Greco U2000 vs PU 0 - stop me if it's been asked before ...

EG700

Reaction score

EG700

Reaction score
Dry Z in a Greco, compared with other PAF-type options, here:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yahoo Japan had a pair of Dry Z recently with a starting bid of Yen 100k. I don't see them there now.

If one wants to economize a little, then there's a pair of U4000s listed currently at Yen 40K:

Glyphs! - GRECO U-4000 PU F R set JAPAN VINTAGE (yahoo.co.jp)
The Zs were probably fake. That's why they have been there for several months on YJ. Actually looks like they are gone now but they were there a couple of days ago still. You have to be really careful with those.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Dry Z in a Greco, compared with other PAF-type options, here:

Not a lot of difference, Throbaks had more midrange honk at one moment there. The main complement is the body/neck wood that Fuji-Gen used in the 1200s, had to be tap-testing going on there.

EG700

Reaction score
I am
The Zs were probably fake. That's why they have been there for several months on YJ. Actually looks like they are gone now but they were there a couple of days ago still. You have to be really careful with those.
I'm mightily impressed with whatever pickups are in this '77 EGC that I've invested in. I assume they're U1000s but ... who knows? How can you really tell? It's got me beat. I wouldn't know an Alnico 5 or 8 from a hole in the ground.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I am

I'm mightily impressed with whatever pickups are in this '77 EGC that I've invested in. I assume they're U1000s but ... who knows? How can you really tell? It's got me beat. I wouldn't know an Alnico 5 or 8 from a hole in the ground.
You might eventually be able to tell the differences by ear. I was pretty surprised the past several months that I got them all correct. I didn't think I knew enough about how different magnets sounded and maybe worse, I didn't think my hearing was good enough anymore.

I like U 1000s so...

EG700

Reaction score
May I ask, if one changes out a pre-Nov'78 U1000 from a , say, '76 EG600, to put in a U3000, what does one gain?

Apart from getting an Alnico 5 magnet instead of an Alnico 8 magnet, which one can get anyway by putting in a U2000?

Using one's ears, what IS the difference between a U2000 with Alnico 5 and a U3000 with Alnico 5?

And if so, then what is the source of the difference? Is maybe the size, shape, or placement of magnet different?

JDZ

Reaction score
I've read that the original Ibanez super 58's are the same as dry Z's, but I don't know anyone that can afford a set of Z's to test the theory? LOL
They are not the same as DRY Z's.
The Ibanez LR-10 had 'LR Special' pickups which have SUPER 58 base plates and the infamous 'Z' stamp. They don't sound anything like a DRY Z and the resistance is completely different than a DRY Z.

Latest Threads