Grateful Dead ...

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Give me one album to listen to. I’ve tried but never seem to find something that connects, I’m open minded but so far haven’t seen anything that really interests me.
Dead Set

Check out Little Red Rooster, Candy Man, Loser, Deal and Brokedown Palace. If that doesn't do it, nothing will.

Oh yeah, Sugaree too:

"...please forget you knew my name my darling Sugaree..."

Brent Mydland's vocals and backing vocals are a huge part of that album.

CC Rider, Franklin's Tower, all great, The only dud on the whole album is Space.

Last edited:

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When Taupin writes verse as moving as "Ripple", I'm good.
But what of the profound depth of meaning in such Taupin-penned, immortal ballads as "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting"? :shock:

:D

Hunter did the fantastical there -- he nailed jello to the wall. Not being sarcastic, either. He got the ineffable into words, and that commands my respect.
QFT :thumb:

And to think he got his start with the Dead by sending lyrics he wrote for the band to them in the mail. :hmm:

One of many interesting things about Robert Hunter: he was actually a volunteer for a semi-famous Stanford University research program involving psychedelic substances, which was ultimately exposed as being part of the CIA's MKULTRA project. :D

The lyrics of "China Cat Sunflower" were written by Hunter while he was zonked on real Sandoz LSD-25, courtesy of the Boys from Langley. And those were the lyrics he sent to the Grateful Dead in the mail, which led to more contributions in the times ahead. :thumb:

Those who dote on the whole "Paul is Dead" thing, and who groove behind contemplation of all the weirdness of the late 60's Laurel Canyon scene, seem to also dig on trying to figure out whether or not the Grateful Dead might not themselves have actually been part of the CIA's mind control experiments. :laugh2:

Whatever the case may have been, however: Robert Hunter was a superb poet, and wrote the lyrics to a lot of their better songs.

--R

Last edited:

Roman4405

Reaction score
Dead Set

Check out Little Red Rooster, Candy Man, Loser, Deal and Brokedown Palace. If that doesn't do it, nothing will.

Oh yeah, Sugaree too:

"...please forget you knew my name my darling Sugaree..."

Brent Mydland's vocals and backing vocals are a huge part of that album.

CC Rider, Franklin's Tower, all great, The only dud on the whole album is Space.
Thanks, I’ll check this out.

NRBQ

Reaction score
I used to be in a band called The Grateful Dude. They kicked me out because I wasn't grateful enough. Damn grateful bastards.

bgh

Reaction score
Not my cuppa joe, though they have a few songs I enjoy and one ("Ripple") that really moves me. I respect what they do -- I love an improvisational approach to things, and respect the fact that they took chances on stage every night. I just don't care for the results, lol.
I do like most of "American Beauty". Like you, "Ripple" is my favorite.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I do like most of "American Beauty". Like you, "Ripple" is my favorite.
It's a beautiful lyric, sublime, and the music for it is to my ears perfectly simple. I really love the bass on it, fat, woolly, and acoustic. The simple ranged against the complex, yannow? It's pretty spiritual to me, for want of a better word.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I got to like them later in life. :dunno: Did not get it while they were happening.

Always liked the song Truckin' - was one of a few songs that prompted me to pick up a guitar.

BrianB

Reaction score
I got to like them later in life. :dunno: Did not get it while they were happening.

Always liked the song Truckin' - was one of a few songs that prompted me to pick up a guitar.
I printed up a thousand bumper stickers and went off and followed their Spring 1988 tour up the east coast starting in Atlanta. They did Truckin' that night in Atlanta, and Bobby blew the words in three straight verses. Flat out forgot them. Sang the first line of it or so, and then backed away from the mike... Jerry was just looking at the stage by his feet, shaking his head and laughing to himself.

Next show was Hampton Coliseum in Hampton VA. General admission. Got in line early and ran like hell and got essentially third or fourth row right between Bob and Jerry. Bobby was still on the stage fiddling with his gear, post soundcheck. I yelled up to him; "Hey Bob...gonna try Truckin' again tonight?" He kinda grumbled at me and stormed off the stage...

Two nights later (third night in Hampton) I managed front row in front of Brent. 2nd set and they ran thru Truckin'. Bobby got 'em all right. I leaned over as far as I could and gave a huge double thumbs up. He saw me, literally making eye contact, and smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

Fun times.

Last edited:

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I didn't hate them. But I didn't like them either.

Latest Threads