Gravitational waves hit earth ...no idea where they came from....

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
if it's a graviational wave from betelgeuse going nova, then GWs travel faster than light. :eek:

heavy shit bro.
Perhaps... or perhaps the gravitational flux of the star before it blows.
The supernova process begins with the star collapsing in on itself.

But the process could still take many years.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
the greeks knew. it happens when Atlas shrugs. or has to scratch his nuts. as long as he don't drop the ball entirely we should be ok.

funniest thing I heard all day!

rogue3

Reaction score
well this is reassuring

I think we need to …...I don't know....will it matter?

I was feeling pretty crappy on the 14th and my cats were stuck to the celling for a few seconds.....that was interesting....

Anyway ….Betelgeuse is / will/ might go supernova sometime this century....so …..

Betelgeuse. If the star goes supernova, it would produce a gravitational wave burst that could be detected.

Funny to think,it may have happened 642 years ago(distance to betelgeuse,642.5 light years )

Will it matter? Makes one wonder what it would be like to get fried by a strong gravitational wave,considering we detected the first one just 4 years ago.LIGO will inform us!

http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/

Olds442

Reaction score
Perhaps... or perhaps the gravitational flux of the star before it blows.
The supernova process begins with the star collapsing in on itself.

But the process could still take many years.
do you know how many names we have for a "nova"? it's one of the things astronomy "knows" the least about, and we're mostly in the dark about everything.

to me fun ones are the repeaters. remember back in school when they said a nova was the end of a star's life?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova much of what we were taught was bull shit, so i'm not sure about that collapsing in on itself BS. that repeating nova list is small because we've only been keeping track for around 100 years. most cycles are probably much longer than our viewing history, and would have to nova twice to make the list.

Bjuice may not go nova for thousands of years, or it may have already happened. but it doesn't mean it's the end of it.

many postulate that all stars nova on a pattern, many of which are long term cycles. our sun may nova once every 12,068 years, or at least it's been theorized. sadly there's only one way we'll know for sure. :D