Greco Les Paul Custom owners, need some advice

Hydra19

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Greco Les Paul custom, but from searching it seems they had several models over the years. I'm looking for something high-end although Ebony fretboard is not a requirement. I used to have a Greco EG600 PR, that was ok, but I didn't not like the maple neck so I'm looking for models with mahogany necks but does anyone know years Grecos had mahogany necks before or after maple necks?
Do most of them have 14 degree headstock angles? I've read somewhere that only the EGC68-100 had 17 degrees, all models below for Customs had 14 degrees.
What is the difference between something like an EGC650/ EGC68-60/ EG800? Are those all the same basic model but different years?
I had a few MIJ Customs, the Greco, 2 x Burny RLC60 and a Navigator CTM320, but they're all gone. Burny's were cool and so was the Navigator but the neck was too big and it was too heavy.

Ideally I'm looking for a Greco Custom with a 17 degree angle, MOP inlays, and nitro finish, the rest I'm not too picky on. I'm just looking for some basic advice on which models and years to look for. Thank you!

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
So do you want a Maple top or an all Hog body ?? I have 3 Greco customs but all are Maple topped/lower end so i can't help you too much.

Having to have nitro and MOP and that 17 degree angle should narrow the field considerably though.

Good luck

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
The Greco nitro finishes are kind of different from proper nitro. You will probably notice that there are not many old Grecos with checking / cracks like old school nitro. 1979 to 84 should be ebony board and mahogany necks. I think in 84 they started using stained rosewood boards. In 82 they changed to the EGC68-xx naming scheme. Not sure what an 650EGC is. Generally the lower the number, the cheaper the pickups and tuners and possibly more pieces making up the body. The year you go after might also depend on your neck thickness preference too. I think in the 70s the necks were slightly thinner. I believe around 83/84 they also stopped having nibs.

I recently took a look and didn't see many higher end Greco customs on yahoo japan. Greco also made some pretty junky low end ones so you want to make sure you get the right model. I would aim for an early 80s EGC800 or EG68-80 but you might need to wait for a while for one of those to show up. I think Wulfman might be posting one shortly on the classifieds section here from what I just read there. I would say the advantage of buying from a long term member on MyLP is that they will probably give you way more details then you would ever get from a YJ auction or even a store in Japan.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
If you want a one piece mahogany neck, ebony board, and nitro I think you need to be looking at the Super Real 1000 model.

I have an early '82 500 and it's maple top, poly and rw board.

I had an '83 57-60 and it was all hog, but poly and rw board.

I currently have a 1990 EGC 600 and it's all hog, but poly and rw board as well.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
If you want a one piece mahogany neck, ebony board, and nitro I think you need to be looking at the Super Real 1000 model.

I have an early '82 500 and it's maple top, poly and rw board.
had an '83 57-60 and it was all hog, but poly and rw board.
I currently have a 1990 EGC 600 and it's all hog, but poly and rw board as well.
Super Reals were 800 and above but agree otherwise that Super Reals would be the best model to go for.
Didn't realize Greco made an all mahogany custom. I wish Greco had made a '54/'55 version with the staple p90.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
I own a 83' 57-60 all mahogany Greco LPC
Poly finish ( you can see the grain sunk in) isn't like modern poly.
8.8 lbs
Screaming 82 pups are great.
Rosewood board, which I don't mind but will change it to ebony when I get a refret done.
I bought it from Wulfman over a year ago, zero interest in selling it.
If I absolutely needed a nitrocelluose finish, I would go Gibson...but I don't buy new, or care either way any more.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
I think Wulfie has a buyer lined up for the 1000, 68-80 is a good'un if you can live with Maple top and 14deg headstock. Unless Wulfie still has his 58-100 and can be enticed... :naughty:

wulfman

ABB Fan
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't have my EC57-100 anymore. When I got it and sold it I thought that surely there would be more out there but they are one of the rarest MIJs in my book. I've only seen a couple others and one had had a scalloped fretboard.
Good to go with an EC-1000 from 80-81 or the Mint Collection RC68-80 for ebony and MOP with a fairly thick neck profile but if you need a 17 degree headstock and ebony/mop and mahogany then Tokai makes one but they aren't cheap new. They have fret binding.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
The above threads made me double check the catalogues. It looks like I was wrong. I think in '80 and '81 the EG800C model was called a Super Sound. In '82 the Super Real was called EG68-80 but I think some of them were also called 800s. (I am pretty sure my previous '82 had an 800 sticker on it so this is where my confusion came from). I had a look at the catalogue from '80 and the EGC800 was actually called a super sound. So I guess my 1980 Super Real was an EG1000C. Too bad they had pulled the pickups and the waffleback tuners from it. The EG1000Cs originally came with Dry pickups according to the '80 catalogue :(

