Great Bands You Only Got to See Once Before They Broke Up.

ThirdStone

Reaction score
I'm so bloody envious of what some of you guys had the luck to experience. My list is way, way far from that awesome.

There's more, but this is what I remember atm:

Motörhead (RIP Lemmy, Clarke, Taylor)
Allan Holdsworth (three times) (RIP)
Page & Plant with Black Crowes as warm up act
Udo (doing a tour of only classic Accept songs)
Neil Young with Pearl Jam as "backing band"
Peter Green
Rush (twice, one of my favourite bands ever, but they toured extremly rarely close to my sorroundings
Deep Purple with Mk II setting, I believe Blackmore left (for the second time, lol) later during that tour

malcostuart

Reaction score
GentleGiant, and a band called If. Gary More with the original 1972 or 3 Skid Row ( superlative jaz Rock trio, blew my effin socks off ! ) saw him 4 or 5 times after that throughout his career.

Metal Guru

Reaction score
Honestly it was one of the worst shows ever!!

Sly was so drugged out he left the stage every few minutes to do more lines. The audience was pissed, the band was pissed, the promoters and everyone else was pissed off that night.
My HS friends went to see them in East Lansing, Mi. in '72.
After being 2 hours late, the band carried Sly out to the stage, laid him there and commenced the show. Guess they wanted to get paid.

I saw Gentle Giant open for Yes in Detroit in '72. They could play a lot of different instruments. I still like "The Power and The Glory".

I saw Brave Belt (later to be BTO) open for T.Rex in Detroit in '72. Totally forgettable experience.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Premium Member
Reaction score
How about bands I missed, for stupid reasons?

Led Zeppelin, I said I'd catch them next time around. Bonham died after the tour.

Pink Floyd - The Wall tour. While I liked them, I wasn't a huge fan at the time. All my friends came back the next day, like their lives had been forever altered. And The Wall, was what turned me into a big Pink Floyd fan.

The Who, same as Led, figured I'd catch them next time. I think they stopped touring, after that one? Then Entwistle died.

Tom Petty, his last show at the Hollywood Bowl. I was supposed to go, but my friends flaked and didn't let me know when they got tickets. Of course he died 2 months later.

markbastable

Strange kind of blues-coloured moon
Reaction score
Once?

Mott the Hoople - though with Ariel, not Mick
Kiss - original line-up.
Genesis with Gabriel
Van Der Graaf Generator
Steely Dan, with Becker - not sure any lineup counts as *the* lineup
The Only Ones
Echo and the Bunnymen
Fleetwood Mac with Christine on one of their breaks from breaking up.
Blondie
Mott the Hoople - with Mick but not Buffin

jim777

Reaction score
I am going to forget so many...
The Ramones
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Rush
FM
Led Zeppelin
The Who
The Cars
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Brand X
Steely Dan
The Moody Blues (with Patrick Moraz)
Frank Zappa
The Police
Jethro Tull
Squeeze
Elvis Costello
B.B. King
Dokken
The Beach Boys
Bad Co
Van Halen
The Romantics
The Smithereens
The Eagles
def Leppard
Yes (the real one)
Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman

and I have no idea how many others. I'm old and my memory is shot lol

Last edited:

Zungle

Reaction score
So I saw them twice.....both in intimate venues,giving performances that killed.

But I wish I had seen them more, tragically Criss Oliva was killed by a drunk driver.....

Tthe original Savatage line up with Criss and Jon Oliva was the shit.....under appreciated in the 80's metal

Chriss playing excellent....

Last edited:

Eddieblz

Reaction score
I went to see Nick Masons Saucer Full of Secrets a couple of weeks ago. Epic Concert. Nick is King.

Eddieblz

Reaction score
I'd post the vid I took but I made a fool of myself and stepped all over it. LOL

Doc Holliday

Reaction score
Nirvana.... but that wasn't really a breakup.

Saw the original Black Sabbath lineup in 1999. So kind of an after the breakup, but before the other breakup... :dunno:

I almost got to see the original Gn'R lineup during the tour with Metallica.... but my Mommy said it was too dangerous..... yeah, really. :eek:
When they toured with Metallica they did not have all original members Izzy and Adler were already out of the band.

Doc Holliday

Reaction score
What bands have you seen live that are no longer around, or that basically aren't... In the case of classic bands with one original member. :laugh2:
Pantera,Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio,Bad Company,Motley Crue,Vinnie Vincent Invasion,Deep Purple MKll,

Sledge

Reaction score
This doesn't exactly count, but I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd just a few weeks before the plane crash

Mark C Richard

Reaction score
Bo Diddley
Rush
Page/Plant
BB King
Etta James
Elvin Bishop
Allman Bros
Meatloaf
Johnny Winter
Y&T