Great Vid on Orange 'sound' and history

smk506

Reaction score
I’m only about 1/2 way through, but it’s a very cool video so far. What a fun history!

I’ve never had an Orange either, I keep meaning to pick one up, but so far the right deal has eluded me.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like his idea about bring back some of the original Orange Amps.

fry

Reaction score
I just picked up an Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII 2X12. Very cool amp, but maybe a little too loud. Heavy as holy hell, something like 84 pounds! I got it at a price I’m happy with, but the jury is still out as to whether I’ll hang onto it or not.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I have a Micro Terror as my only Orange amp. It's just a 12AX7 and an SS power section, so I don't know if it sounds like an Orange or not ;)
Same here. I do want an AD30 or an OR15.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII 2X12. Very cool amp, but maybe a little too loud. Heavy as holy hell, something like 84 pounds! I got it at a price I’m happy with, but the jury is still out as to whether I’ll hang onto it or not.
Yea almost any Tube 2x12 is anvil weight. The two speakers alone are bad, but throw in the massive Transformers, bingo.

TXOldRedRocker

Reaction score
I subscribe to that channel and saw the video earlier. I have always liked the Orange sound, and its history, but I can't get past the stuck-in-the-1970's orange and white appearance. (And the dark series is not a tone I would want.) Excellent video.

NotScott

Reaction score
When I was in high school, there was this unassuming music shop in downtown Newark, NJ of all places. They had mostly band instruments, some pianos and organs and mostly knockoff brand guitars like Aria, Hondo and Lark. However, they had a back room that housed the greatest collection of Orange amps I have ever seen. They had to have about 20 4x12 cabs and dozens of heads. It was wall-to-wall Orange in there, from floor to ceiling!

I was a dumb kid at the time and thought Fender/Marshall good, all else suck, so I didn't appreciate what was there. A couple years later I was in a band with a bunch of guys much older and wiser than me. When I told them the story, they threw me in the car and we went looking for the place. Sadly it was gone. I wonder what ever happened to that collection?

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When I was in high school, there was this unassuming music shop in downtown Newark, NJ of all places. They had mostly band instruments, some pianos and organs and mostly knockoff brand guitars like Aria, Hondo and Lark. However, they had a back room that housed the greatest collection of Orange amps I have ever seen. They had to have about 20 4x12 cabs and dozens of heads. It was wall-to-wall Orange in there, from floor to ceiling!

I was a dumb kid at the time and thought Fender/Marshall good, all else suck, so I didn't appreciate what was there. A couple years later I was in a band with a bunch of guys much older and wiser than me. When I told them the story, they threw me in the car and we went looking for the place. Sadly it was gone. I wonder what ever happened to that collection?
Just a guess, the owner of that store giged with Orange Amps, ergo what he sold. THe generic band stuff paid the bills.

NotScott

Reaction score
Just a guess, the owner of that store giged with Orange Amps, ergo what he sold. THe generic band stuff paid the bills.
Doubtful. The manager/owner was an older fellow in his 50s who looked like a big band leader. No way that guy was rocking out with multiple stacks. The other reason I think not is that all of the amps were new.

It was an amazing collection in the strangest place you could imagine.

fry

Reaction score
Yea almost any Tube 2x12 is anvil weight. The two speakers alone are bad, but throw in the massive Transformers, bingo.
Well I said the jury was out, but I think the jury is back in. I’m going to keep the Rockerverb. I always liked amps with two speakers more than a single speaker. This one is surprisingly compact for being a 2X12. I put a couple of neo speakers in it to trim the weight down to something somewhat reasonable. It has an awesome clean channel and a kick-ass drive channel. It also has a really good footswitchable reverb. I happen to love the orange and white cosmetics, it makes Orange amps very distinctive.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
My 4104 was like 80, before I loaded heavier speakers into it. :(
But the WGS Vet 30's kick ass all over those 70's that came out. (For my purposes...)
Those Orange amps sound killer, though. I always thought they were just doom amps, with nothing but sludge gain. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Rhett is cool. I discovered him from Rick Beato's videos. They're great when they're working together, same as Tim Pierce.
It's always nice to hear from legit pro working musicians, who don't need anything flashy or trendy to get shit done. Just some old school knowledge.

GySgtFTL

Reaction score
I've owned an OR15, TH30 and micro terror. I really liked the TH30 but sold it. I still want an AD30 but it'll have to wait for a while. Great amps for sure.

jojo

Reaction score
Thx for posting. I'm going to watch this when I have more time. I love orange amps. I've had a bunch over the years. Currently I only have one , a vintage OR 80 pix only. Plus my trusty Orange 4 x12 that's over 10 years old and very well broken in :)

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I've been an Orange user for over three years. Mine is a Dark Terror, but I I use it with much lower gain than most owners appear to be doing. I I played out, it would be the TH30 and a 2x12 with V30's inside. There appears be not much discussion here these days on Orange amps on MLP.

classicplayer

Eigen

Reaction score
Cool video, thanks for sharing.

Had an AD30HTC into a closed back Orange 2x12 cab for a while. Man did it shake the room, pure rock machine, still some of the greatest tones to ever come from my fingers, kept getting compliments on it.

I've downsized to mostly 1x12 combos as the AD was a bit loud through the 2x12's when cooking, but man do I miss it.

Tried a Tiny Terror as well and I loved it.

But that's it, don't see Oranges around too often and when you do they tend to be going for cheap. I keep getting tempted to get another AD30 or even a Tiny Terror, but I haven't let the GAS drive me to it yet.

Latest Threads