Got Yellow Astrons?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Got any yellow molded Astrons? I might have a fun project for us.

If you followed any of my 1960s and 1970s Fender and Marshall restoration threads, you know I can be a bit of a snob about keeping the amps looking correct on the inside, as well as sounding right.

I have three late 1950s Tweed projects on my plate right now and there really seems to be no great option for replacing the yellow molded Astron caps. Nothing aftermarket is really right and originals seem to be at least as failure prone as bumblebees and wax paper caps.

I'm going to try home molding some and printing the text on them. Only problem is, I don't have any originals to get the sizes / shapes / colors just right. Thought some of you amp builders / repairers / tinkerers in this forum might happen to have some, pulled in service or even from personal amps.

I was wondering if I could borrow a few to use as examples? I won't harm them, but they also don't even need to work. Could be entirely dead, electrically. I just want to copy the outside physical traits correctly. No point in doing a thing that's only kinda right

I'll send them back and, if it works out (I think it will) I'll also send you some that I make for your trouble.

I'm working on something similar for the paper Mallory / Astron electrolytics, too, but I have plenty of examples of those already. Same with the Mica Molds, I have the samples already.

These adorable little guys...
zpbpzo65yuqlyjafibyv.jpg

These would be the most helpful values / sizes:

.02uF 400v

.02uF 600v

.05uF 600v

.1uF 200v

.1uF 400v

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to make a product and sell it. This is just for my own personal amp restorations. I am happy to share any I come up with for free with anyone who helps by lending a few originals for the mold, though.

NotScott

Reaction score
I think I have some yellow Astrons laying around. If I can find them, I will let you know what I have and you are welcome to use them. Actually, I have a complete circuit board from a vintage 5E3 in my parts closet. I MAY be able to send you that but we would have to talk about that first.

As for the paper ones, it is usually simple enough to slide the paper cover off an old cap and slide it over a new replacement. That is how I did my 60 Deluxe a while ago.

I will message you in the morning.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I make it a point to avoid restoring old amps, but every now and then it happens. As such I don't have much in the way of old caps. Will any of these be of help?

cap.jpg

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I make it a point to avoid restoring old amps, but every now and then it happens. As such I don't have much in the way of old caps. Will any of these be of help?

View attachment 628016

Thank you. I'm not sure if the .01uF 600v caps are the same size as any of the ones I'm looking for. Do you happen to know? If they are physically the same size, I could use them and just alter the text for my mold.

NotScott

Reaction score
Here is my stash that came out of my original 1959 Bassman. You are welcome to borrow any of them.

Values are:

.05uF @ 600V x2
.1uF @ 200V x2
.02uF @ 400V x3

fA6pxey.jpg

I am still looking for my board from my 60 Deluxe.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Here is my stash that came out of my original 1959 Bassman. You are welcome to borrow any of them.

Values are:

.05uF @ 600V x2
.1uF @ 200V x2
.02uF @ 400V x3

fA6pxey.jpg

I am still looking for my board from my 60 Deluxe.
Those are perfect! Let me know about the 5E3 board, too. I happen to have a use for that!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Still need:

.02uF 600v

I bought a few other less desirable values off eBay to do some destructive tests. I think they are tin foil, not aluminum like the blue Ajax caps, but I'm not positive yet.

Latest Threads