Got the cops called on me today.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
BEFORE YOU READ THIS, THiS WAS A NON EVENT AND NO BIG DEAL...JUST A FIRST FOR ME.

As you guys know I am a salesman. A while back I sold one customer over 6 grand worth of merchandise. His wife and I both tried to talk him out of that big of a purchase because it was complete overkill and unnecessary. He had perfect credit and financed the amount through my company. Well he has not been making his payments. He is 800 behind in payments and refuses to answer his phone or text messages or anything.

Today I drove to his house and knocked on his door...I could hear em talking inside but no answer...I knocked again and still no answer.... I waited a few minutes and knocked again and two girls came to the door. One of em 14 the other a toddler.

I asked for their parents and she told me they were not home. I told her their cars were right there, i knew they were home and i needed to please speak to them. She dropped her head and said OK and went back into the house. I waited and waited and knocked again.....no one answered.

I went to my vehicle and was making phone calls and here the dad comes walking up the block....kind of appeared from between houses so I know he went out his back door and came around to make it look like he was just getting home. I Got out of my truck to talk to him and he began yelling at me to stay off his property and telling me he was calling the cops for me harassing a 14 year old girl... I never said ANYTHING bad or even loud to her.

I went back to my vehicle and called home office to let em know what was going on. I put the truck in drive to leave and his wife starts mooing at me from their porch to not leave because the cops were on their way. I turned the truck off and waited.

Cop talked to them while I sat in my truck and I could hear her telling lie after lie. Cop came to my truck I informed him I was armed. He was 100% professional. I told him what was going on and he told me that OBVIOUSLY the guy had been home and he knew I did nothing wrong. I showed him documentation that proved the woman was lying. I told him if they never wanna see me or hear from me again to just pay. He acted as if he was well familiar with the family. He told me I was free to go and he went back to talk to talk to them...10 minutes later home office called me sayingbhe called em and set up arrangements to get current. I would wager the cop gave em an ear full based on how he acted.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I do not HAVE to do collections. And I did nothing at all even remotely illegal or that would have made a rational person even angry... In 30 years of doing what I do i can count on one hand the number of times that I have went to a door to collect and 3 of them were here. We have a collections dept but face to face generally works when other things don't.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer but here you go.
Write this (or better yet, have it written by a lawyer!) on every contract you sign:
"Merchandise remains property of the seller until paid in full.
The seller can repossess any merchandise not paid in full if buyer
defaults payment in any way for a period of 60 days."

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer but here you go.
Write this (or better yet, have it written by a lawyer!) on every contract you sign:
"Merchandise remains property of the seller until paid in full.
The seller can repossess any merchandise not paid in full if buyer
defaults payment in any way for a period of 60 days."
Its on the contract

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
You were lucky this time, bad people can twist things up easily. Next time get everything on video, use a smart phone or a body cam in your shirt pocket.
Never came close to anyone but the kids...closed screen door between us. But you are probably right.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
That line gave me a chuckle.
I want to exoand on this but will sound racist....... lets just say he is a very.... small...... black.... guy....... She is none of those 3

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I want to exoand on this but will sound racist....... lets just say he is a very (1).... small (2)...... black (3).... guy (4)....... She is none of those 3

:laugh2:

Glad you didn't arrested or anything.

+1 for recording all future interactions with a cell phone. Cover your ass.

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help, I'm a cop!
Help, I'm a rock
It's a drag being a cop
I think I'd rather be the mayor

redjunior

Gak!.... Bozos!
Reaction score
If he was just coming home, how did he know you had talked to his daughter? Sounds like a real richard he does......

Reactions: Who

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
If he was just coming home, how did he know you had talked to his daughter? Sounds like a real richard he does......
Yeah even the cop said he was obviously inside and slipped out the back to look like he had just gotten home. I told the cop I have been in business 30 years . Asked him if he thought I did that by harassing customers and little girls. Cop was extremely cool. When I told him I was armed he basically said yeah...so.

sk8rat

Reaction score
regardless of how much money they owe you and how bad they were acting, it was a bad call on your part to say anything to the kid imo.

Mockbel

Reaction score
regardless of how much money they owe you and how bad they were acting, it was a bad call on your part to say anything to the kid imo.

I don't consider a statement like "I want to speak to your parents" as a conversation !
He did nothing wrong IMHO but yeah it is a lesson to learn... difficult cop would make much trouble out of this situation !

Latest Threads