Gretsch tone switch vs toggle switch (revisited)

Davey Rock

Reaction score
is there any difference in a tv Jones tone switch vs pickup selector switch?
FB6A32F2-54C1-4A9E-A721-0ADA54FDB46F.jpg
F735B611-B060-4EEC-A04C-E4FB3C198274.jpg

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Same thing
Nope. Still not correct no matter how many times the OP asks.

The tone switch is normal-open in the middle. Meaning nothing is selected in the middle. 1 or 3 position connects a tone capacitor to ground, while the middle position does not.

Pickup switch is normally closed in the middle touching both 1 and 3. The pickup switch is either pickup 1, pickup 2 or both at the same time in the middle.

Davey Rock

Reaction score

The tone switch is normal-open in the middle. Meaning nothing is selected in the middle. 1 or 3 position connects a tone capacitor to ground, while the middle position does not.

Pickup switch is normally closed in the middle touching both 1 and 3. The pickup switch is either pickup 1, pickup 2 or both at the same time in the middle.
So technically speaking, in “luthier” terms, a tone switch is basically just a non bent pickup selector? The main reason I’m asking is because I want a coil split switch but I don’t like the look of mini toggles on guitars without top routes. (Pick guard mounted electronics) I think the Gibson coil split switch looks better like on that 70s Gibson es. I may have to build one as I can not find any form of dpdt switch unless it is a mini toggle. (I’ve been told that although a regular pickup selector is spdt or dpdt that it doesn’t work as a coil split because middle position involves both.) I really just want a more traditional look

Davey Rock

Reaction score

Actually come to think of it, that guy was you!

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
I can’t think of a way with a standard switch craft switch to accomplish this. Not to say someone creative could not figure it out,

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I can’t think of a way with a standard switch craft switch to accomplish this. Not to say someone creative could not figure it out,
I’ll think of something. Thank you for the information I couldn’t find for the life of me. Knowledge is priceless. I appreciate it man.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
There are many different versions of the switchcraft switch. Just do a search on ebay in the electronics section. Some of them have 5,6,7,8 contacts. For standard guitar stuff, it’s 3 or 4.

ARandall

Reaction score
I’ll think of something. Thank you for the information I couldn’t find for the life of me. Knowledge is priceless. I appreciate it man.
The other way its done is with 'circular' switches like the varitone on a 355. Of course that is for varying values of the same sort of effect.
The 'freeway' switch you see at Stewmac and similar might be worth investigating too. I've not gone into what it does specifically, but if its like a strat superswitch then you could set it up for almost anything within reason.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
The other way its done is with 'circular' switches like the varitone on a 355. Of course that is for varying values of the same sort of effect.
The 'freeway' switch you see at Stewmac and similar might be worth investigating too. I've not gone into what it does specifically, but if its like a strat superswitch then you could set it up for almost anything within reason.
Yes it’s a regular pickup selector except you can do more. Some if they have 3 humbuckers will do strat configuration, some simple do regular configuration with coil split and some as capacitors maybe to have a more attractive varitone switch. I for one love the old school chicken switch!

Last edited:

Latest Threads