greatest recording amp ever!

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
huh..., looks like Johan's playing is getting better. That dude cracks me up. I like how, once his jams start, he splits the screen to shots of B-roll he takes on his little nature walks. Ironic that he made this video about a princeton brown face, since he's such a nut for vintage Marshalls.

I'm a recent convert to Fender. I'm definitely one of those folks now that believes Leo Fender perfected the electric clean tone, twice. The first time with the late 50's tweed circuits, then again with the mid 60's blackface circuits. The King of Clean. Dirty tones?...I'd look elsewhere.

Olds442

Reaction score
Ok, infomercial and shameless plug. This is a toneful amp with considerable versatility.

As @pnuggett pointed out, claiming the greatest recording amp is like naming the most beautiful woman.

First video was impromptu, recorded with an ipad, and has a real Ry Cooder vibe. Would have fit right in with the "Streets of Fire" soundtrack. Second video was done professionally.

that sounded great, nice slide chops. :cheers2:

not a bad sounding amp either.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok, infomercial and shameless plug. This is a toneful amp with considerable versatility.

As @pnuggett pointed out, claiming the greatest recording amp is like naming the most beautiful woman.

First video was impromptu, recorded with an ipad, and has a real Ry Cooder vibe. Would have fit right in with the "Streets of Fire" soundtrack. Second video was done professionally.

Your amps sound killer man! What is the "soul" control? Technically speaking..

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your amps sound killer man! What is the "soul" control? Technically speaking..

Thanks, Freddy.

The "Soul" channel operates differently on different models of my amps. On the Tweed 12 it is far simpler than on my big amps. The Tweed 12 has a Soul toggle and a Soul pot. The toggle gangs a second channel with the default input gain stage. The Soul pot controls the gain for the second channel. The second channel (Soul) is much hotter than the default channel. Really kicks thing up a notch. It's the same idea (but hotter) as using a channel jumper cable on an old tweed amp.

Last edited:

GrandJunction

Reaction score
I have owend a couple of Princeton Reverbs - GREAT in the studio, but didn't do much for me as a live amp. Switched over to a 60 watt Kustom (can't remember the model number off the top of my head) and that works great for both.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I’d think a PR with an extension cab would be plenty. I’d love to just build a BFPR head and a few cabs. A 2x10 cab weighs nothing. A 4x10 cab weighs barely more. Load it with some efficient speakers and you’re gonna be pretty loud for most places.
Im still toying with building an AB rig with a 5w 2204 head stacked on a BFPR head, sharing halves of a 4x10 divided cab.

Latest Threads