Greco id

darrenB

Reaction score
Hi all

I just bought a 1980 Greco egc, seller said it’s a 500.
It has waffle back tuners, fret nibs, 100k tone and 300k volume pots, fret nibs, 3 piece top, 2 piece back. It doesn’t have the original pickups, I fitted a set of bare knuckle into it. If this is a lower end model then I would love to see the quality of the higher end models, or sustains forever. Anyway any thoughts?
Thanks

Attachments

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Looks like Rosewood in that bright light, but the wafflebacks suggest an 800. Were EGC800s specced with Rosewood? Nice seamwork on the top, I can't make out 3 pieces :yesway:

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
The "better" models are just closer to traditional specs: less body/neck pieces, better pickups, lacquer finish, maybe some other things.

I think some much more experienced experts than I would agree that if you like the feel of the guitar, some new electronics (pots and caps too!) will get it to the point where it can square off against a CS gibson - SONICALLY. Feel could be totally different or a non-issue to you. The poly Greco I played was just as good as my Super Real/Mint Collection Transition EG59-100 or my EG60 (sold now) in terms of the playability and feel. Obviously the electronics could be improved significantly.

Big BKP user here - what set are you looking at? Riff Raffs in an LP are tops - but I'm a punk/70s rock kind of guy. I just got Mules but haven't tried 'em yet.

darrenB

Reaction score
Yep it is a rosewood board and a 3 piece top, the seem work is so good on it u really have to look for the join in sunlight, never seen it done so good before.

sound wise it has a real beefy and full sound, a little dark, like an all mahogany les Paul, but it has a maple cap. It is also lighter than my other les Paul’s, but it isn’t chambered.

I have a bk mule in the neck and a black dog in the bridge, sounds glorious

I will leave it in for a setup, definitely a keeper

darrenB

Reaction score
I would have said an egc 500 myself if was not for the waffle backs and the 100k and 300k pots, the neck is also 3 piece

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The pots are normal for the model. Some early 1980 EG-500C and EG-600C (the Ace and Frampton) models had wafflebacks too. Could be early production specs. Is it a 79 serial or early 80?

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have a Gibson Blueshawk that has the wrong tuners on it. I have to assume some kind of factory screw up. It has Grovers instead of the vintage deluxe tuners and yes, no extra hole anywhere and paint inside the holes for the shafts so they were never enlarged. I bought it from it's original owner too. I don't know how that could have happened, but it seems to have happened.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
I bet you’d be very pleased if you installed a 50s spec harness. Those BKPs have lots of great tones depending on how you work the knobs.

I bet a good deal of that dark/warm tone you hear is from the pots. YMMV - they might work well with a bright setup. Personally, I don’t like the taper on my old Greco or Tokai pots.

The art of tone custom cts pots are best imo. A lot of people like the vipots - they’re good when they work. I won’t waste my time on such a chintzy product. The AOT pots get close enough and are much better constructed. And I mean that after comparing to the real thing in the same guitar.

GBLEV

Reaction score
Yep it is a rosewood board and a 3 piece top, the seem work is so good on it u really have to look for the join in sunlight, never seen it done so good before.

sound wise it has a real beefy and full sound, a little dark, like an all mahogany les Paul, but it has a maple cap. It is also lighter than my other les Paul’s, but it isn’t chambered.

I have a bk mule in the neck and a black dog in the bridge, sounds glorious

I will leave it in for a setup, definitely a keeper
Put some 500k pots in it and it will brighten up considerably. Congrats on the nice score!

bertrand4070

Reaction score
I have a Gibson Blueshawk that has the wrong tuners on it. I have to assume some kind of factory screw up. It has Grovers instead of the vintage deluxe tuners and yes, no extra hole anywhere and paint inside the holes for the shafts so they were never enlarged. I bought it from it's original owner too. I don't know how that could have happened, but it seems to have happened.
i had an 1981 egc 800 with 7,25 radius. can you believe that ?

darrenB

Reaction score
Thanks all, yeah was thinking of putting a bare knuckle harness in, 550k, pots is what they recommend and wiring it 50’s style. I will check out the art of tone pots also. The pickups are great and sonically the guitar is amazing, I love rockin out a d chord on it, I can feel it resonate through the body and it sustains forever.

I have left it in for a setup, I can do the electronics myself. Can’t wait to get it back.

nopea

Reaction score
they are great tuners, it’s a 1980 serial and pots date to 1980 also
They look like Noble pots from here and they usually do not have a date. Is there a better picture of the pots with the date?

I would lean to an early 80's Super Real EG500 C - but the waffles tuners are the only thing that do not match. :confused:

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 10.45.11 PM.png

nopea

Reaction score
Thanks, those are not Noble pots. These pots are often found various MIJ guitars. They date to either Feb. 80 or Feb 90 (most likely 80s).

Latest Threads