Gripped tone knobs

chrose1201

Reaction score
Hey all as I get used to my LP after years of playing Fender and Ibbys I find it hard to quickly and easily grab the volume tone caps. I saw pictures of tone knobs with rubber grips if you will. It seems that it is only the Ibanez knobs that have this. I am willing to by a couple of knobs so I don’t mess with the originals and glue some rubber strips on them. Maybe small rubber bands? Whatever I do I need to be able to easily and quickly grab my volume knobs. Solutions? Thanks

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Hey all as I get used to my LP after years of playing Fender and Ibbys I find it hard to quickly and easily grab the volume tone caps. I saw pictures of tone knobs with rubber grips if you will. It seems that it is only the Ibanez knobs that have this. I am willing to by a couple of knobs so I don’t mess with the originals and glue some rubber strips on them. Maybe small rubber bands? Whatever I do I need to be able to easily and quickly grab my volume knobs. Solutions? Thanks
I know artists like Joan Jett and Dimebag D used to have a soldering iron heated and melted holes all around the knob and it would act as a good grip. I think most glued would deteriorate at something like a rubber band, so if you don’t want to solder them it might be better to get some grip tape like they use on skateboards, cut a piece wide enough to go around the flat part of your knobs and if you want to restore back to originality, you could pull the grip tape off with firm attempts. Me however, I approach an entirely different method it was actually an accident because i put a prewired kit in my les Paul epi backwards. I now have the volumes on the outside and tones are now closer to the pickguard. With nothing in my way, I can quickly reach down, firmly apply decent pressure to the knob with the right side of my hand and snatch up real fast. Volume all the way up. When I want to turn it down, I simply reach down find the knob I want then push to the floor.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, Ibanez and Fender have been two of the few manufacturers who used rubber inserts. The Ibanez knobs fit metric shafts, and won't fit the US Gibson pots.
Fender still makes the "Soft Touch" knobs, but they are only available in aged white and would look out of place on a Les Paul.

Buy a set of replacement Gibson knobs, store your originals, and use the soldering iron trick to add texture to the replacements.
Rubber bands, deck tape, gun grip tape, and anything else you stick onto the knob is going to loosen and deteriorate fairly quickly.

ARandall

Reaction score
There are speed knobs with indentations in them available. You'd need to doublecheck they're made in the imperial type though.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be able to find a set of Gibson Max Grip speed knobs, black or gold. They have the indentations around the top edge. Gibson doesn't sell them, though and they are hard to find. Stratosphere sometimes has them.

Grenville

Reaction score
PRS Lampshade knobs, pricey but great.

A search on Ebay for knurled Les Paul knobs has a lot of results, but be aware that 'metric' knobs will not fit on USA controls.

Latest Threads