Gotoh SD-90 MG SL Locking Tuners Installed in my 02 Standard

Leroy

Reaction score
After ten years of solid service I've decided to replace the Gibson deluxe tuners on my 02 Standard. I wanted tuners that were a direct replacement and more importantly i wanted to try locking tuners. I never had any tuning issues with the old ones but the D and G tuners were starting to have a lot of slack in them. I also liked the idea of super quick string changes which would encourage me to change them more frequently and not once in a blue moon when i could be bothered.
After a little research i decided on the Gotoh SD-90 with magnum lock (MG) and tulip keys (SL).

The old tuners

Box arrives in my mail box from OS

Contents of the Box.
Tuners plus bushings, screws, old bushings removal tool and instructions

The new screws are a little longer than the Gibson ones

I started by only replacing the D tuner.
Old bushings came out easy with a little encouragement with a rubber mallet and the removal tool.

The gotohs are a perfect replacement for the old deluxe tuners. New bushings went in with only a small amount of tapping, overall snug as a bug and the screw holes are spot on as well. The longer screws went in with no issues.

D tuner installed
New tuner is top left

Bottom left

All of the others went in just as easy.
Strung up quickly.
The tuners feel really solid and well made. I can't comment on how well they stay in tune until i've done a few rehearsals and a gig or two.

Overall i'm really happy with them and was very glad that they were a drop in replacement.
Aesthetically they look really good. They're a lot shinier than the old but i'm comparing brand new to ten years old. The keys are perfect match for the old ones. The only difference there is that they seem to be a millimeter or two longer in the shaft.

Final pics of the full install

Leroy

barricwiley

Reaction score
Very nice and wouldn't even know they were locking tuners.

Leroy

Reaction score
Just did a gig at the Espy in Melbourne on the weekend. I sucked, but the tuners
worked flawlessly without any issues.
Two thumbs up from me for these tuners. :thumb::thumb:

Leroy

danlee0502

Reaction score
NICE! I was planing to get this and was wondering if they any good, cuz it was hard for me to find locking vintage style lp tuners, and I dont think a grover or spertzel would look good on a lp standard. but thankfully gotoh has this =) and damn great job !

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good. :dude::dude:

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
I like that they retain the original old school look.

Findthetone

Reaction score
I put the same set on my 96 Classic about 6 months ago. I also wanted direct replacement and a stock look. These fit the bill perfectly and function without any issues. Highly recommend them :thumb:

Trio

Reaction score
Leroy -

I have the same kit and want to replace the tuners in my 2003 Standard.

I'm concerned with removing the original bushings and putting in the new ones. Can you go into more detail about how you did the removal and replacement without damaging the headstock?

Thanks,
Trio

Findthetone

Reaction score
Leroy -

I have the same kit and want to replace the tuners in my 2003 Standard.

I'm concerned with removing the original bushings and putting in the new ones. Can you go into more detail about how you did the removal and replacement without damaging the headstock?

Thanks,
Trio
Trio, I'm sure Leroy will chime in as well but I'm glad to give you some tips. The tuners come with a small aluminum punch to drive the old bushings out and install the new ones. It was a very easy process but then again mine went into a 17 yr old guitar. If your new bushings seem really tight, put them in a freezer for a couple of hours.

Trio

Reaction score
Trio, I'm sure Leroy will chime in as well but I'm glad to give you some tips. The tuners come with a small aluminum punch to drive the old bushings out and install the new ones. It was a very easy process but then again mine went into a 17 yr old guitar. If your new bushings seem really tight, put them in a freezer for a couple of hours.
Thanks for the reply.

I have the punch and the instructions. I have not removed the old bushings yet.

What I'm interested in is learning more about a good technique to use to drive the old bushings out by tapping with a hammer/rubber mallet. Like how do you do it safely without causing any damage.

Taking a whack at the headstock has me concerned.

Trio

Leroy

Reaction score
I did the same as Findthetone did. I used the removal tool and a rubber mallet. I gently tapped from the back and they just came out. I had to hit it firmly but nothing to drastic. When replacing them I used the gotoh bushings and the removal tool to hit then in from the front. Don't worry too much, just do it.

Leroy

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I have the punch and the instructions. I have not removed the old bushings yet.

What I'm interested in is learning more about a good technique to use to drive the old bushings out by tapping with a hammer/rubber mallet. Like how do you do it safely without causing any damage.

Taking a whack at the headstock has me concerned.

Trio
I know that when drilling to widen posts holes it's good to tape around the hole to prevent nitro chipping. Try that around that area when you decide to tap them out.

Leroy

Reaction score
Mine have been going strong since i first installed them. I do know that Gotoh will replace without question any faulty parts.

Leroy

SkunkWorks

Reaction score
Mine have been going strong since i first installed them. I do know that Gotoh will replace without question any faulty parts.

Leroy
Hmmm. It was 3 years ago and second hand so I don't think I'll get much help there, and I don't even know if it has faulty parts or just has a problem with the design. When I looked into it at the time, I saw that I wasn't the only one with the issue. I came across someone with more than one set of them and they all did it.

Latest Threads