greatest recording amp ever!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I own a Princeton Reverb and yes, it is a great amp.
But I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the greatest recording amp ever.
Too many great recordings have been made with different amps.
That alone nullifies that "greatest ever" line.

And some people sound good / better with a particular amp they use.
As in amps as in guitars, one shouldn't narrow "it" down to one particular thing.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
There isn’t even a greatest tone. As soon as I pick one, I hear another I like as much or more.
The tweed champ was probably the easiest for the studio to record, but back in the day they could spool up Super Leads, so I don’t think it was much of an issue either way.
Throw a treble booster in front of a small tweed and mic it. Nobody will know it’s not a fire breathing 4-hole.

fry

Reaction score
It’s a heck of a nice amp, that’s for sure. There’s a guy in the next town over that I have done some guitar dealing with over the years. I was at his house one day, and he had one of those amps, special edition tweed version with the Cannabis Rex speaker. I had never really seriously looked at one before, and I was blown away with how awesome it sounded. He later sold it at quite a discount, and I should’ve jumped on it.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
All depends, I want GRAINY Cheap R+R tone = 1957 Silvertone 1391-----LOUD MEATY=Sundown---Monster Garage- Supro Black Magic.....Hell, I'm even using my BUZZBOX Brian May VOX......all these "tools" can be used, luckily, I have SUPREME talent and vision I ALWAYS get results.

Last edited:

zigzag

Reaction score
I like Princeton amps a lot, but was not at all impressed with that recording. Lows were mushy/muddy and highs too warm. Mic placement?

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok, infomercial and shameless plug. This is a toneful amp with considerable versatility.

As @pnuggett pointed out, claiming the greatest recording amp is like naming the most beautiful woman.

First video was impromptu, recorded with an ipad, and has a real Ry Cooder vibe. Would have fit right in with the "Streets of Fire" soundtrack. Second video was done professionally.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Brown Face!?

giphy.gif

gif-wow.gif

rogue3

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the sound of the vintage brownface Fenders.I have one(Super).Got nice midrange.
Not dirty like the Tweeds(Bassman excepted!:cool2:), not scooped like the Blackface or later Silverface Fenders.

six-string

Reaction score

this quote from an actual guitar site .....who would have thought you had to explain this stuff to the woke crowd?

Here we’re looking at a Fender Super Brownface amp, with the ‘brownface’ trim putting it directly between the ‘Blonde’ and ‘Blackface’ eras. (In the vintage amplifier world, the terms ‘Brownface and’ ‘Blackface’ – referring to the amp’s white lettering on a brown or black control panel – have no relation to what those terms mean in current political or cultural contexts). ‘Brownface’ amps appeared in 1959 and were built until 1963, followed by ‘Blackface’ amps in late 1963 to 1967, and then superseded by ‘Silverface’ models. ‘Blonde’ amps were built during the ‘Brownface’ era, and the Blonde covering was offered on the new Piggyback amp designs, and one combo – the Twin.

Latest Threads