Got my first true Gibson LP, 19' Trad Pro V

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
So found this on GC used section. Said was in fair condition, broken headstock repair, damaged in shipping. Pics looked awesome so decided to roll the dice. I live in the boonies, and GC return policy is good.

Got it in today, and on inspection it's a new guitar, case is unused and case candy was there. Whoever repaired headstock is a magician. I can't tell any break in the finish or the wood grain. Mis-listed as broken headstock or worlds best repair???? Either way, I got a good deal and I'm happy. Played it a bit tonight, and after lowering action to something reasonable and lowering pickup, I'm digging it. I've been playing various Epiphone LP's but have always GAS'd for a true Gibson. I can't say I'll sell on my Epi's, but the Gibson is quite nice.

I love the color, the top is nicely figured(although I still GAS for a flame top Gibson-it's a sickness).

I wasn't sure if I was going to like the neck. It's listed as asymmetrical in the specs. Time will tell, but for the hour or so I played it tonight, it seemed like the best of both worlds. I like the fuller 50's necks on a couple of my Epi's for playing Kiss songs(classic makeup stuff) and I like the more modern slim C/D shape of my newer Epi Customs for the 80's metal stuff I like to try and play. This neck seems to just feel nice. Feels full when playing the low strings/chords and feels fast when playing the high strings and hitting notes at higher frets seems much easier. Could all be the Kool-Aid I'm drinking, but so far really digging it. Only thing I'm not sold on is the pickups. I'm going to have to really play around tomorrow on my day off and see how I like/don't like the sound compared to other guitars. I think I'll end up liking them, it's just they are quite different than my Epi's which aren't great pu's, but I guess I'm kinda used to them.

IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1684 (3).JPG
IMG_1686 (2).JPG
IMG_1687 (2).JPG
IMG_1688 (2).JPG

Last edited:

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea it's been repaired nicely.....Should be even stronger now. Nice guitar !! I have a lot of guitars and find it easy to swap between them with a ge-7 eq pedal on my board without messing with my amp settings. Works well... maybe consider trying one.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
yeah I need to invest in a good EQ.

And yeah I thought that "inset" of wood was the only "tell" of the repair. I can't see any finish interruptions. Not sure how in the hell they did that, but I don't care. It looks good to me, some of those repairs looks like cousin Eddy took some Elmer's glue and a few rubber bands and slapped it together! I don't need a mint case queen. I want a player, and so far I'm digging it! Eventually, my dumb ass wants to play some greasy bar band gigs, and I don't need anything too nice/$$$ to where I'm afraid to take it out. My Epi's are awesome in that regard. Decent all around guitars, you wouldn't slit your wrist if they got stolen or damaged. I could see myself gigging this, if I ever got good enough ;)

endial

Reaction score
Dang. That's a pretty damn nice repair job there. Nice looking guitar. I want a wino one day.

Nice score!

JMP

Reaction score
Congratulations! With the used guitar market so outa control (inflated prices), it’s nice to hear that someone out there in the world got a good deal.
Keep it and play it lots!

brianbzed

Reaction score
So found this on GC used section. Said was in fair condition, broken headstock repair, damaged in shipping. Pics looked awesome so decided to roll the dice. I live in the boonies, and GC return policy is good.

Got it in today, and on inspection it's a new guitar, case is unused and case candy was there. Whoever repaired headstock is a magician. I can't tell any break in the finish or the wood grain. Mis-listed as broken headstock or worlds best repair???? Either way, I got a good deal and I'm happy. Played it a bit tonight, and after lowering action to something reasonable and lowering pickup, I'm digging it. I've been playing various Epiphone LP's but have always GAS'd for a true Gibson. I can't say I'll sell on my Epi's, but the Gibson is quite nice.

I love the color, the top is nicely figured(although I still GAS for a flame top Gibson-it's a sickness).

I wasn't sure if I was going to like the neck. It's listed as asymmetrical in the specs. Time will tell, but for the hour or so I played it tonight, it seemed like the best of both worlds. I like the fuller 50's necks on a couple of my Epi's for playing Kiss songs(classic makeup stuff) and I like the more modern slim C/D shape of my newer Epi Customs for the 80's metal stuff I like to try and play. This neck seems to just feel nice. Feels full when playing the low strings/chords and feels fast when playing the high strings and hitting notes at higher frets seems much easier. Could all be the Kool-Aid I'm drinking, but so far really digging it. Only thing I'm not sold on is the pickups. I'm going to have to really play around tomorrow on my day off and see how I like/don't like the sound compared to other guitars. I think I'll end up liking them, it's just they are quite different than my Epi's which aren't great pu's, but I guess I'm kinda used to them.

View attachment 521866 View attachment 521867 View attachment 521868 View attachment 521869 View attachment 521870 View attachment 521871 View attachment 521872
nice guitar! I love my Wino- a Trad Pro II....! rock on!!
09 (6).jpg

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Oh boy! This is a sickness!!!!
I wanted a flame right? I like the knobs on this Trad Pro V more, but that's and easy fix. I think this has a similar neck to the Trad Pro V, asymmetrical as listed and I think maybe even compound radius as well like the trad pro V. HRMMM!!!
Not sure if this is a Standard T or what though.

Attachments

Last edited:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Played it several hours today. Really love it!!! The pickups are really growing on me, and play 80's metal super awesome. Seem to be punchier and have alot more mid's vs my Epi Pro buckers. I do have one epi, that has Gibson 57's and those probably sound best out of all the Ep's, but they tend to start falling flat or washed out at higher distortion. These picksups seem almost opposite. They seem to gobble up the overdrive and sound great. I'm in love with the neck. This guitar is my easiest to play LP(well among the Epi's and this). I have my Epi's setup nicely, but I"m not sure if it's the neck shape or what, but almost everything I try to play, just seems a bit easier, and sounds a bit better as a result.

Latest Threads