Grateful Dead Original Members To Perform Together Again One Last Time

twst1up

Reaction score
The grateful dead is sooo much more than just the music

Wasn't ever a dead head, or a tremendous fan, but they do make me feel pretty good and bring back lots of memories

redcoats1976

Reaction score
Well....All of the recent music happenings this year has made me realize that I'm old... I have to face it....I'm in the autumn of my years. I'll be 53 in March and I know that's still a good age but with all of these great bands calling it quits, people passing away...It just breaks my spirit for a bit....

It is the end of days musically IMHO....I know when people first heard the Beatles and all that they were appalled like I am listening to Taylor Swift...But it was different too... The artists that we have lost and are losing were trailblazers and visionaries musically. They mastered their craft and took it higher than ever before.

I have a deep sadness right now.... I'll be ok though...Just got the wind knocked out of me with The ABB, Joe Cocker, The Black Crowes and now the dead... Warren Haynes is looking older too... Hang in with me my brothers.. Please..:(

you summed it up pretty well for me too.im 57 and dont know if im going to go see foghat next weekend or not.RIP lonesome dave...

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg

138679312621bad-original-1.jpg

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I've seen the Dead more times than I can remember (FWIW, Jerry was in attendance for each show, as a show without Jerry is not a Dead show). The first time I saw them was in a small bar in Nowheresville. I was 14 and a friend of mine and I had sneaked into the bar. I don't listen to them too often, these days, but I have many fond memories of their music and the joy that it brought me. That said, if I wanted to see Bob Weir and friends perform, I'd go see them. I don't. I guess I moved on.

DHBucker

Reaction score
Keith Morris would be very, very disappointed in you.

Here he is still rocking teenagers balls off, and he's now 59 (though this show is from '11)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF1cOAo7NLU

Why would he disappointed in me because recent events brought me down a little? Rather, I bet he would say yeah man I get you... Like the German Shepard that chases you when you ride sometimes but pauses if he gets a treat... I'll be on rock and roll like that dog again in a few days.... We have to realize the page has been turned man...

danohat

Reaction score
I really enjoy them. I got a chance to see them in the early nineties. I don't remember it.

TheWelder

Reaction score
My wife and I are kicking around the idea of going to one of these shows. It wouldn't be too far of a drive to Chicago from where we live and we have a free place to crash in the city.

I love the Grateful Dead's music. I also love Phish and Trey's guitar playing is a huge influence of mine. Throw Hornsby in the mix and now you have a top notch vocalist and pianist. I know it isn't really a Grateful Dead show without Jerry, obviously, but it still sounds like a damn good time to me.

duck2k

Reaction score
Q: What would Dead fans say if there wasn't pot, or dope at a Dead concert?

A: "This band sucks!":)

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I had a couple buddies back in the day that followed the Dead around for months at a time. They had tapes from like every show and those 2 dudes would listen to nothing else, Not even any Pink Floyd or other trippy ass psych rock stuff. Bored me to tears. Never ever like Garcia's guitar tone at all, almost sounds like an electric Jew's harp. I get digging the lifestyle, being a nomad and trippin balls all the time and getting stoned and banging a bunch of trust fund hippy chicks and feeling like you are like part of this whole cosmic community dude and its like all mellow and cool and stuff, but the universe knows the world is evil, and maybe we can save it like, ya know??

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I went to 15 shows between 1988 up until the time Jerry passed.

Followed them around for a summer one year. Quite the experience.

Actinic

Reaction score
I first saw the band in the 60's, in their initial years. Then Aoxomoxoa came out, and some magic was gone. Not that the album was bad, but everyone was trying to put out an experimental album like Sgt. Pepper's, including the Rolling Stones with Their Satanic Majesties Request. The Dead got back into their groove when they released Workingman's Dead. The songs on that album still have great staying power. Jerry Garcia might think that it's corny, but the band deserves to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, for not being conventional or conformist.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccnKwiCVst4[/ame]

July 4 would be a great time to see the re-formed band. It could be the last opportunity, as both the band and the fans head into their twilight years.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Why would he disappointed in me because recent events brought me down a little? Rather, I bet he would say yeah man I get you... Like the German Shepard that chases you when you ride sometimes but pauses if he gets a treat... I'll be on rock and roll like that dog again in a few days.... We have to realize the page has been turned man...

Don't take me so literally. I was trying to cheer you up by showing you that there's guys out that there that refuse to let the page turn. In fact, they're writing better material now than they did 'back in the good old days'.

Cup 1/2 full vs 1/2 empty, I guess.

NeptuneBlue

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-6YgVKtmmY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-6YgVKtmmY[/ame]

Latest Threads