Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet (used) - Thoughts?

firebird52

Reaction score
I've had a little gas lately for a Double Jet. I've never owned a Gretsch guitar, nor do I know much about them, but I spotted a used one on eBay that appears to be in pretty decent shape.

I am after that Malcolm Young look and sound. This model is one of the few that looks accurate that I am able to find and afford. I'm not going for a 100% replica, just the general look and feel that Mal is known for.

Here's a link to an imgur album with the listing's pictures. Let me know what you guys think of this, if it looks good, a maximum price, etc.

Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet - Album on Imgur

Thanks

dennis g

Reaction score
I can only speak from experience, and have no experience with this particular guitar. That said, I own a Gretsch 5122DC and a Gretsch 12 string (5422DC12). I think their quality/fit/finish is great and have mo complaints. Nor did George Harrison, Chet Atkins, Brian Setzer, et al. Then again, I like Ovations, too :laugh2::laugh2:

disaffected

Reaction score
i own a 5434. Build quality is solid. Electronics are well done but of average quality. Not my favorite guitar but solid. I may be incorrect but my guess is that you will want to change pups. Those pups are not the best IMO

paco1976

Reaction score
If I find this guitar used for a good price I won't be able to resist the GAS.

firebird52

Reaction score
Thinking about putting a bid on it, if the price stays down.

I messaged the seller, he said this about this particular guitar:
"It's one of the early ones with the solid mahogany body which makes it kind of rare because they switched to a cheaper wood later on and chambered out the body."

Will the fact that this guitar is a solid body affect the tone that I'm going after? I would almost certainly switch out the bridge pickup for a TV Jones Classic Plus at some point, but is the solid body something to stay away from if I am looking for an AC/DC / Malcolm Young sound?

dennis g

Reaction score
Any last second advice here? Listing ends very soon.

Can't help you out here. No experience with the Gretsch solid bodies, and, no offense, but AC/DC is probably my least favorite band on the planet and their stuff usually lasts about ten seconds before the radio station gets changed. Good luck with whatever you decide.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I had a lot of trouble with my Gretsch Corvette II. Made in China, things started to fail at the one year mark. Strap pins pulled out. Tuners came loose and would fall out during string changing. I near gave it away, they are run by Fender from 2003 to date. The thing seemed like it was made out of saw dust. I always wanted a Gretsch and never will get one like Harrison had.

old mark

Reaction score
I have had several of the Electromatics, several made in Korea and 2 made in Indonesia. I once owned an original US made Gretsch a '60's Chet Atkins, and the imports are FAR better made. The Gretsch forum is full of people who say buy the old ones for collecting and the new Electromatics for playing. They are made by Peerless, I believe, for Gretsch which owned by Fender. FWIW, their new model pickups are BETTER than the old ones and respond very well to adjustment to pole piece heights, and overall pickup height. They are great playing guitars.

Latest Threads