Grateful Dead ...

Frogfur

Reaction score
Jeryy Garcia was a respected gutarist, but the dead sucked.
On the other hand, Jerry Miller was fabulous.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I listened to eight hours of The Dead straight and IMO they were incredibly mediocre at best. Jerry’s best tone and playing was when he used an SG and cranked Fenders. And that was in 69!

TheWelder

Reaction score
I love the Dead. One of the greatest American rock bands of all time. Garcia and Hunter wrote some truly amazing songs together.

My favorite era is '71 - '72 when they Pigpen was still alive, Keith Godchaux had just joined on piano, and Kreutzman was the lone drummer. Some incredible songs were written in that era - I just love the space cowboy feel of those songs.

When introducing people to the Dead, I usually recommend American Beauty, Workingmans Dead, and Europe '72. If you're into those check out Live Dead and One From the Vault for a bit of a 'deeper' experience. If you're still into it (how could you not be in all honesty?), there is a veritable treasure trove of awesome recordings and bootleg live shows that span their career. Have fun 'figuring it all out!'

DotStudio

Reaction score
I can't get over the thin voices in most of their material.

That being said, I consider American Beauty to be an amazing album. Not a bad song in the bunch.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
I don't respect them.

They spiked Peter Green with bad LSD, which had a serious effect on his mental health.

Which in turn gave us the awful Stevie Nick's version of Fleetwood Mac.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I managed to catch them a few (about 30) times from '79 to about '91. It was Dead Set a live, electric double album that came out in 1981 that got me hooked. Screaming guitars, banging drums and all sorts of good ol' rock n' roll (IMO). Not all that hippy tripe. The only bad track on the two LPs is "Space."

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
I like them but I don't think I am their intended audience. If I hear them on the radio I don't change the station though, they're okay I guess.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
American Beauty album was a classic, it's great but I never got the whole bootleg obsession thing ...

danohat

Reaction score
Got in a car accident on my way to see them my one and only time. Missed all the parking lot fun. Too bad. I was ready!!!