Grain Filler Expiration

IceGator8

Reaction score
I asked this question in another thread but I feel like it probably deserves its own thread.

I found an unused five year old can of Lawrence McFadden oil-based grain filler in my garage. At first I was excited because I could use it on my current build. Then ?I thought about it wondering if it ever expires.

What say you, is it good to use or should I switch to something else?

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could contact the manufacturer and ask them if the product has a shelf life...

emoney

Reaction score
I've got McFadden in the shop that's probably close, if not definitely, 5 years old and I used
some of it last week. And mine had been opened already.

You'll probably find the oil sitting on the top, so make sure you completely and thoroughly
mix it all back together. Ideally a mortar mixer attachement for the power drill works
best (the type used to mix drywall mortar). However, I've also used, on very low speed,
the wife's mixer from the kitchen. Wait.....maybe that's another reason why I'm divorced??

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Basically never, at least for the oil based stuff. At most it might dry out in the can, but a judicious addition of turpentine and some linseed oil + heavy stirring and you're back in business.

IceGator8

Reaction score
That's great news. I'll crack it open this weekend and see what I'm dealing with. It seems like there is always a lot of debate regarding grain filler but at the time I purchased this stuff was very popular. I'm excited to use it.

Latest Threads