stay.
Gauge is for mechanical strength... electrically, 36ga would do the job.

Reactions: ehb

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
so i'm not as ill informed as i thought. I actually was thinking of using some scrap door bell copper wire. not sure what the ga is, but it's small....maybe like thin pencil lead. to my dismay, i tried using a spool of some type of small ga winding wire my dad had in his junk drawer, but it apparently has some type of clear coating on it, as i can't get solder to stick to it. I have enough build guitars for the rest of my life, and wrap around the house twice. thanks.

ARandall

Reaction score
Size is irrelevant electrically.
I mean the entire signal of the guitar is contained/generated the hair thin 42 ga or finer of the pickup coil wire.
And the bridge ground doesn't even form part of signal path, it only exists to remove a hum bearing avenue from exiting the jack. A mere connection of any description would be enough.
The only reason why thicker is used is down to mechanical convenience.....so it's sturdy enough to be poked through the access hole (and not to get snagged on the wood grain), and strong enough not to be torn apart during bushing installation.

Roxy13

Reaction score
From the TP stud I've been using stranded as I thought it might conform better. For connecting the pots though I use solid.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Solid is fine for your pot ground bus. Doesn't make a hill of beans difference done correctly.

What DOES make a difference is the soldering part. Want soldering to be a breeze, get brush cap Kester liquid flux. Before soldering the ground bus wire, paint pot back with flux, heat with iron tip and let a thin wash of solder to spread. The pot back is now sealed from oxidation in that area. Soldering the bus wire will be a breeze as you need very little solder to solder bus wire.... be a breeze desoldering/resoldering forever...just flux a dab every time...

60/40 is fine. 63/37 goes liquid at about 371°... 60/40 about 380° which is a second or less... Once interface is formed, it makes no difference which solder you used....as long as it is one of those two and not the newest solder. Not to speak ill of a modern advancement in solder.....but it ain't worth whale shit...soldering and especially desoldering.....

I use thin ass solder, thinner the better.... Flux is da cheeze. I never rely on flux core. Much easier and more efficient with flux.... especially with intricate soldering.

Always shoot for PERFECT ground. Racket can be eliminated or beaten to minimum possible with perfect ground...

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw Luxe sells it. I almost bought some but I have had way too many bad customer service experiences with him than I care to mention, so I refuse to order anything further from Luxe. Great products. Horrid customer service with canned excuses on cut & paste standby.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw Luxe sells it. I almost bought some but I have had way too many bad customer service experiences with him than I care to mention, so I refuse to order anything further from Luxe. Great products. Horrid customer service with canned excuses on cut & paste standby.

That's pretty funny as, so far, I have had the opposite experience. I purchased a pre-wired harness from Cream Tone recently and after I paid my money. I got a nice little note from Lonnie thanking me and said my harness would be sent out soon. I have heard of their issues before and read their web site, so was expecting a fairly long wait. I e-mailed a couple of times over the following 5 weeks with no response. Eventually it showed it was moving as it was tracked and came to me fine. I just thought a reply or a follow up saying the shipping is slow or the parts aren't in yet... But I received nothing.

Now I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Luxe and I have gotten two or three e-mails, saying my order has been received, and it will be today, actually. So far so good. I will temper my expectations now that I read this. ;-) I also had communications prior to ordering that were quickly addressed and very professionally handled.

Cheers Peter.

PS - these are my first dealings with both Cream Tone and Luxe.

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Luxe is notorious for giving pretty quick tracking details, then never giving the package to USPS for days or sometimes weeks or sometimes only after you email and are like "what the F is up with my order?" I can't & won't do business that way.

As I said - nice enough guy, very nice products but......

Anyways, I hope you're order comes in quick!

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm in no rush. It's actually a gift card that my company got me for a bit of a bonus. Should end up with about 14 sets of LP and SG caps and a bunch of wire and tubing. Almost like free! As long as my wife doesn't find out it was an amazon gift card! lol
Your stuff looks awesome Matt. I might look you up next time a bonus comes around! ;-)

Cheers Peter.

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm in no rush. It's actually a gift card that my company got me for a bit of a bonus. Should end up with about 14 sets of LP and SG caps and a bunch of wire and tubing. Almost like free! As long as my wife doesn't find out it was an amazon gift card! lol
Your stuff looks awesome Matt. I might look you up next time a bonus comes around! ;-)

Cheers Peter.
Thanks Peter :)

Latest Threads