Got some pedals today - How did I do?

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Boss makes some amazing pedals, I love the GE-7 and DD-3 on my board. I don't use the NS-2 (yet) as I'm still working on layout and function as well as slowly replacing the big box stuff with custom gear.

I'm dying to grab a Crybaby... I have the Dime version but wouldn't mind nabbing a barebones version just for kicks.

You need to give us clips of these pedals playing with the Hellfire, wouldn't mind hearing how it interacts with pedals!

randelli

Reaction score
Where can I get a decent 9v adapter? I guess I just need to order a BOSS, or is there something out there that I can get locally?

The auto wah is kinda fun but may too gimmicky? He needs a pedal tuner so I may sell or trade it off. What else is he missing? Maybe a reverb?

DagerOne

Reaction score
The GE-7 alone is worth $36, IMO. I put it in front of my Peavey Classic 50 for a bit of boost, too.

randelli

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I gutted the Crybaby, bought a 470K Dunlop pot, and now he has a cool volume / expression pedal - $23

I bought him a TU-3 today for $50.

Now I need a Compressor and Blues Driver to wrap it all up. Oh, and rebuild MY Crybaby back to spec.

randelli

Reaction score
You're one cool dad that's for sure.

I don't know about that, I've done plenty of dumb things too...

Here is the almost finished board. I have a compressor and '65 FDR pedal coming. Still looking for a few more pedals. I have two of these pedals for sale if anyone is interested:

pedalboard.jpg

StormJH1

Reaction score
Nice! The '65 Reverb has an overdrive component to it, right? If not, the Blues Driver will definitely handle that. I like to have heavier and lighter variations of dirt on my board, but other people find that to be redundant. Looks like a nice board!

v-man

Reaction score
I think you got a terrific deal (one I'd probably jump on for the bargain as well), but IMHO that's all trade bait. Everybody has their own tastes but I have yet to find a Boss pedal that ever wowed me.

LKB3rd

Reaction score
I use a ge-7 last in my chain and it's great for certain sounds. Eddie Van halen brown sound, jack up the third slider from the top. Led Zep, I bump the two highest sliders up one notch for a treble boost. More of a modern heavy Tool type sound, i give the low mids a slight boost. It gives you a lot of versatility without having to buy 5 different overdrives. You can contor the eq for variety. I do this all with a Wampler "Brent Mason mod" tube screamer. This mod flattens out the eq, adds a lot more gain and volume, and improves the tone control.
If the fuzz pedal sounds woofy, I can cut the lowest slider to tighten it up. Etc...
I find that less is more, if you move them too much it gets hissy. I modded my ge-7 with a replacement chip and it cut the hiss way down. Analogman will do the mod for you, and he also adds more range to the sliders. Worth it in my opinion, especially being way ahead of the game with the steal of a price you got those for.

LPbuc

Reaction score
Guitar > Crybaby > Dynamic Wah > Noise Suppressor (should always be early in chain and preferably first so you can put it in front of the wah too) > Smash Box > Equalizer > Super Chorus > Digital Delay > Amp

Noise suppressor first? :laugh2:

Absolutely the opposite of where it should be. Its a GATE. You want it after the pedals that induce NOISE in the chain (like gain based effects).

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Absolutely the opposite of where it should be. Its a GATE. You want it after the pedals that induce NOISE in the chain (like gain based effects).

oooh, controversial!

LPbuc

Reaction score
Where?

A gate goes after the noise, not in front of it, and anyone who has ever used one can tell you that.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
no argument from me, but i like how you said it. plus, there's a LOT of people out there stick them at the front of their board, which was the reason for my "controversial" comment.

and yeah, i don't use one anymore.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i'm always surprised how people ignore the loop part as well.

randelli

Reaction score
OK line me up.

Crybaby cannot move - it is first
Volume cannot move - it is last
Throw away the Smashbox and Dynamic Wah

Organize these between the Crybaby and Volume:
Noise suppressor
EQ
Delay
Chorus
Compressor/Sustain
Blues Driver
Reverb

randelli

Reaction score
and what loop part?? Remember I know NOTHING about pedals - just trying to get my son set up.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score

:lol: :shock:

Nope. First so it goes through the whole chain. I don't like the loop and I've yet to see favorite players use it either. The idea is not to make certain pedals quieter but the whole rig quieter. Simple as that, I'm afraid. Same with effects loop on an amp. Cool thought, but very few pros I know use it - most go through the front of the amp.

zontar

Reaction score
Throw away the Smashbox and Dynamic Wah

I'll take the Dynamic Wah--if you're just tossing it
I have one and love it--then I could have each set differently...

Latest Threads