Greenback type speaker battle.... VOTE!

??

• Celestion G12M Greenback (1st clip) sounds the best to me.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No way, the Celestion G12M Heritage (2nd clip) gets my vote

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Actually, the Tayden True Brit (3rd clip) is fantastic!

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

5F6-A

Reaction score
I have a closed back 2x12" cab with two Tayden True Brit speakers. These are UK-made clones of the old G12M. They sound very good and certainly have that distinct late 60s British flavour. However, I don't know how they compare to the Heritage G12M (RI) or the current G12M Greenback formerly made in China and now made again in the UK.
In the video you can hear the same clip through the same amp through the new Greenback first, then the Celestion Heritage and finally the Tayden. Please vote your favourite for the quintessential British tone.

Please bear in mind that both Celestions were in 2x12" cabinets whilst the Tayden was in a 1x12" cab.
The original recording of the tracks belongs to Watford Valves in the UK. It wasn't me playing or recording the tracks.

Reaction score
2 and 3 sound extremely similar. Maybe that's good for the Tayden, since it was just one. But I voted 2. Just a little clearer in harmonics, I think. Both better than 1.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I voted for #2.....although I really liked the Tayden very much. #1 fell apart with an annoying resonance (I'd guess around 550-600hz) ...you can really hear it in the riff that starts @0:26...the C# and D notes go rogue

5F6-A

Reaction score
I voted for #2.....although I really liked the Tayden very much. #1 fell apart with an annoying resonance (I'd guess around 550-600hz) ...you can really hear it in the riff that starts @0:26...the C# and D notes go rogue
Your contribution is top notch (as always). Thanks buddy.

Last edited:

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was looking forward to getting back from holiday so I could hear these clips properly on studio monitors. I voted for the G12M Heritage, low mids are a little scooped, but still retain the warm definition I expect from a good 70s G12. Would be interesting to hear that compared with the 55Hz version, and with G12H, which I also love. Freddy G, you clarify eloquently and more precisely what I heard as "mushiness". I have never owned any Heritage Celestion G12s, but plenty of pre-Rola and early Rola.

It's a shame Tayden don't specify the bass resonance of their speaker. It sounds good, but not as good as the Heritage G12M 75 Hz to my ears.

Liam

Latest Threads