Greco EG 500 questions

PuroMojo

Reaction score
This is a Greco EG500. Some one can tell me if this Greco has a real flamed maple top, or is some kind of veneer. What other characteristics it has. Top is only two pieces. Is the body chambered/holed inside, 'cause it's lighter than other MIJs from the same years.

eBay | 1980 Greco EG-500 Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul Standard Guitar MIJ

Also it states it's from 1980 with serial 0 6175 that could be also from 1990, no?
There are other tips on the guitar that can help date it. It's looks quite good for a 1980s guitar. How can one be sure about the year?

thanks.

tonebone

Reaction score
Thats real flame, but it looks like veneer on plywood.

It's a chambered Greco. I thought those were 450's?

muccax

Reaction score
hi
if you look at the pictures ,,, you can see it is a chambered body (A caved-body guitar as chingo123 says) it is a 1980 model ,,, the tuners was not made in 1990 ,,, only in ca 1979-1982 ,,,, normal it would have super power on the head .... but as allways with old greco any thing goes :):)
i got 3 super models from 1980-1981 and i love them :thumb: all of mine has a solid top ,,, they made them with both solid top and chambered body
:applause: very good guitars :applause::applause:
this one looks very good and only 3,3 kg a good thing
all the best
otto

muccax

Reaction score
hi
i would go for the burny ,,,, :thumb::thumb:
the only thing is that it is 4.4 kg ,,, a bit heavy for me .... but a very good guitar
i got one from 83 a rlg 50 .... heavy too ,,, but a very good guitar
with FEB ,,,, and solid top
all the best
otto

muccax

Reaction score
hi
and i got a eg 450 in black with a sticker on the neck .. with a solid top :thumb::thumb: from 1982 with long tenor but no FEB
all the best
otto

PuroMojo

Reaction score
Either one will be ok for me, I'm just trying them to find good guitars. If i don't dig it, i'll put for sale again. I'm sure I will not be disappointed with neither. And in a couple of months I'll be getting another one to try. Thanks for your help...

PS.I have enough with some heavy guitars, my Gibson and the Orville in question are heavy as hell.

tonebone

Reaction score
That Burny isn't a lightweight. 4.4 = 9.7lb. Not a sumo wrestler, but tipping the scales toward the heavy side.

Some regret selling their chambered Greco's. One of kind sound, from what I've read.

JamesT

Reaction score
I had a semi-hollow EG-600 Custom from '77. Loved how it sounded and it was still pretty heavy considering it was hollow. Chambering isn't for everyone but it can definitely produce some cool sounding results.

PuroMojo

Reaction score
So I made and offer to that EG 500 and I got it for an even lower price. I'll let you all know how does it feels in my hands :D. Thanks for all you guys great feedbacks. :cheers:

londonsounds

Reaction score
So I made and offer to that EG 500 and I got it for an even lower price. I'll let you all know how does it feels in my hands :D. Thanks for all you guys great feedbacks. :cheers:

Interesting to see a "hollow" body EG-500 as pointed out. Mine is a 3 piece solid maple top and at least 9.5 lbs. I have the same pick ups, which are decent, but if you like the guitar, and can afford an upgrade in all electronics...go for it.

Latest Threads