Grateful Dead Original Members To Perform Together Again One Last Time

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Grateful Dead Original Members Reunite to Celebrate 50th Anniversary

"Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead" at Chicago's Soldier Field on July 3rd, 4th, and 5th, 2015

Marks the Grateful Dead Members' Final Performance Together

Event information available at Dead50.net

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Grateful Dead, the four original members — Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir — will reunite at Chicago's Soldier Field, nearly 20 years to the day of the last Grateful Dead concert, which took place at the same venue. "Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead" will occur over three nights on July 3, 4, and 5, 2015, marking the original members' last-ever performance together. The band will be joined by Trey Anastasio (guitar), Jeff Chimenti (keyboards), and Bruce Hornsby (piano). The group will perform two sets of music each night.

Wish I could go! To see them with Trey on guitar would be amazing!

I'll have to settle for downloading the shows...

acstorfer

Reaction score
Caught a lot of shows when I was a younger man. If I was to see them expecting to have the same fun, it would most likely kill me.

For those who are considering going, there is WAY more fun to be had in the parking lot than there is at the show. However if the smell of petrulli oil makes you gag, you may want to skip.

I think it was Giants Stadium where I saw them with Bruce Hornsby. He was tripping major balls! After all this time he's just part of the band I would think, but yeah yeah, he's not an original member.

Last time I saw them as the "Dead", Jerry Garcia was dead, Bob Weir atually looked more like Jerry than Jerry ever did.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Caught a lot of shows when I was a younger man. If I was to see them expecting to have the same fun, it would most likely kill me.

For those who are considering going, there is WAY more fun to be had in the parking lot than there is at the show. However if the smell of petrulli oil makes you gag, you may want to skip.

I think it was Giants Stadium where I saw them with Bruce Hornsby. He was tripping major balls! After all this time he's just part of the band I would think, but yeah yeah, he's not an original member.

Last time I saw them as the "Dead", Jerry Garcia was dead, Bob Weir atually looked more like Jerry than Jerry ever did.

I guess I had forgotten or never realized Hornsby hooked up with the Dead.

I saw him in about Feb-March '89, solo, at the Wharton Center in East Lansing, and I was astounded at his work. He did 'End Of The Innocence' which he wrote with Don Henley right before then. Henley didn't release that album until June of '89.

Beautiful song on a HUGE piano. :shock:

We had gotten a pair of tickets my ex MIL won from a radio station, but she gave them to us. I knew nothing of him, and we were blown away at his show. I remember it pretty well as my ex was pregnant with my son, who was born in early April '89.

lancpudn

Reaction score
That would be a real cool concert to attend. I got to see them in all their glory in 1972 over here in the UK.:dude:

NeptuneBlue

Reaction score

Bob-Weir.jpg

I was gonna ask what you meant... but I really don't think I need to :laugh2:

DHBucker

Reaction score
Well....All of the recent music happenings this year has made me realize that I'm old... I have to face it....I'm in the autumn of my years. I'll be 53 in March and I know that's still a good age but with all of these great bands calling it quits, people passing away...It just breaks my spirit for a bit....

It is the end of days musically IMHO....I know when people first heard the Beatles and all that they were appalled like I am listening to Taylor Swift...But it was different too... The artists that we have lost and are losing were trailblazers and visionaries musically. They mastered their craft and took it higher than ever before.

I have a deep sadness right now.... I'll be ok though...Just got the wind knocked out of me with The ABB, Joe Cocker, The Black Crowes and now the dead... Warren Haynes is looking older too... Hang in with me my brothers.. Please..:(

NRBQ

Reaction score
The best of the best of the best.....Sir........

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFjMtKBF-RI[/ame]

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I never, ever, never could get into the Dead's music. Yawn!

A very good friend of mine must have 25,000 miles of tape, containing every moment from every show that they ever performed.

I just don't get it. Watching paint dry seems like a better alternative.

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

A very good friend of mine must have 25,000 miles of tape, containing every moment from every show that they ever performed.

I'll send you some mp3s...

lunchbox

Reaction score
Well....All of the recent music happenings this year has made me realize that I'm old... I have to face it....I'm in the autumn of my years. I'll be 53 in March and I know that's still a good age but with all of these great bands calling it quits, people passing away...It just breaks my spirit for a bit....

Keith Morris would be very, very disappointed in you.

Here he is still rocking teenagers balls off, and he's now 59 (though this show is from '11)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF1cOAo7NLU[/ame]

HenryHill

Reaction score

I think it's cool they have been so popular, but I don't enjoy any of the tunes, and I couldn't name one of the albums or even a song title.

I think they have all been aliens.

At least Garcia.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll send you some mp3s...

I tried to like it. I really did. I used to think that it would help if smoked more weed, so I smoked & smoked & smoked… nothing. Someone suggested tripping. OK - give me handful of those little purple dots… nothing.

I appreciate that many people just love their music. And, actually, I think that is pretty damn cool that they do! The Dead were incredible artists.

I'm glad y'all have an opportunity to re-live it again, live. Supposedly, that's where their greatest art came to life.

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I tried to like it. I really did. I used to think that it would help if smoked more weed, so I smoked & smoked & smoked… nothing. Someone suggested tripping. OK - give me handful of those little purple dots… nothing.

And that was last week!

guthrij

Reaction score
I am a Brit Dead Head and have the ink to show. I wish I could be there.

6e4af4f8-8f72-4b83-b00c-297d723ccf2a_zpsccb5c1eb.jpg

Latest Threads