Greco LP Special 1975?

Dalko

Reaction score
Hello, i just bought a Greco Les Paul Special Double Cut.

Pre-serial. Star tuners. Nothing in the catalogs, a guitar i have never seen before ...
I have only found Greco TV-500 Junior (one pickup) with the same kind of tuners and logo:

Pictures here:

Has anyone ever seen a Greco like this?

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Possibly the neck pup added after it left factory. That is an oldie. No doubt about that

Dalko

Reaction score

zombywoof

Reaction score

Roxy13

Reaction score
I've never seen one either, very cool find.

m5570

Reaction score
I think it’s modified. I think the neck pup was added later. I think the way the light plays on the horns makes it look modified.

Dalko

Reaction score
To me it looks original.The light, and camera settings can change the appearance of an image, it's true. That's why it's difficult and ungrateful to judge only from the photos the originality of a guitar.

Unfortunately, when we buy on the net, we have no choice. My estimation and judgment are that it's original. When the guitar will arrive, I will open the controls and pickups cavities to check. If the changes have been made it will be visible. But, that would surprise me a lot.

I just bought the guitar, so it will take about 2 months to see. I'll have to buy at least one more guitar, or two.

The shipping costs are cheaper if the guitars are shipped together.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'd assume that's original, as you already noted the control arrangement and cavity cover looks professional and original -- hell, it's even got the remnants of the original protective paper on it.

Seems like most of the MIJ specials out of the seventies used dog ear pickups in both positions and I wouldn't be surprised to find a semi-bolt-on neck under the pickguard when it arrives.

Should be a decent guitar at worst -- total ripper if you're lucky!

Tokai is way cool.

Dalko

Reaction score
The items came yesterday. I tried to remove the pickuguard, but the screws were so dificult to remove, as if no one had ever tried to remove them. I used some WD-40 and I waited ... Today I managed to remove the screws, except one, which was too rusted, and which broke.

Now a have to remove the pickup cover screws, but it also difficult ... I just put some WD-40 and i will wait until tomorrow. For control cavity it was much more easier.

For the moment everything seems to be original. No extra holes under the pickguard ... Nothihg suspect.
If I managed to see the pickup cavity, I will take some pictures tomorrow. If not, it will be better to wait another day than broke another screw ...

I think the Greco has a great collector's value. It's so rare that I've never seen another one ...

For Tokai, i found another one for sale, here: https://reverb.com/item/30263010-tokai-ls-150-singlecut-1984-burl-maple

For something like 5K ... Limited Edition. Mine has a "D" on the fretboard. 26 guitars?

Dalko

Reaction score
Ok - pickups are from 25.10.1974.

All original, with OHSC.

Some pictures:

64F100

Reaction score
You'd better hope a double cut has a long neck tenon! Otherwise you might be buying the guitar in 2 pieces.

Dalko

Reaction score
You'd better hope a double cut has a long neck tenon! Otherwise you might be buying the guitar in 2 pieces.
You're right. :) it's just that at that time greco mostly used "dowel joint" as a tenon. But, it's true, it was for single cut copies.

This may be the reason why the double cut is rare.

Last edited:

Latest Threads