bertrand4070

Reaction score
my 81 800c has a supersound custom trc and have rosewood board and bo checking. if yours had an ebony boad, it was a 1000c.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
my 81 800c has a supersound custom trc and have rosewood board and bo checking. if yours had an ebony boad, it was a 1000c.
Yeah, my '80 Greco has an ebony board and the Super Real trus rod cover. It did originally have waffleback tuners judging by the imprints and holes. What is "bo checking"?

The '82 EGC I had also had the Super Real TRC and an ebony board. It was a violin finished EGC68-80. It came with the double trick pickups, instead of the screamin. The other advantage in the 82 was that they had the proper long tenon. I found the pic that shows the serial # and the 800 sticker. It also had the flower pot headstock instead of the diamond.

82EGC68-80.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score
I was watching an 82 800 on the auctions just a little while ago and it had rosewood for the fb. I decided the upcharge in price for a 2p top and the wafflebacks wasn't worth upgrading my 500 for. I guess some had ebony then and some didn't?

JDZ

Reaction score
I have both an '81 Black Beauty and an '80 Black Sunburst Super Real EG 1000C with DRY Z that I plan to sell - keeping one in violin finish. These have ebony board with MOP markers.
PM me if interested.

Last edited:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I was pretty sure that my 82 EGC was ebony. I don't think any of the EGCs with the Super Real TRC had rosewood but I might be wrong. I think wulfman has owned more of them than me though and he seems to have all the specs practically memorized. From memory when I bought my 82 it was designated as an ECC68-80 but I read a few places that some of them also had the 800 sticker on them just to confuse things. I think it is getting into the fine deals. I am sure the EGC500s were pretty good. The violin finished EGC500s come up way more often than the 800s and there have been a few that I considered getting. The hard thing is finding one that weighs less than 4kg.

wulfman

ABB Fan
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was watching an 82 800 on the auctions just a little while ago and it had rosewood for the fb. I decided the upcharge in price for a 2p top and the wafflebacks wasn't worth upgrading my 500 for. I guess some had ebony then and some didn't?
1980-1982 March would have rose boards.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I was pretty sure that my 82 EGC was ebony. I don't think any of the EGCs with the Super Real TRC had rosewood but I might be wrong. I think wulfman has owned more of them than me though and he seems to have all the specs practically memorized. From memory when I bought my 82 it was designated as an ECC68-80 but I read a few places that some of them also had the 800 sticker on them just to confuse things. I think it is getting into the fine deals. I am sure the EGC500s were pretty good. The violin finished EGC500s come up way more often than the 800s and there have been a few that I considered getting. The hard thing is finding one that weighs less than 4kg.
Mine is heavy. I haven't weighed it to know for sure, but I believe it's over 10lb.

bertrand4070

Reaction score
Yeah, my '80 Greco has an ebony board and the Super Real trus rod cover. It did originally have waffleback tuners judging by the imprints and holes. What is "bo checking"?

The '82 EGC I had also had the Super Real TRC and an ebony board. It was a violin finished EGC68-80. It came with the double trick pickups, instead of the screamin. The other advantage in the 82 was that they had the proper long tenon. I found the pic that shows the serial # and the 800 sticker. It also had the flower pot headstock instead of the diamond.

View attachment 469293
no checking sorry.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
no checking sorry.
I should have realized it was a typo. Was thinking it was some term I didn't know about.

Looks like Wulfman has the answer. I guess by the serial on my 82 EGC, it was from May, so it fits that it had an ebony board. So does this mean that some of the EGCs with Super Real trus rod covers had rosewood boards?

bertrand4070

Reaction score
wrong truss rod is always possible in a factory. does a 80 gibby have already some checking ?

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
wrong truss rod is always possible in a factory. does a 80 gibby have already some checking ?
Checking depends on the actual formula of nitro. I have a Navigator NLP from 2004 that has tons of checking.
I would imagine if someone had flown with their nitro guitar it would also have more checking due to the temp changes. Or if you lived in a country with extreme seasons. I had a strat body that was gold nitro and claimed to be old school formula. It had checking in less than 1 year. So a 40 year old guitar that claims to be nitro probably should have some checking here and there unless it had other components in it to make the finish more stable.

Latest Threads