Gretsch tone switch vs pickup selector switch?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
So I found these two switches. I know that most pickup selector switches are spdt (single pole double throw) or something. I also know that a lot of mini toggles use spdt to split humbuckers if somebody doesn’t want to take space up with the double pole version.
74D20D0B-39F6-4D22-BFD2-93F1F6F33CDF.jpg
93501376-D14A-40B9-B6E6-F2F157C40E9C.jpg

these two are from tv Jones website. The black tip is a tone switch used for adding capacitors to change tone slightly. Like a miniature Gibson varitone. The cream tip is aregular pickup selector. These two look the exact same so can they be used the same way? Also I want to coil split some humbuckers but with a bigger switch. The mini toggles just don’t look as appealing to me. Could I use these standard size pickup/tone/standby switches to coil split since they are spdt?

ARandall

Reaction score
The typical mini toggle SP or DP either in single or double throw works in a different way to these selector switches.
Typically the ones you have shown here are better as pickup selectors as they do better as an inline selector....where the switch is part of the signal chain and you select your source (or in this case the switch works by de-selecting the source you don't want).

Mini toggles are much better for switching in changes or additions. Coil splits/parallel, treble or bass cut capacitors (like with Gretch tone circuits). You have multiple lugs which are selectable and you can preserve the through signal but add in the filter if needed.
The downside about mini toggles however is that they have a much smaller thread depth, so they are better suited to pickguards or sheeting installation (pedal enclosures, amp facee etc). Wood has to become very thin to mount them successfully. So strats and Teles are perfect targets for them as their controls are mounted on such thin material.
And this is probably why Gretch would have used the switchcraft style selector for the tone switching.....and why Gibson used another toggle on the ES 347 for the coil split operation.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
The typical mini toggle SP or DP either in single or double throw works in a different way to these selector switches.
Typically the ones you have shown here are better as pickup selectors as they do better as an inline selector....where the switch is part of the signal chain and you select your source (or in this case the switch works by de-selecting the source you don't want).

Mini toggles are much better for switching in changes or additions. Coil splits/parallel, treble or bass cut capacitors (like with Gretch tone circuits). You have multiple lugs which are selectable and you can preserve the through signal but add in the filter if needed.
The downside about mini toggles however is that they have a much smaller thread depth, so they are better suited to pickguards or sheeting installation (pedal enclosures, amp facee etc). Wood has to become very thin to mount them successfully. So strats and Teles are perfect targets for them as their controls are mounted on such thin material.
And this is probably why Gretch would have used the switchcraft style selector for the tone switching.....and why Gibson used another toggle on the ES 347 for the coil split operation.
Ok thanks man. I suppose if I’m inclined to I’ll just buy a cheap one to try my nerves. Thanks for the info. And yes I indeed thought I was the only one who knew a pickup selector actually only disconnected the other pickups signal!

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
The difference in switches Is the tone switch is 1, 2 or 3 only. The pickup selectors is 1, 3 or both.

Latest Threads