Greco Pickguard fit issues

villager

Reaction score
thats because grecos are metric and gibsons are not... fitting pickguards to any MIJ is a nightmare.. best if you just get an undrilled one ...

ThePanda

Reaction score
Bummer I'll try and return it. Any pickguard supplier suggestions?

ThePanda

Reaction score
@Roxy13 Thanks I will check them out.

Will I have similar issues with the bracket and bracket screws?

Roxy13

Reaction score
@Roxy13 Thanks I will check them out.

Will I have similar issues with the bracket and bracket screws?
Should be a direct fit. Yours looks like its 1980 or later, right? I'm not sure if the Hosco ones fit pre-Super Real ones or not.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Did Hosco make a black multi layered black guard for customs? I always just see the cream ones.

Roxy13

Reaction score
They make a 3 ply black one, but not 5.

Raviolio

Reaction score
Bummer I'll try and return it. Any pickguard supplier suggestions?
I've had pickguards made for a few MIJ LPs including some Grecos. I'd highly recommend Mojoaxe. He does great work.

FYI... one thing I've noticed is that amongst the three Grecos I currently have (two of them even being the same model) the top screw hole near the cutaway is in a slightly different position on each of them.

So I just took careful measurements and applied them to a separate PDF template (that I got from Mojoaxe) for each one. Each guard came out exactly as I spec'd.

Hydra19

Reaction score
On another subject, anyone know where to get these sort of 80's MIJ pickup rings? I've had a few, some cracked but I have not been able to find any in similar color, all are too light and coffee/ tea staining didn't work, nor leaving it out in the sun for a month.
They have a really dark creamy color to them, that fits the pickguards on these 80's MIJ guitars, and the new rings I've aged are nowhere near aged enough. I'm currently trying to glue some cracked rings together with super glue

Roxy13

Reaction score
I don't think any new rings are going to look like old rings unless someone here has the secret to aging them well.

The only thing I can suggest is seeing if anyone has some in their parts drawer or watching the auctions for them and bringing them home with guitars since shipping just rings would be pretty expensive.

So far it seems on mine anytime I need to replace rings there are usually other things that need replaced as well like the pickguard and often hardware. So in the end the guitars end up with several new parts and maybe don't look as funny.

mono

Reaction score
MIJ plastics are really difficult to source. I have just bought a pickguard for my LS80 after 2 years of looking. From Japan. Hopefully it fits...

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I don't think any new rings are going to look like old rings unless someone here has the secret to aging them well.
You can lightly sand the rings and put random scratches and then soak in coffee overnight. The coffee trick doesn't seem to work consistently on all plastics. I have a Greco strat where the pickup covers were much darker than the volume knobs. I soaked the knobs in espresso overnight but they only slightly darkened. In the past I have done something similar with much greater change. Anyways, it is cheap to attempt.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I just keep bringing home new ones with guitars I've bought. I have like 7 sets of rings coming in today with a Tokai body and neck.

The aging is probably due to smoking, which I quit doing over 6 years ago.

I'll try the coffee experimenting some time, thanks.

ThePanda

Reaction score
Use a jigsaw and or file and open it up to fit.
I thought about it. I figured I would get more for my money if i returned it. More value just returning it. Also the cream color looked a bit off.

My Hosco one came in. It fits except the top hole is just a little off. I will probably add another hole in that one. The color matches better as well.

Last edited:

Latest Threads