Greece in Default

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
i'm ranting while you call the population of greece spendthrift deadbeats?
i want a solution, and help for the greeks. yet you only want punishment.

somehow you seem to think the greek population is sitting on all your precious euros.. probably stocked below their pillows. think again.. all that money loaned went to european and greek banks, not to citizens like you and me. but yet again you think those are the people that have to repay that money.

you find it normal that greece is forced to cut in social benefits, yet are asked to honour their weapon deals(from germany)
And then you'll start ranting about responsibility again, and how you have to repay debts (just not the germans) We've been there.. so please, save yourself a heartattack and put me on your ignore list, cause your logic will never be mine.
Meanwhile guys like verhofstadt are laughing while walking to the bank.:wave:

Small recap:

How has austerity worked out for eurozone countries? - BBC News

Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Cyprus have all been in the same boat. However Greece was the first and its problems have been the longest lasting. The Greek government gave misleading financial information to get into the euro in the first place and then manipulated the figures to mask the extent of its deficit right up to the time when the credit crunch exposed its deep-rooted problems.

Evul Germans

B.t.w. I was in the doctors waiting room, reading Esquire magazine (the Dutch version).
Rich Greeks complained about how their foreign bank accounts were getting limited (for withdrawals) as well. They could only cash €500 per day for each foreign bank they had an account with.

Da horror....

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Reaction score
Send Euro repo men..

Antiquities for EVERYONE !

I got just the team

repo-man.jpg

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Reaction score
Oh, and from JCM900's article...

Latvia is one of the countries that has contributed to Greece's bailout.

Latvia.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
That's a very good point- the costs of this makeweight folly are being imposed not just on Germans- I just used them as a counterexample of economic strength and responsibility- but every taxpayer in the EU, including the Latvians, Irishmen and Slovaks.

Otto tune

Reaction score
i'm ranting while you call the population of greece spendthrift deadbeats?
i want a solution, and help for the greeks. yet you only want punishment.
Since when is it "punishment" to expect a loan to be paid back? And if it isn't, no more money will be loaned out until something changes.

It's like the old college roommate who shows up broke on your door, so you let him stay "Just until he gets back on his feet." But he raids your fridge, knocks over your Les Paul "Sorry", and drinks all your booze. Then asks for a few bucks, but he'll pay you back someday. "Oh, can I borrow the car, I'm going to check out the ponies today".

When do you throw him out? Tough love.

I'd gladly blame the politicians, but they were elected overwhelmingly.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
lǎo​wài;7122060 said:
Oh, and from JCM900's article...

Latvia is one of the countries that has contributed to Greece's bailout.

Latvia.

I always figured Dr. Doom had a lot of cash

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Now I will say this- not to defend Greece's feckless and irresponsible conduct, but rather to point out that neither side exactly has clean hands- part of the current misery, a great part in fact for ordinary Greeks, has been caused by the ECB's imposition of a cash freeze, a move of little fiscal value but rather calculated essentially as a means of extorting Greek obedience: strangle them until they agree. "My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse." --M. Corleone.

chasenblues

Reaction score
a great part in fact for ordinary Greeks, has been caused by the ECB's imposition of a cash freeze, a move of little fiscal value but rather calculated essentially as a means of extorting Greek obedience

Stopping a run on the banks..That didn't have much cash left.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Since when is it "punishment" to expect a loan to be paid back? And if it isn't, no more money will be loaned out until something changes.

It's like the old college roommate who shows up broke on your door, so you let him stay "Just until he gets back on his feet." But he raids your fridge, knocks over your Les Paul "Sorry", and drinks all your booze. Then asks for a few bucks, but he'll pay you back someday. "Oh, can I borrow the car, I'm going to check out the ponies today".

When do you throw him out? Tough love.

I'd gladly blame the politicians, but they were elected overwhelmingly.

Politicians don't elect themselves...(overlooking the voter fraud issues, of course). They voted for both, membership in the EU (a process during which their elected officials cooked the books) and for the individuals and parties that have run the country for the past 22 years. While I sympathize with the Greek people, who will suffer the effects of this self-inflicted plight, they (with an assist from the EU) are squarely at fault in the making of this crisis.

What do they call it when you do the same thing, over and over, and expect a different outcome?

Now I will say this- not to defend Greece's feckless and irresponsible conduct, but rather to point out that neither side exactly has clean hands- part of the current misery, a great part in fact for ordinary Greeks, has been caused by the ECB's imposition of a cash freeze, a move of little fiscal value but rather calculated essentially as a means of extorting Greek obedience: strangle them until they agree. "My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse." --M. Corleone.

The EU definitely deserves an assist for its tireless contribution to the problem. There EU knows no shame in the levels to which they will gladly stoop in order to maintain the existence of this experiment.

chasenblues

Reaction score
So cutting off their cash made sense?

Kinda goes back to the why throw good money after bad..

Is not the money that's currently used by Greek banking institutions "Emergency" funds supplied by the ECB..above and separate from the other loans and bail outs from the same organization's?

If the citizens and the gov blow through those "reserves/emergency" funds..Given the current situation where or who would they(Greece) get more cash from?

(Real questions, Not rhetorical ones.)

HenryHill

Reaction score
When the gov't regulates the access to your own money, they've already decided that the economy is going to take a dive, and they don't care.

They are supporting the larger banking system over the health of the current economy, which will be strangled without access to the citizen's own money.

I guess Greece doesn't allow citizen ownership of guns. :laugh2:

Chicago John

Reaction score
On a lighter note, after this movie, the Greeks adopted Anthony Quinn as one of their own. A Mexican with a true Greek soul. In this clip, these guys just lost their ass- they're bankrupt...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPWU8hy0McY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPWU8hy0McY[/ame]

Latest Threads