Got wood?

Bellows1

Reaction score
I have a wood question for a LP project my son and I are planning for this winter.

What woods work for the body and neck? I've seen mahogany, but would cherry or maple, oak, beach, walnut... any hardwood... or softwood?

Is there an advantage to a single slab vs. glued up or a laminated? I would think a laminated neck would be stronger, more stable.

What about the binding? Sorry to sound stupid, but is the binding wood or plastic?

Is there any sources you could list for wood supplies.

Thank you, Bill

Winterls

Reaction score
First off, the binding is plastic. If you're planning an LP project id suggest mahogany neck and body with a maple top, like a usual LP.
About a laminated or slap neck, I think the main difference would be the sustain,
but don't take my word for it :) .
Hope I helped. :D

Bellows1

Reaction score
First off, the binding is plastic. If you're planning an LP project id suggest mahogany neck and body with a maple top, like a usual LP.
About a laminated or slap neck, I think the main difference would be the sustain,
but don't take my word for it :) .
Hope I helped. :D

Yes you did thank you.

A search of the forum also turned up some helpful information.

ExNihilo

Reaction score
I am hoping to build two Les Pauls soon. One will be with the standard South American Mahogany and Maple, but for the other one I am thinking of doing a chambered LP using Black Walnut for the body and neck.

Latest Threads