Greco violin bass - fret question

badoogie

Reaction score
I bought this bass as a project, and one of the things that needs attention is the frets. Although they look pretty grubby they’re actually not that worn. The thing is, the frets have been cut quite short, and don’t reach across the binding. The ends aren’t particularly smooth - I could always spend some time rounding them off, but that would decrease the usable fret width even further. The funny thing is, looking on Reverb at other similar Grecos, and even some vintage Hofners, it seems that there are others with these short frets. Should I refret, or just tidy up the current ones?

Frets aside it seems like a nicely made bass, and I’m looking forward to getting it up and running. :naughty:

170F60BD-C122-434F-9D66-3C0DAB8A9843.jpeg

3175FA9C-0021-473F-8575-0B54C47CED84.jpeg

Stephmon

Reaction score
As a bass player, I would say it depends on who it is intended for, and their playing style. If the player's style doesn't incorporate a lot of broad vibrato, or bends toward the edge of the board, the clearance is usually more generous than a guitar's (as can be seen, where the strings marked the board and the frets).

mdubya

Reaction score
Put two strings on it and let 'er rip! :jam:

JMHOYMMV. :hippie:

Latest Threads