Got some pedals today - How did I do?

randelli

Reaction score
OK, so I am not much of a pedal guy, so I don't know what I have here....

My son built his first DIY distortion pedal circuit over the weekend. I was talking about it with some of the guys at work; and a new guy said he had some pedals for sale.

This is what I bought:

Crybaby GCB-95
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
BOSS Digital Delay DD-5
BOSS Noise Suppressor NS-2
BOSS Equalizer GE-7
BOSS Dynamic Wah AW-3
Ibanez Smash Box SM7

Give me some info on these pedals - what they can do, if they are good or crap, etc...

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Nice!!! HNPD!

You need to get a nice BOSS OD pedal now! For new, I recommend an OD-3. For a used BOSS try to find an SD-2. Best BOSS dirtbox of all time.

randelli

Reaction score
After my initial run through:

Crybaby GCB-95 Scratchy pot - I can fix that
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1 - pretty nice
BOSS Digital Delay DD-5 - kinda cool
BOSS Noise Suppressor NS-2 - didn't work, probably dead battery
BOSS Equalizer GE-7 - didn't work, probably dead battery
BOSS Dynamic Wah AW-3 - pretty cool
Ibanez Smash Box SM7 - didn't work, probably dead battery

I will spend some time and clean these up, check the batteries, find a power supply, and give them a proper going-over.

cabowabo

Reaction score
i just got a boss gt 10 processor it was used once ,got it for 350 i think its a good deal

randelli

Reaction score
Some of these are really old (crybaby) but some look to be in fairly good shape. I guess I need to find the little connector cords now.

What order, guitar to amp, should these go in? No effects loop so they will hit the front end of the preamp.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Some of these are really old (crybaby) but some look to be in fairly good shape. I guess I need to find the little connector cords now.

What order, guitar to amp, should these go in? No effects loop so they will hit the front end of the preamp.

Guitar > Crybaby > Dynamic Wah > Noise Suppressor (should always be early in chain and preferably first so you can put it in front of the wah too) > Smash Box > Equalizer > Super Chorus > Digital Delay > Amp

TeaForTwo

The Guitar Whisperer
Reaction score
May I point out that if he plays through a "Rude Mood" amp, he can skip the pedals...

TeaForTwo

The Guitar Whisperer
Reaction score
Of course, when I get myself one of your amps, I'll use many pedals with it...
Your amps are fantastic.....

zontar

Reaction score
The AW-3 is a fun pedal, and works great with bass as well.
You can use it in subtle ways and go over the top with it as well as lots of places in between.

I love mine.

I put a distortion pedal in front of it, and another after it-so as I wish I can wah the distortion, distort the wah, or I can do both.

Enjoy!
That's part of what cool about pedals--messing around with them o do cool stuff--even if you'd never actually use it live or in a recording--they can be fun just to mess with...

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Of course, when I get myself one of your amps, I'll use many pedals with it...
Your amps are fantastic.....

I've heard a lot of great things! The idea of a DR and a Plexi in one box sounds mighty appealing! Especially the DR side since I'm a Fender clean amp nut.

I'd use pedals with it too - even if I had a freaking Dumble I'd still use distortion/overdrive/boost pedals. :laugh2: That's just the way I roll. I marvel at an amp's clean tone and what it can do at clean or slightly broken up tone and then I use pedals for the rest.

Kalz

Reaction score
You did terrible send them all to me... lol just kidding HNPD m8! I love the dd5. I have a dd7 but I wanna pair the two even though I have a dd20 >.>

randelli

Reaction score
I went through my son's HELLFIRE because the pedals will end up with him. I am sure they will sound great through the RUDE MOOD too :cool:

The pedals came with a power chain (if that is the right term) but the adapter is a 12V so I do not want to plug that in. I can plug the adapter to the Noise Gate and daisy chain from there. All of the pedals work with fresh batteries so that is a plus ;)

randelli

Reaction score
Looks like a chunky / high distortion pedal with a built in noise gate.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgkhhfMHzI4]Ibanez SM7 Smashbox Pedal Demo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywICiBNOkCY&feature=related]Ibanez SM7 Smash Box distortion pedal demo - YouTube[/ame]

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
Don't disparage an old Crybaby! I played a 44 year old Crybaby, and eventually sold it for $400!

Iron Broadsword

Reaction score
If you take it apart and take a look at the circuit board, it'll say Rev. A or B or whatever it is. If memory serves there is no date in there but I may very well be wrong on that.

Anyways congrats! Hopefully you got a decent deal on them.. there are some good ones in there and some great ones. :)

Iron Broadsword

Reaction score
You paid $36 for all that?

Dude seriously.. that is quite impressive. You could resell them and make a good deal of cash!

Latest Threads